Speakeasy forum

General discussion

An Optimistic view on Energy

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fpcomment/archive/2008/07/12/abundant-energy-will-power-future-growth.aspx

We have been told for years that the oil supply is dwindling, but new technologies allow far better exploration today. Vast amounts of the planet have not even yet been explored!!!

1.1 trillion barrels of oil recoverable from the oil shale !!!!
I don?t understand the ?Don?t drill now, Don?t drill ever? crowd. Why isn?t this considered a financial asset to America???? Even if the ?Alternative Energy Fairy? waves his or her magic wand and America can instantly start driving electric cars, second and third world countries will continue to expand their usage of petroleum. The decision to develop these assets is not an environmental one. It?s all ready been proven that oil can be extracted with exceptionally minimal impact on the environment
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: An Optimistic view on Energy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: An Optimistic view on Energy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or CO2 to fuel?

In reply to: An Optimistic view on Energy

There's also another way from CO2 from "air" to liquid fuel. Downside? Currently 4.50 a gallon to make.
Bob

Collapse -
give it a month or two

In reply to: Or CO2 to fuel?

give it a month or two, and those $'s will start looking attractive to me lol

Collapse -
and all you need is heat and water

heat will probably be from a nuclear plant, but water?? last time i read it up, the ratio was 4 to 1

that is a lot of water

Collapse -
This is why I'm not worried.

There are so many possibilities and so many solutions being looked at and some of them are bound to work, either short term or long term. Panic is not advised. All we need is for the Chicken Littles and the politicians to be swept aside and ignored.

Collapse -
YES !!!!

In reply to: This is why I'm not worried.

1.1 TRILLION barrels !!!!!!!!!

Scads of usable resources that are PROVEN to work !!!!

Collapse -
Also.....

As we colonize space we will learn to mine vast energy resources such as Methane (which BTW, is vastly available right here at home if we could only get our heads out of dark places Wink ) as well as nuclear resources.

Collapse -
Clean-up

Have you ever been to a drilling site. There is always a mess. Better than days past but never-the-less a mess at times. Getting to oil is still hard work and techniques don't change that much. The real worry is a mistake takes place and it can happen, that's the real worry. All aspects of oil has a possible negative effect when mistakes happen. Everything from the drilling site, pipeline, shipping lanes and production has had troubles and they don't go away unless extreme attention to detail and "money is spend" to keep it that way. The Valdez spill is still impacting the area it happened at. Oil wells areas still show the effects of past history. I still see old retaining storage tanks on Ohio&Penn. farms from the 40-50's maybe 60's that no longer produce but remain, abandoned. -----Willy

Collapse -
The Valdez spill is NOT still impacting the environment.

In reply to: Clean-up

Animal and plant life has recovered quite well. That's been well documented.

I've seen a lot of well sites over the years. I've never seen a site that was not very neat. I have never seen a lot of junk laying around. You need to get your facts straight. People cannot, and do not, live their lives trying to avoid very small risks. Do you drive your car in a way that avoids the impact of a meteor strike? How about bobbing and weaving while you walk to avoid a lightening strike? Those things are far more likely to occur than a serious oil spill.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.