Video Cameras forum

General discussion

analog-digital passthrough with sony vegas studio

by bobtbentley / April 11, 2006 7:28 AM PDT

I'm capturing old Hi8 tapes to computer via analog-digital passthrough using a Canon Elura 100. I have a trial version of Sony Vegas Studio but it doesn't allow me to capture video with my setup. I have a Sony Hi8 HandyCam with the old tape inserted hooked up to my Elura 100 (with no tape) which is hooked up via firewire to the computer. When I go to capture it prompts me to insert a dv tape in the Elura. If I insert a tape it just tries to capture what is on the dv tape. If I don't insert a dv tape the sound comes through to the computer from the Hi8 tape but no video registers. The capture button is grayed out preventing me from capturing anything. I've heard good things about Sony Vegas but analog-digital conversion is essential. What do you think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: analog-digital passthrough with sony vegas studio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: analog-digital passthrough with sony vegas studio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've done this with Vegas 5 and I suspect 6 will do it, but
by Kiddpeat / April 11, 2006 9:22 AM PDT

haven't tried it yet. I don't have time to look at it right now, but will try to do it this week if no one else responds before then.

I can't vouch for the Studio version.

In the meantime, can you see the video on the Elura's LCD when the Hi8 is playing? The Elura CANNOT have a tape in it for this to work. It certainly involves a Vegas option to start capturing from the tape's current position. That is, it should not be telling the camera to rewind.

Another thought is that I've got an old Sony that I use for this. It may not tell Vegas as much about its status.

As I said, I'll try to play with this in the next few days.

Collapse -
And my favorite toy is WINDV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 9:40 AM PDT

Let WINDV have a go at this.

Bob

Collapse -
OK
by bobtbentley / April 11, 2006 12:31 PM PDT

I'll give windv a try. I was looking for an editing program that would do everything--capture, edit, burn. Right now I'm only interested in capturing and burning, but I know I'll eventually want to get into editing and making cool home movies. I heard Sony Vegas was a great program and could grow as the user grows.

Collapse -
Once you get capture done, you can use it in Vegas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: OK

Just like any task, sometimes you have to break it down into steps...

Bob

Collapse -
WinDV
by bobtbentley / April 12, 2006 4:35 AM PDT

Thanks--used WinDV and captured 2 hours of video with no problem. I'm in the process of burning a dvd. This is taking FOREVER. Does the time to burn a dvd depend on the speed of the dvd burner or does the burning software have anything to do with it? I'm not doing any editing or creating menus, just burning what I captured.

Collapse -
It's the conversion time on most machines.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: WinDV

The capture is in your choice of compression. I've learned to use no or very light compression during capture (others may offer more about this) and to compress 2 hours of video on my work machine takes about 2 hours including burning the DVD. The work machine is a desktop Athlon 64, 2.0 GHz with 1G RAM.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.