Speakeasy forum

General discussion

An interesting poll

by TONI H / February 24, 2014 9:37 PM PST

Today a new poll showed the following information:

Confidence levels.....

2003 - Military 96% , President 76%, Congress 71%

Now - Military 93%, President 52%, Congress 39%

I find it somewhat telling when you consider that we had two wars going on in 2003, the President was Bush, and the Congress was held by Republicans in both Houses.

Since 2006 when Democrats took over both Houses, the President changed to a Democrat, and a Dem controlled Senate that doesn't present bills that pass with a bi-partisan vote for a vote in that floor, two of those stats have dropped drastically.

Democrats and liberals can use the media to bombard the voters with the same 'Republicans are to blame for the do-nothing Congress' all they want, but the numbers tell a different story as to who is to blame. The Republicans in the House since 2010 and until recently when Reid pulled the 'nuclear option' to prevent Republicans from fillibustering have actually done what they were elected to do.....prevent the Democrats from pushing job killing agendas and to try to curb the out-of-control spending that Dems are so in love with.

Even the newest BO 'budget' that Hagel spouted yesterday to cut our military back to pre-WWII levels isn't a Dem way of curbing the spending....it's to have all that extra money to spend on other agendas of theirs because they have always been against a strong military. This budget will not fly with the House. Even Dems there and in the Senate who are up for re-election will see that it can't happen. You can't prop up our economy on the backs of the military and their families.

November 2014 can't come fast enough.....and this president can't leave the Oval Office quick enough. He should have never been there in the first place, but sometimes it takes real personal hardship for people to finally wake up, and this president has punished the country and its people long enough. They took two chances on a lying incompetent community organizing nobody, and it has failed miserably.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: An interesting poll
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: An interesting poll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
These are the problems of "empire"
by Willy / February 24, 2014 10:07 PM PST
In reply to: An interesting poll

We have become Romans. Is that what we're suppose to be? Don't blame a political party, blame EVERYONE in the Washington circle. They all have lost contact with the populace, other than during re-election. Everything, you have posted about was the same thing said after, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and all the little tune-up wars before, during or after. Now, we're on a "global war of terror" did you suspect it would be over in a few yrs.? After any country that has empire, what it lead to, the consequences of being so. I will admit, our empire came about by default but then we believe we were chosen to do so. We have enter into another 100yrs. war, ask the American Indians how they felt about that. Read history we doomed to repeat it as it appears we're doing so now. -----Willy Shocked I love red meat!

Collapse -
that's very insightful
by James Denison / February 25, 2014 9:04 AM PST

It's true when all the politicians seem on the take to someone or some special interest, the people look more to the military to respect.

Collapse -
(NT) Got a link to that poll?
by JP Bill / February 24, 2014 11:43 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks but...I get page not found
by JP Bill / February 25, 2014 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Here

when I click here to read the poll results

However.....

Confidence in the institution of the presidency

NOT the President. Obama

When they use terms such as Military, Presidency and Congress they are referring to the position/institution.

Why wouldn't people have confidence in the military? What does the military ever do that affects Americans lives adversely? They do what they are told and go where they are pushed.

Congress comes in last no matter how you look at it. The poll, released Tuesday, finds 39 percent of voters have at least some confidence in the lawmaking body. Not only is that lower than every other institution tested, but it's also down from 71 percent in 2003 (the last time the question was asked by Fox News) and a record-high 76 percent in 2002

The country was on a "war footing", the last thing you want to do shortly after getting involved in a war is start another war amongst yourselves. Now is a better time to argue. Every man/woman for themselves....the knives are out.

Collapse -
If you want to use symantics
by TONI H / February 25, 2014 4:42 AM PST

regarding the position rather than the person, you STILL are left with WHO was IN that position at the time of both polls.........BANG.........

Collapse -
RE; regarding the position rather than the person,
by JP Bill / February 25, 2014 5:44 AM PST

at the time of both polls

You mean 2002 & 2003?

That's what I was talking about when I mentioned

The country was on a "war footing",

The "position" was AT WAR Just starting...gearing up (2002...2003)

.BANG.?

you're all in this together...all for one...one for all?

Everyone get behind the President...the line forms here.

Now you don't have anyone else to shoot at...you start shooting each other.

KABOOM!!!!

Collapse -
IF any of your
by TONI H / February 25, 2014 6:18 AM PST

post was coherent, I would actually respond. You're shooting with an empty weapon....gray matter.

Collapse -
RE: 2006 when Democrats took over both Houses
by JP Bill / February 24, 2014 11:54 PM PST

It makes me wonder what the Republicans did wrong....oh wait here it is

Reasons for the Democratic party takeover include the decline of the public image of George W. Bush, the dissatisfaction of the handling of both Hurricane Katrina and the War in Iraq, Bush's legislative defeat regarding Social Security Reform, and the culture of corruption, which were the series of scandals in 2006 involving Republican politicians.

The Democratic Party won a majority of the state governorships[6] and the U.S. House and Senate seats each for the first time since 1994, an election-year commonly known as the "Republican Revolution." For the first time since the creation of the Republican party in 1860, no Republican captured any House, Senate, or Gubernatorial seat previously held by a Democrat.[7]

OR the short answer/reason is....not enough votes.

but sometimes it takes real personal hardship for people to finally wake up,

That's how Obama/Democrats got elected....

Collapse -
And 2010
by TONI H / February 25, 2014 2:15 AM PST

was another 'awakening' moment enough for the Reps to take back the House. I have to suspect that 2012 would have turned out differently if the WH hadn't directed the IRS to target Conservative Groups and hold their exempt status hostage so they weren't able to participate as effectively as they were able to in 2010. Now you have Shumer calling for the IRS to do even MORE this time to stop Conservatives..........a real abuse of power all over again. As you well know, if a Republican administration had done this, heads would be rolling via the Democrats uproar....and you would be leading that pack of wolves. Nixon tried to do something similar and the IRS, which is supposed to be non -partisan, turned him down flat, and the Dems began impeachment proceedings against him over it. (Many mistakenly believe he was impeached over Watergate, when in fact it was about not only the coverup of it since they could never prove he ordered it but also because of his abuse of the IRS). Nixon deserved to be thrown out. THIS President DID do it, and nothing but chirps from the left, and since nothing has been done about it, Shumer feels he's been given 'permission' to carry it further.

Collapse -
The IRS was doing this long before 2010
by Diana Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: And 2010

First the IRS changed the law from no political action to less political action and then targeted both conservative and liberal causes. In fact, no conservative causes were turned down but a couple of liberal one were.

Diana

Collapse -
You have that completely backwards
by TONI H / February 25, 2014 4:03 AM PST

NONE of the 300+ Conservative groups got their status approved prior to the election, whereas ALL of the 10- Liberal groups were approved within 30 days. Most of the Conservative groups are STILL waiting after three+ years already.......and NONE have been contacted by the FBI during their 'investigation' even though the report put out says that 'no one will be prosecuted or charged'. How can you close an investigation without even TALKING to the victims? Amazing.

If you have links to your statement proving liberals were turned down and conservatives were approved, please bring it to the table for discussion.

Collapse -
RE: How can you close an investigation
by JP Bill / February 25, 2014 4:31 AM PST
How can you close an investigation without even TALKING to the victims?

Do you want to be investigated?
Collapse -
You ability
by TONI H / February 25, 2014 4:43 AM PST

to connect your thought processes diminishes with every post you make.

Collapse -
Then it's time for you to stop responding
by JP Bill / February 25, 2014 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: You ability

But then you wouldn't have a platform for your rants.

Collapse -
Don't YOU mean
by JP Bill / February 25, 2014 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: You ability

MY (as in Toni) ability to connect your (JP Bill) thought processes diminishes with every post you(JP Bill) make.

MY posts are confusing?

Collapse -
I said exactly what I meant
by TONI H / February 25, 2014 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Don't YOU mean

You evidently attempt to string sentences or thoughts together as you post, but they never seem to connect.

Collapse -
RE: but they never seem to connect.
by JP Bill / February 25, 2014 11:51 AM PST

That's because you have trouble stringing 2 thoughts together, let alone 3, or perhaps you forget the points you bring up.

How can you close an investigation without even TALKING to the victims?

HOW?

By reviewing the evidence that made someone or something the target of an investigation without talking to them. Lots of murders are solved without talking to the victim, NO, ALL of them are.

There's a group out there

That have been complaining about "being investigated"

During these "investigations" a certain tax ruling was being held up.

People were complaining that no one (so called "victims") was contacted regarding this "investigation"

Now the "investigations" are called off.

People are STILL complaining that they weren't contacted regarding this "investigation" .

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? They want someone to talk to them?...I'll talk to them.

THEY are not looking at YOU any longer....ENJOY!!!!

I said exactly what I meant

You ability to connect your thought processes diminishes with every post you make.

I have no problem connecting MY thoughts...YOU have a problem connecting MY thoughts

Collapse -
Why would the FBI be involved in an IRS matter?
by Diana Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 4:43 AM PST

That isn't what I heard when it was in the news all the time. When did it change?

Diana

Collapse -
A few links
by TONI H / February 25, 2014 5:02 AM PST
Collapse -
2003 was very close to 2001
by Diana Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 2:00 AM PST

Right now I'm surprised that Congress is that high. I would be interested in interim polls. We're talking about 11 years between these two polls. A lot has happened in that time.

Diana

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.