Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

An XP PITA problem

that I seem to encounter frequently enough that it makes me crazy since I can't figure out why it happens in the first place.

I can be using a program, such as Media Player to listen to a song, one minute and twenty minutes later attempt to use the same program just to have nothing happen when I click the icon to start it up. CTL-ALT-DEL shows that the program hasn't even started up, let alone show that it's not responding. The icon just goes dead for some reason and there is no rhyme or reason for it.

I still get the right click option to Open With and no matter what I choose, either the program doesn't start up, or a program will start and then do nothing on screen. Sometimes a reboot will bring things back...other times I'm forced to reinstall the same program in order to set things right again.

This has only happened with XP (I have Pro and am current with all updates for it), and it happens right out of the blue. Anybody with any clues about what would cause this? I've checked the CPU resources and that's not an issue, but nearly always it's a video or sound program that gets thrown out of whack and I have all current/latest drivers installed. They work one minute and quit the next with no errors coming up on the screen to even give me a hint about what may be wrong.

This morning I was listening to a song to test it before burning, and Media Player is the default program for all media, including movies. It was working fine. I went to listen to another song twenty minutes later and Media Player won't start up after clicking the file. I tried a movie and the same thing....nada. Tried using PowerVCR to view the movie instead, and the first title screen comes up in the preview as a still picture but no movement for the movie. Nothing locks up and the window can close easily and CTRL-ALT-DEL indicates the program is running.

Getting frustrated knowing I either have to reboot or reinstall AGAIN.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: An XP PITA problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: An XP PITA problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: An XP PITA problem

In reply to: An XP PITA problem

video/sound drivers up to date? if you did allready im out of ideas

Collapse -
Toni, I've had many problems with WMP. What I did was...

...install Winamp 5.04....works great...every time.

Collapse -
Re: Toni, I've had many problems with WMP. What I did was...

In reply to: Toni, I've had many problems with WMP. What I did was...

Been trying to remember the name of that player..Senior Moments keep getting in the way lol .. Used it 4 yrs ago but lost when updated to XP. Its a great one! Thanks.

Collapse -

What does Event Viewer offer?
Checked for bugs and vermin lately?

Collapse -
I constantly forget about Event Viewer

In reply to: Re: An XP PITA problem

thank you for the timely reminder. Going to check with that now. Especially since it's not just a Media Player issue.

I've scanned both through my virus program and on-line for pests and am clean of spyware, viruses, and anything else that might be causing this. Just would like to pinpoint it finally.

TONI

Collapse -

Just sharing that Outlook 2000 has a similar bug that was never resolved. If you close OL2000 while its checking email, there's a chance it won't visably launch. You get to endtask it and then it runs. No cure has been found and someday I'll change email clients at the office.

For WMP, try these:

1. Type WMP MINI FAQ into google.com See if that FAQ has any clues.

2. Look in the event viewer for clues.

In closing, with all the addon CODECs that can be on a machine, WMP can become unstable. The WMP MINI FAQ can help in detailing how to remove and install CODECs.

Bob

Collapse -
Event log indicates nothing other

In reply to: Re: An XP PITA problem

than an Event 36 for W32time which occurred sometime around midnight last night. I've got the clock synchonized, but that didn't effect the MP issue.

I checked in Device Mgr and although I actually have sounds occurring on the computer, the Vortex WDM driver is showing as not installed and it fails to reinstall. I'll have to mess with this to find out what happened that caused it to be screwed with in the first place.

Assuming that's the problem with Media Player at this point, but will let you know what I find. I went to the Windows Update Center just now and it located the driver immediately however, it also failed to install, and clicking the properties for the sound icon gives an error message that there is no mixer...even while giving me the error window sound in the background.

It just stymies the hell out of me to have XP toss this stuff around for no reason........

TONI

Collapse -
Aureal Vortex?

In reply to: Event log indicates nothing other

Are you revealing you have an Aureal chip based sound card? If so, I have some bad news. When Aureal folded years ago, they took with them the documents needed to create drivers. At the shop/office, we just have to pull any Aureal sound card and replace them.

Since Aureal is no more and they took their drivers and documents with them, I feel no guilt in replacing these cards.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Aureal Vortex?

In reply to: Aureal Vortex?

I originally had my Santa Cruz sound card installed and had no problems with it ever. Can't remember what made me swap it out for the older Montego II card, but installed that instead about a month ago, and everything was working fine until this morning when Media Player has refused to open, and Device Mgr is showing the WMD driver not loaded for the card.

I've checked at the TurtleBeach site and there are no XP drivers for the Montego II (I used the older W98 drivers that I already had downloaded quite a while ago and which had been working til now or possibly XP loaded its own drivers for the card on bootup when I installed the card initially...can't remember now).

I think what I'll do after a reboot to see if things get set back right, and if they are still out of whack, will shut down and put the Santa Cruz back in. I have XP drivers for that one and it's worked fine for nearly a year and it's been used for sound capture for all of my vcr copying, etc. with no problems. Wish I could remember why I pulled it though.....senior moment happening here.

If neither of them work right, then I'll hunt down a new sound card. Any recommendations? Need something good for movie copying, editing, etc. without breaking my budget too badly as I don't want to mortgage the farm, please.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: hi Toni, tried here?

In reply to: Re: Aureal Vortex?

Collapse -
Re: Aureal Vortex?

In reply to: Re: Aureal Vortex?

Creative sound Blaster 16 Bit 5.1 is a great buy at about $40.00 I have had these sound cards since 1996 can't beat them... I have the 24Bit Audigy ZS From Creative and Love it...Though it Cost $100.00

Collapse -
Re: An XP PITA problem...Update

After rebooting the computer, I still had no media player working....BUT during the shutdown, an EndTask window came up titled:

MEDIA EVENT SINK WINDOW

I have no idea what that is (will do a google search after posting this) but after exiting from it, I got an error window that flashed quickly about a .dll file (couldn't read it fast enough) with another window behind it with the title: YOU SHOULD NOT SEE THIS or something to that effect and it immediately went away so I couldn't click it fast enough to see the rest of the window.

Once I rebooted to the desktop, I checked in Device Mgr and the Vortex WDM was still showing a yellow mark. I clicked Update Driver, browsed to the folder with the files and was told the update couldn't happen because Access Denied. I have full Admin status for everything so this made no sense to me; however, instead of booting to safemode to get the hidden Administrator for log in and attempting it there, I just uninstalled the WDM error item from Device Mgr and rebooted.

Windows found new hardware and installed it just fine (checked in Device Mgr and no yellow mark on it now) and I played music and a movie as a test with Media Player and I'm back in business. What a PITA.

I ran into this with EZCD 6 Platinum last week, too. I was burning a movie cd with the DVD burner program and about twenty minutes later went to burn the next one from the same program and was told it wasn't installed although the rest of EZCD 6 worked perfectly when I opened each program as a Test. I had to reinstall the DVD program from the cd for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

XP is the only version of Windows that I've had this problem with. It just loses the drivers or the program completely right out of the blue even though they worked ten minutes ago and I haven't done anything different to the system in between. No clues, no warnings, no nada..........

I'm hoping that some part of SP2 will stop this from happening...........or that the next version will be more predictable. I still haven't found any version windows that I really like better than W98SE to be honest and have that on my backup computer in the other room. XP has great stuff included with it that I miss having with 98SE, but sometimes, I just want to punch or kick the computer.....thanks to the warning one of the members here, I've restrained myself.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: An XP PITA problem...Update...ummmm

In reply to: Re: An XP PITA problem...Update

MEDIA EVENT SINK WINDOW

This appears to have something to do with Media Player and the internet. As I recall now, everything stopped working when I was in the Speakeasy Forum and clicked a link one of the Moderators there linked to for a small MPEG file he was sharing for us to look at. Once I clicked the link, Media Player came up on screen, and I remembered immediately that I didn't have Media Player configured to be used for the internet at all so it wouldn't be able to 'stream' it in. I thought the link would be a download type file and I could play it later.

I stopped Media Player and didn't think anything more about it, but immediately afterward it stopped working completely, although I still had sound for everything else. I couldn't listen to any normal Media Player type files though.

Evidently, even though CTRL=ALT-DEL didn't show Media Player is still in the list as running or not responding, it actually was still attempting to do something about retrieving that file from the net in the background.

Curiouser and curiouser........

TONI

Collapse -
WAG.

In reply to: Re: An XP PITA problem...Update

After rebooting the computer, I still had no media player working....BUT during the shutdown, an EndTask window came up titled:

MEDIA EVENT SINK WINDOW

I have no idea what that is (will do a google search after posting this) but after exiting from it, I got an error window that flashed quickly about a .dll file (couldn't read it fast enough) with another window behind it with the title: YOU SHOULD NOT SEE THIS or something to that effect and it immediately went away so I couldn't click it fast enough to see the rest of the window.

Any change, whether it be to a simple item or a folder, can cause an event to be raised resulting in some custom code (called an event sink and executed usually by a .dll file either synchronously or asynchronously relative to the change being made to the item) being executed.

I really, really, believe this symptom should not be a displayed visual window and most likely an XP bug.

Please read through this "thread" simply as a reminder concerning services used and #3 particurally.
Collapse -
Re: WAG.

In reply to: WAG.

In this case, if you read my addendum of UMMMM, it appears that it started Media Player when I clicked that link to the MPEG file thinking it would download for viewing later when instead it was attempting to stream the video. Because I have Media Player set to never connect to the net, the player just opened up with the 'connecting' message across the bottom and I realized it wasn't going to get the file and I closed Media Player.

Instead of disconnecting, it appears that the program actually kept running even though CTRL-ALT-DEL didn't show it as such, and I didn't think to look at the Services tab or it may have showed up there instead and I could have closed it down completely.

After that, Media Player wouldn't work for any music or movie files until I finally shut down the computer this morning (I was downloading a large file yesterday and didn't want to stop it so I lived with the issue for a while) and got the End Task window to pop up for the EVENT SINK WINDOW.

I believe that you are right in that once I shut that particular window to complete the shutdown process in order to reboot, the next window that came up was a double window with the .dll error window on top of one that had the title "you should not be able to see this".

Surprisingly, somebody else reminded me of the Eventlog but when I looked at that for Applications and System, there was NOTHING there indicating what may have happened except a W32Time error and the time for it wasn't corresponding to anything current that would have told me anything. And going to the EventID site I normally use only indicated that my system clock wasn't synchronized. When I checked the time on my website clock program, it was only off by a second and got adjusted, but that didn't solve the problem either.

Still kind of clueless about what happens with XP though where programs just uninstall out of the blue or hardware drivers disappear from one minute to the next.

TONI

Collapse -
Aureal Vortex drivers.

In reply to: Re: WAG.

Were never beat up or updated for XP. You may be uncovering some latent bug. Any sound card that notes a XP driver would be on my hit list to try.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Aureal Vortex drivers....jonah's link

In reply to: Aureal Vortex drivers.

provided me with these drivers from Jan 2004; however, it notes in the center of these install instructions that XP provides the WDM drivers. I didn't install the file I downloaded. I only uninstalled the Vortex WDM line in Device Manager and rebooted. XP 'found new hardware' and installed it back correctly at the desktop, and everything went back to working again without my having to do any of these steps.

>>>>Aureal WDM Install Procedure
Win XP/2k3 current

This Windows XP/2k3 build comes with an installed Aureal vortex WDM driver. For proper operation, you need to uninstall the existing WDM driver from the O/S and install the update.

THESE ARE BETA DRIVERS, AND ARE TO BE USED AT YOUR OWN RISK! We can?t assist you with either installing or uninstalling these, so please be careful! All installation is at your own risk, no technical support is offered by Aureal for Win2K WDM drivers.

Because these drivers aren?t digitally signed, you will have to work through these steps to properly install the drivers.
Uninstall:

Go to the Settings->Control panel->system.
Go to the system->Device manager. Uninstall the Aureal vortex PCI adapter.
From the c:\windows\inf directory, delete the following files.
?wdma_aur.inf?
?wdma_aur.pnf?,
'Adm_mult.inf'
'Adm_mult.pnf'
'Adm_port.inf' ,
'Adm_port.pnf'.

Go to the c:\windows\driver cache\i386. Rename the 'driver.cab' file to 'driver.old' (so that your Adm8830.sys file doesn't keep getting installed by the OS)

From the Tools, then Folder options select View, check 'show all hidden folders'. Uncheck the ?Hide File Extensions for Known File Types? and uncheck the ?Hide Protected Operating System Files?.
Then 'dllcache' folder appears under C:\windows\system32.
From the ?dllcache? delete the 'Adm8830.sys' 'Admjoy.sys' files.
Now go to the c:\windows\system32\drivers. Delete the respective 'Adm8830.sys' 'Admjoy.sys' files.
Reboot.

Install:

At the restart System prompts for Multifunction adapter. Install starts.
In the middle of the install, the install asks for the following files. 'ksuser.dll', ks*.dll, 'portcls.sys' and '*.drv'. and finally 'aurealgm.arl'. (Everything is on your system except the aurealgm.arl file.) Browse to the following locations to install the above files:
Ksuser.dll -> c:\windows\system32
ks*.dll -> c:\windows\system32\drivers
*.drv -> c:\windows\system32
portcls.sys->c:\windows\system32\drivers
Aurealgm.arl->?Browse to the driver location?.
For the rest of the install browse to the driver location and the install is complete.
Rename the ?driver.old? (or whatever you named it) back to ?driver.cab?.>>>>>

Collapse -
Re: Aureal Vortex drivers....jonah's link

In reply to: Re: Aureal Vortex drivers....jonah's link

Yes, and a fine example of the driver hell that Aureal tossed Aureal owners into. These drivers are IMO bandaided to get most things working in Win2K and XP, but as DirectX and WMP move on, a driver may fail in very odd ways.

THe only test I do when I run into your situation is to move a card with current drivers into the machine an see if the issue vanishes.

In your case, you have the known Aureal issue, but all I can do is point at it and write that its the likely cause given what I'm reading.

Bob

Collapse -
You may very well be right

In reply to: Re: Aureal Vortex drivers....jonah's link

inasmuch as it seems that the programs that just quit working out of the blue are all programs that require the sound card to operate/function correctly.

I'm definitely looking around for a new sound card...anything good out there besides Creative? I don't play any on-line games other than bingo once in a while, but I do alot of music and movie program stuff so I would need something pretty decent I would think.

TONI

TONI

Collapse -
Re: You may very well be right

In reply to: You may very well be right

As an experiment I am currently using the onboard sound of a new motherboard I installed due to the premature demise of the old one because of the bad capacitor issue. That's another story. But since it was a new spiffy board I wanted to see how good/bad the onboard sound was. So far, so good. If I need to fix a sound card at the office, we just toss in any of the non-Aureal units we see at http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=SND Again, be sure the OS in question is noted.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm a duh

In reply to: Re: You may very well be right

I just checked my motherboard manual and had completely forgotten that I have on-board sound (Realtek) that would only need to be re-enabled in the bios and hooked up.

Thanks for ringing that bell, Robert. I'll give that one a whirl and if it works out (I can go to Gigabyte website and get newer drivers than what's on the cd), then I'll dump the Montego II back into my sound card bin.

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.