Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Analog video to ieee 1394

by pretensky / March 21, 2007 9:14 AM PDT

My son wants to transfer VHS tapes into his Mac so he can edit them with iMovie. Are there any reasonably priced Composite video to IEEE1394 converters available?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Analog video to ieee 1394
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Analog video to ieee 1394
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hint: Many camcorders do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 9:59 AM PDT

It could be the easy way.

Bob

Collapse -
video conversion
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 10:26 AM PDT

What you are trying to do is convert analog video to digital video. IEEE1394 (Firewire) is just the means of transporting the converted video to the Mac.
There have been a number of discussions about this subject recently.

If you have a digital movie camera, it almost certainly has a IEEE1394 connection on it. It may also have RCA Video connections. A look at the manual may reveal that it is possible to use the camera as a analog to digital convertor.

You may also want to take a look at www.canopus.com They sell analog to digital convertors that use IEEE1394 connections.

P

Collapse -
i know!
by The_Dude7 / April 1, 2007 12:04 AM PDT

most video camera's(the good ones) that are digital have a analog pass through for you to do stuff like that. but if you don't i would suggest the Data Video DAC-200 its a by-directional analog-digital converter. yes it is a little steep in price but it is worth it.

http://www.datavideo.us/fs/products/dac200_fs.htm

Collapse -
Analog video to ieee 1394
by pretensky / April 1, 2007 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: i know!

Thanks to everyone for your help. My son does indeed have a digital video camera with that capability. He just didn't think he could use it that way. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him about it....Thanks again

Collapse -
(NT) Glad we could help
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 1, 2007 8:12 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.