Speakeasy forum

General discussion

An anomaly with NT...

by Mosonnow / August 16, 2004 12:35 AM PDT

I've just discovered that if I use the "old" version, the system overrides it. I.e. if I type (NT) and then put a dot in as text, the NT is eliminated from the header, presumably because the computer now recognises that it is not truly an NT message.

I infer therefore that one must let the computer determine that it is actually an NT message and leave it to do its thing (i.e. no dots in future).

BTW This is notwithstanding the Forum Feedback thread, but that thread is concerned with deliberately tricking the system methinks rather than trying to avoid inconvenience to others.

Regards
Mo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: An anomaly with NT...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: An anomaly with NT...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not an anomaly at all
by Josh K / August 16, 2004 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: An anomaly with NT...

The forum software is working as it should. NT means "no text" and once you put a period or other character in the "message body" box, it's not a "no text" post anymore.

Collapse -
Perhaps I didn't explain this very well ...
by Mosonnow / August 16, 2004 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Not an anomaly at all

If I type

(NT) der da der da

and put a dot in the text box, this is what happens:

My "typed in" "(NT)" disappears, so that my header is only comprised of "der da der da"

Hence my suggestion that one must now rely on the computer to automatically insert the (NT) and one must not manually type (NT) followed by a dot in the text box.

In other words, leave out NT in the header and don't put anything in the text box if you want it to come up with NT on the header.

I've just posted another message in the Test Forum, so I'm sure I'm not going dotty (or NuTty). LOL

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: but if you post (NT) der da du with a period
by jonah jones / August 16, 2004 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Not an anomaly at all

as she stated, the system deletes your typed (NT)

Collapse -
And furthermore...
by Mosonnow / August 16, 2004 5:59 AM PDT

If I type (NT) de da, and no text, I would expect to see

"(NT) (NT) de da"

but I don't - the system deletes my typed NT. That is not important but says to me that I need to be aware of what the system is doing.

I make a fuss about this only to save many wasted hours for all concerned from opening posts when people simply get it wrong. And also because (as earlier posted) this is a "public information broadcast" that it is still the case that with no text (in text box) the last 5 characters of one's header are still being deleted i.e. stolen by the system to be replaced by "(NT) space" (5 chars).

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: An anomaly with NT...
by Angeline Booher / August 16, 2004 12:45 AM PDT

Mo, not using the old method (the character in the body and typing in NT) has worked fine for me. It started with the upgrade prior to the most recent one, I think.

Sure does save time! I was always forgetting to put the character in the body.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: An anomaly with NT...
by John Robie / August 16, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!