Question

Amplified speakers for new Vizio TV

Besides the VIZIO VSB200 sound bar, can someone recommend an external amplified speaker system for my new 26 inch Vizio TV? I would like to use Toslink digital audio output.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Amplified speakers for new Vizio TV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Amplified speakers for new Vizio TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Logitech

I think the Z-5500's would be an excellent choice, although I'm not sure how they would hook up to the Vizio TV. Probably an optical cable? I'm not smart in this field lol..

- Collapse -
pricey!

At about $338 or more, the Logitech Z-5500 is a bit pricey for me.

- Collapse -
These are really PC speakers

Regardless of how their marketing materials indicate otherwise, I would still consider these PC speakers.

- Collapse -
bedroom system

I guess I need to explain that this is for a bedroom tv, a 26" LED Vizio. For my home theater, in the living room I have a 60" plasma TV, Onkyo receiver and a top-of-the-line Aperion 5.1 speaker system. When I want super sound, I go to my living room.

- Collapse -
Why bother?

If it's not a critical viewing or listening experience, why not just listen to the speakers built into the TV?

- Collapse -
I agree, why bother

Any set of $60 powered speakers will be a compromise. For that price you can buy JBL Duet speakers, which are better than many PC speakers, but for $170 you can buy nice Audio Engine speakers (audioengineusa.com) which technically are PC speakers and that work with a number of different cables, but not Toslink. Personally I haven't seen powered PC speakers that use Toslink. I think Toslink require an amp or receiver to modify the audio data carried by Toslink, whereas most PC speakers connect via mini-jack or RCA type connections that carry normal a normal audio signal.

- Collapse -
existing Vizio speakers

Great LED picture, but sound is very tinny. I just want to upgrade the sound at reasonable cost. The set provides Toslink audio out.

- Collapse -
Toslink

The Toslink Audio Out is to send audio from the TV to a receiver. In theory this could work on self-powered PC speakers, but I personally haven't seen small external speakers like this that have a Toslink connection. Maybe do a Google search?

- Collapse -
Recommendations for 150$ speakers
- Collapse -
Don't bother

The OP is connecting to an HDTV, not a PC.

CNET Forums