Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Anatomy of a blackhole

by Rick S / November 21, 2006 2:23 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anatomy of a blackhole
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anatomy of a blackhole
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) wow!!!!!!!! excellent !! thanks rick....
by jonah jones / November 21, 2006 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Anatomy of a blackhole
Collapse -
I was just reading an
by Dan McC / November 21, 2006 4:54 AM PST

article about a black hole that was just measured to be spinning at 950 revolutions per second.

Dan

Collapse -
Very nice. Thanks Rick. It's amazing how people are getting
by Ziks511 / November 21, 2006 8:27 PM PST

interested in cosmology. There's now a free monthly lecture at one of the trendy cafes in Toronto, called the Rivoli, where I used to go to see new music, offered by University Professors. Apparently, according to yesterday's newspaper article, it draws 500 people regularly. And apparently the requests to audit Physics courses at the U of T are way up too.

I'm trying to learn the other end of that sort of physics i.e. particle physics, so that I can explain it to others in the book I'm working on, but not being a Mathematician is a grave handicap. I can't understand half of what is written in Abraham Pais' book Inward Bound, which is the most accessible unsimplified book about that sort of thing. I'm hoping to impose on Nathan Isgur's many students to talk me through it so that I can be reasonably coherent and (hopefully) clear. The idea of the book is an overview of the history of physics juxtaposed with his life so that when we get to his graduate work I will be talking about Quantum Chromodynamics (his field) i.e. the world of quarks and gluons and their interactions, with some clarity and comprehensibility. Publication if I am lucky remains a good 2 1/2 years or more away, but it keeps me from hanging around street corners mugging old folkies for their latest CD purchases.

Rob

Collapse -
great stuff! keep 'em coming
by WOODS-HICK / November 21, 2006 10:50 PM PST

wish I had a computer available when I started school. I have read some on black holes but the visual explanation takes an immense concept and allows my little mind to grasp it. here is what was available 15 yrs AFTER my hs graduation:

Once dubbed the MicroPET during the 1980 Computer Electronics Show, it later became known as the VIC-20. VIC referenced the VIC-I (Video Interface Chip) chip used for graphics and sound. There does not seem to be any obvious rationale behind the usage of the number 20, other than the fact that it was close to the 22 characters per line and to the combined RAM and ROM memory in the machine (5 KB RAM + 16 KB ROM).

side-note: in the advanced program I was entered. my hs freshman first semester(1961) included typing. college prep? maybe. I never went to college. growing up our definition of street-wise was that we were attending SWU (sidewalk university)

Collapse -
A lot of progress has been made....
by Angeline Booher / November 22, 2006 1:33 AM PST

... since the days when space and time were absolutes.

Your post certainly gave me a better understanding of what black holes are.

The 3 theories of what would happen if a rocket was to enter one boggled my mind, especially the one re: a third dimension.

Thanks!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.