Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

An OVERLOAD of antispywear/antivirus programs

by jaxsdad / May 27, 2008 2:40 PM PDT

I have used PC's for about 7 years, but anitvirus and antiapywear programs still confuse me. I have Norton 360, had Ad-Aware, have Spy Sweeper ( which is asking to update to antivirus software for $10) and a free version of AVG.
This is clearly overkill of some form, but I would appreciate some suggestions on how to get my hands around this mess. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: An OVERLOAD of antispywear/antivirus programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: An OVERLOAD of antispywear/antivirus programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You ONLY should have ONE Anti Virus at start up
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 27, 2008 3:04 PM PDT

otherwise you "could get into trouble". You could have a second AV program on your computer but NOT running, you could use it as an "on demand" scanner.

As Anti Virus programs are NOT good in finding malware\spyware - you need an anti spyware program. NOT ALL anti spyware programs find "everything".

There are GOOD FREE Anti Spyware programs.

Then there are "Preventative Scurity Programs" - have a look here:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=238606&messageID=2434528#2434528

Collapse -
Too many antivirus programs.. BUT NEW PROBLEM
by jaxsdad / May 28, 2008 1:19 PM PDT

I will try to reduce my system to one antivirus program...HOWEVER, with everything I have, I am now getting a message that keeps popping up almost everytime I hit enter or select an icon.
It pops up as a rectangular box in the middle of the screen and says: "SYSTEM ERROR! Your System is infected with dangerous virus. Note: Stongly recommend antispywear to clean you system and avoid total crash of your system. Click OK to download the antispywear."
I am assuming this message is itself a virus. I have to hit cancel or "X" to get rid of the screen. Else, I can't do anything. Then it pops up again. Has anyone seen this? thanks.

Collapse -
Next Step, Smitfraudfix...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 28, 2008 2:07 PM PDT

First, Download Smitfraudfix.exe to your desktop from the link below.

http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

Once that's done, download the free tool below, install it, then update it. Once that's done, restart the computer into Safe Mode..

SuperAntispyware Removal Tool

Once in Safe Mode, run Smitfraudfixe.exe, select Option #2. Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish. You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?" answer Yes by typing Y and hit Enter. The tool will also check if wininet.dll is infected. If a clean version is found, you will be prompted to replace wininet.dll. Answer Yes to the question "Replace infected file ?" by typing Y and hit Enter.

A reboot may be needed to finish the cleaning process, if you computer does not restart automatically please do it yourself manuall

After restarting the computer into "normal" Windows, immediately restart into Safe Mode again and run a full system Scan using the SuperAntispyware removal tool.. Delete all items it finds.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Smithfraudfix
by jaxsdad / May 30, 2008 3:46 PM PDT

Grif,
I went thru the installs, restarted windows XP in safe mode, but when I go to the "run" menu and type in smithfraudfixe.exe, Windows says it can't find it. Am I doing it right? THanks a lot. Clay

Collapse -
SmitfraudFix
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 30, 2008 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Smithfraudfix

1. Download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri) to your Desktop (Win2k/WinXP only!).
http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.zip
Extract all the files to your Destop. A folder named SmitfraudFix will be created on your Desktop.

How to extract (decompress) zipped or compressed files

Collapse -
SmithfraudFix
by jaxsdad / May 30, 2008 4:39 PM PDT
In reply to: SmitfraudFix

Marianna,

Thanks so much for the info. I selected Y to the registry cleaning, but did not get msg to replace wininet.
WHEN I rebooted and WIndows came up, I kept getting messages from SpyBot (which I have on my system) about registry changes and to accept or deny them. SuperAntiSPyware also brought up msg about registry changes. THEN Norton360 said that teatimer.exe wanted to change homepage settings...yes or no. I decided to ck with you on this. I assume these message are because of the registry cleaning. I also think I should get rid of SpyBot. thanks Clay

Collapse -
SmitfraudFix
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 30, 2008 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: SmithfraudFix

Clay,

Disable teatimer, otherwise it will interfere with the fix.

Run SmitfraudFix again. IF your wininet is NOT infected, it doesn't have to replace it.

Also update SuperAntiSpyware and run it in safemode AFTER you ran SmitfraudFix.

Collapse -
After SmitfraudFix
by Tel Pref / July 4, 2008 7:29 PM PDT
In reply to: SmitfraudFix

I followed the very helpful advice in this discussion (thanks, Marianna, Grif) after I put a rogue program in my computer which took over the desktop and screen saver and reduced the display options so that I couldn?t make changes.

I had to go through the SmitfraudFix procedure several times before I managed to eradicate the parasite and in the repetition of this my computer has developed an additional problem where by the screen resolution reduces whenever I open many program functions, eg. office applications, acrobat, word pad, etc - but not with note pad.

What's Happening?

I?m running Windows xp on service pack 2, and would be grateful for any advice on how to get back to normal.

Collapse -
Norton 360 and SpySweeper
by Michael_York / June 4, 2008 4:47 AM PDT

Hi jaxsdad,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

I wanted to clarify for you that Norton 360 is a comprehensive internet security application and contains antivirus, antispyware, anti-malware and other security features.

As others have explained to you, having two antivirus and internet security applications can cause conflicts, and most likely contributed to the problems you are experiencing.

Also, I wanted to let you know that SpySweeper is completely incompatible with Norton 360 and should be removed from your system.

With regard to the SpyBot application, both the Tea Timer and SD helper options in need to be disabled permanently, so that they do interfere with Norton 360.

Please check the settings in Norton 360 and make sure that the Auto-Protect option is enabled , so that Norton 360 continually checks for infections in the background.

Please also you run LiveUpdate from within Norton 360 to ensure that you have the latest program and definition files applied to your installation. After you run LiveUpdate, complete a "Comprehensive Scan" on your computer so that any infections present will be found.

Thank you,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

Collapse -
THANKS
by jaxsdad / June 4, 2008 1:29 PM PDT

MIke,
Thanks for the great info...I will go thru your info carefully. I don't know if it is just me, but the whole anitvirus/anti spywear area is confusing. I am giong to stick to Norton - as I believe the guy who sold me my PC, told me several years ago. thanks for all the help from everyone. CLay.

Collapse -
You are very welcome !
by Michael_York / June 5, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: THANKS

Hi jaxsdad,

I'm glad to hear that I was able to help clarify things for you. Please reply back to this thread if you need any additional technical information regarding Norton products.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

Collapse -
Norton 360
by generic40 / June 22, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

Hi Mike,

I have used Norton AV programs for years. But when i recently installed 360 on my 'new' computer, my system randomly experiences uncontrollable memory loss and slows to a crawl. Even when i set all tasks to manual, 360 contiunes to run background scans using all of my memory. Also, when using a program like photoshop and then exiting, 360 again will continue to scan it using valuable resources. It gets so bad that i have to uninstall and reinstall 360 to stop the madness. I like Norton products, but can you offer some advice before i pull all of my hair out.

Thanks
John

Collapse -
Re: Norton 360
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton 360

NOT Michael York as you requested.. BUT:

John..

Michael York posts at various forum's, when/if he see's a Symantec problem. He may, or may not, see your post. Since he posted in this thread before, perhaps he's tracking it. Or not. Confused In the meantime, you might want to look through some prior posts of his and see if any of them help. Try the search option at the top of the page.

This thread doesn't deal specifically with your situation, but I believe it "touches" on it. The member in that thread indicated he's using Vista. You neglected to add which system you're using. See this post where he suggests running an online virus check, which is something to consider.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=274099&messageID=2651160#2651160

He posted this elsewhere, when someone complained of their computer running 'at a snail's pace', after installing Norton 360:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080504162155AAvSTom

If you want to read additional input from him, have a look here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=norton+360+resource+hog+%22Michael+York%22

From Symantec: "Computer runs slower after installing Norton 360"

John, please don't discount what some of the members and moderators might add. It might help. And lastly. Before you decide to pull all your hair out, I would either switch to something else... or buy a very good hat!!

Carol

Collapse -
Norton 360
by generic40 / June 22, 2008 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Norton 360

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your information as I have reviewed the threads and in particular the link "Computer runs slower after installing Norton 360". This may be the problem since I have avoided completing a full system scan.

If all fails, I think another software would be my next choice vs. wearing a hat!!

John

Collapse -
You're welcome, John..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton 360

It's worth trying to fix. But as you said, "if all else fails". I think we agree ... hair is better than a hat! Grin

Good luck!

Collapse -
Goodbye Norton > Hello McAFee
by generic40 / June 22, 2008 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome, John..

Hi Carol.

Well I have followed all of the tech advice offered by Norton in your post and some other suggestions that I found online and got it working for about 2 hours... But then that darn background scan appeared which I could not turn off so I was back at turtle speed which prompted me to remove Norton and install McAfee even though I had 200 days left on my subscription. The good news is that everything is running smooth. In fact faster than ever!! Best of all, it turned out that my cable provider offered the full package of McAfee to all of its subscribers for free.

Thanks again for your help.

John

Collapse -
Re: Goodbye > Hello
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 23, 2008 2:53 AM PDT

Good news, John!

It certainly sounds as if you gave it a try! If in time, you find McAfee to be a problem, there are quite a few good one's which are also free. (Check the sticky at the top of the forum, if it's ever needed) Did you use The Norton Removal Tool to get rid of all vestiges of 360? Either way, it's a moot point by now, but the link is there if you ever need it.

Safe surfing!
Carol

Collapse -
(NT) lol @ Carol! :-) Hats for sale.
by Fish / June 22, 2008 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Norton 360
Collapse -
(NT) Not "technical" enough?? LOL
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 23, 2008 3:02 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.