General discussion

An alternative view of the Arizona immigration law

I have to say up front that if we are going to have immigration law then IMO we should enforce them. The Feds have obviously failed at this and I do not object in principle to efforts by the individual states to address the problem.

That said, I found this news report disturbing:
Prison Economics Help Drive Ariz. Immigration Law
"They talk [about] how positive this was going to be for the community," Nichols said, "the amount of money that we would realize from each prisoner on a daily rate."

But Nichols wasn't buying. He asked them how would they possibly keep a prison full for years ? decades even ? with illegal immigrants?

"They talked like they didn't have any doubt they could fill it," Nichols said.

That's because prison companies like this one had a plan ? a new business model to lock up illegal immigrants. And the plan became Arizona's immigration law.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: An alternative view of the Arizona immigration law
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: An alternative view of the Arizona immigration law
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I've seen that claim...

I doubt that's the true motivation.

- Collapse -
I don't know either way, but ...

It makes as much sense as some of the other stuff I've seen posted recently.

- Collapse -
Bill

the law was made because the taxpayers in AZ are tired of supporting illegals. Spend an after noon in any County facility and all you hear is anything BUT English. And that was after we voted that you had to be a citizen to get and State funded help.

- Collapse -
taxpayers in AZ are?

I suppose you mean the Tax payers are tired of supporting illegals in a sense that they receive certain government aid, but all civilians whether they are citizens are not do pay sales tax.

- Collapse -
I'm sure that was how it was marketed ...

I don't mean to suggest that there is a lot of frustration among the general population about the whole illegal alien problem. However, that does not mean the popular outrage is the real motivation behind the law.

You don't think politics and businesses have ever manipulated popular opinion?

- Collapse -
Oops ... left a word out ...

I don't mean to suggest that there is NOT a lot of frustration ...

- Collapse -
that is Terry Goddards

crowd speaking!LOL

- Collapse -
Isn't he against the lawsuit now?
- Collapse -
He is a Democrat

running against Jan Brewer, Too bad for him we all remember when his Dad was governor! And a lousy job he did, LOL

- Collapse -
Since he is

AZ Attorney General you would THINK he would be against it! LOL
Is he for AZ??? Who knows!

- Collapse -
Was that a news article or an editorial?

I know, sometimes it is hard to tell the difference. At times it read like a news story, but the author's view points came through pretty clearly. Do you know whether it started out in a news section or on the editorial page?

- Collapse -
I think it was an editorial...

Kind of hard to tell from that site. They may not make too much of a distinction.

- Collapse -
mostly

it was his ads, I have heard so much crap from both sides that I don't even know where it comes from anymore!

- Collapse -
ah, the New Times

They hate everyone, LOL

CNET Forums

Forum Info