Speakeasy forum

General discussion

An actual cut/paste from a message I just received

by Steven Haninger / July 14, 2005 11:50 AM PDT
Your Earthlink billing information is invalid or expired!!! It's nessesarry to enter or update your Earthlink billing information.

Can this phishing expedition be more obvious?;)
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: An actual cut/paste from a message I just received
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: An actual cut/paste from a message I just received
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not much more.
by Kiddpeat / July 14, 2005 2:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
I like all of the ones from the bank.....
by C1ay / July 14, 2005 2:50 PM PDT

...the bank I've never had an account with to begin with. And then there's all the ones to update the PayPal account I don't have either.....

Collapse -
So, you think you know what phishing looks like?
by Paul C / July 14, 2005 8:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Lee's test is not very good
by duckman / July 14, 2005 9:54 PM PDT

I can tell right away if it is fraudulant by higlighting the HTTP address of the suspected link. Thens it's easy.

Collapse -
You, Duckman, know to check the address first.
by Paul C / July 14, 2005 11:44 PM PDT

So many others don't...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sad, but true.
by duckman / July 15, 2005 12:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
And here's one I got this AM
by MKay / July 14, 2005 10:22 PM PDT

Dear Friend,

Greetings to you and your family.I hope this message finds you hale and healthy.I am Mr.Joseph Chau of Investment Banking,Union Bank Of China.On July 6, 2004,our client Mr. Irvin ****,a businessman,made a numbered fixed deposit for 6 (six) calendar months,with a value of US$20.5m only in my branch. Upon maturity several notice was sent to him and no response came from him. Another notification was sent early February and still no response came from him.The Bank officially sent a two-man delegate to his residence in Malaysia were he resides only to find out that the business mogul and his family perished in the Tsunami disaster.

After further investigations,it was also discovered that Mr.Irvin **** did not declare any next of kin in his official papers,including the paper work of his bank deposit.So, Twenty million, Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars is still lying in my bank and no one will ever come
forward to claim it.According to the laws of my country, at the expiration of one year (1 year) the funds will revert to the ownership of Hong Kong Government if nobody applies to claim the funds.

I will like you as a foreigner to stand as the next of kin to Mr.Irvin **** to enable you receive the funds.Lets put heads together to claim and transfer these funds out of Hong Kong and use it judiciously.I have contacted an Attorney that will prepare the necessary document that will
back you up as the next of kin to Mr.Irvin ****,all that is required from you at this stage is for you to provide me with your full names and Address including your direct phone and fax numbers for my Attorney to commence his job.My Attorney will also file in for claims on your
behalf and secure the necessary approval and letter of probate in your favor for the funds to be moved to an account that will be provided by you.

Note that sharing percentage is negotiable by the two parties.Contact me on this email address (josephchau11@web-mail.com.ar) with your full names and address if you are interested and more details will be provided to you about the Project.

Joseph Chau.

Collapse -
and another
by MKay / July 14, 2005 10:46 PM PDT

Bank of the West

Dear Online Customer,
As part of our security measures,we regularly screen activity in the Banking system.We recently noticed the following issue on your Online Banking account:A recent review of your Online account determined that we need some additional information from you in order to provide you with online secure service. Case ID Number: FW-222-367-412. For your protection, we have limited access to your Online account until additional security measures can be completed.

We encourage you to log in to your account as soon as possible to help avoid this. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access to regular standing. We appreciate your understanding as we work to guarantee account safety.In accordance with Bank of the West's Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. If access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or account closure.

Login to Online Account
Please understand that this is a safety measure meant to help protect you and your account. Thank you for your attention to this problem. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Bank of the West, Member FDIC, Online Banking Customer Service

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?