Peripherals forum

General discussion

Analog vs. DVI connection for new monitor

by jhopp / December 1, 2008 4:12 AM PST

I just bought a 22" Samsung Monitor and wanted to know if it's worth also buying a DVI card. Approx how much does a DVI card cost, will I see much difference from the current analog connection. I'm running an older Compaq XP desktop.

Joe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Analog vs. DVI connection for new monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Analog vs. DVI connection for new monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 5:06 AM PST

I just set up a HP 22 inch. It's at 1680x1050@60Hz and connected with VGA. Looks great. So I'm not changing a thing.

Collapse -
DVI/VGA
by Phil Crase / December 1, 2008 10:45 PM PST

I have 2 systems both similar, one running VGA one DVI, both Viewsonic monitors. Split a hair, they both look great, save your money unless you are upgrading the system with vid card for gaming.

Collapse -
Thanks
by jhopp / December 2, 2008 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: DVI/VGA

Thanks, I appreciate your advice. I haven't had anyone yet recommend an upgrade to DVI.

Collapse -
dvi to hdmi
by be4ugo2 / December 9, 2008 1:43 PM PST
In reply to: DVI/VGA

have u had any experience with this adaptor. i keep reading about and have seen the wire; people are connecting dvi computor to there hdmi tv sets; how is this working for people; are they really recieving high definition tv via this method, if you have the tunere card or play a dvd connected to your hd tv using this wire adaptor, dvi t hdmi, does it work , high def tv.......

Collapse -
Works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2008 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: dvi to hdmi

I used a DVD-D to HDMI and all that I had to remember is that the sound is not going over HDMI. Some may call that "a failure."

Does that help?

Did you know about DVD-D and DVI-I and such?

Collapse -
hdmi and dvi
by be4ugo2 / December 11, 2008 4:34 PM PST
In reply to: Works.

thanks for answering my inquirey. i am not familiar with dvdd or dvii. heres the deal. i have a relatively new laptop, thought it was top of the line, hp dv9017cl, 200gb, dual hard drive with 100gb each, windows xp sp 3, media center addition; which means i am able, with an anolog tv tuner to put my screen on the tv, however, the cable attaches to the tv tuner card and run audio from my spif or whatever to the tv with red and white wires, works just fine. however, my laptop does not have hdmi but does have a dvi and i keep hereing about the converter wire that converts dvi to hdmi. as of now i dont have hdmi in on my tv but i am considering a tv purchase before feb o9, when the big hd tv change takes place. seems like i have also seen and hd digital tv tuner card i could purcase, what do they run? does it have an hdmi connection; audio and video. it really doesnt matter to me if i have to run seperate audio, as long as i can recieve hd; however, the other thought is that, do i have sufficient pixals to actually see hd tv with this 1400x900 widescreen laptop.; it does have nvidia 7600 geforce with 256 discrete video memory, whatever..........what are your thoughts on this philosophy. but no, im not familiar with dvd-d or dvi-i, whats that.........let me know if you know anything about what i have said, regarding the digital hd tuner card and my system or the dvi to hdmi converter, anyway to set this up or am im going to be stuck with anolog, not to mention blu ray..........

Collapse -
So what kind of DVI does it have?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2008 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: hdmi and dvi

Look at the specs on your dv9017cl and tell me.
"im not familiar with dvd-d or dvi-i, whats that.."

Please use search engines on such when you need to catch up on the new stuff as it saves me from rewriting it.
Bob

Collapse -
response to dvd-d and dvi-i or d
by be4ugo2 / December 14, 2008 11:34 AM PST

sorry, if i have wasted your time; thought i was responding to someone elses inquirey and need to know that answer myself, as well as the others, sorry, again for sturbing you; however, if anyone knows what these things are and how to to ge hd tv using a laptop with onl dvi and an anolog tv tuner card, please let me know what i need to get to see hd tv on my laptop hp dv9017cl, dual hd, 200gb, media center addition running windows xp sp3, etc.......have some nice holidays and certainly dont wont to agitate anyone, humble pie.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?