General discussion

Amount of RAM used

hi,my computer is going slow,and McAfee scan is taking forever to do a full scan,done spybot and adware scans and nothing shows up,but was told to look at my amount of RAM,as i do a lot of photographing i do have a lot of software open at the same time,i have 3.00GB of memory,well i went into task manager and performance and the physical memory is at total 3.70,cached 1011,available 976,and free 0,what do these figures mean?and do i need more RAM?thank you,karen

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Amount of RAM used
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Amount of RAM used
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Which Operating System?

You didn't say which OS, but generally 3 GB of RAM should be plenty.

You say you do photography work, but I wouldn't have thought that was RAM or Performance intensive as say, video editing, so I would not have thought RAM was an issue.

However, what I do see from your post is McAfee, Spybot, and Lavasoft's AdAware, (although you just say Adware). Sadly Spybot Search & Destroy and Lavasoft's AdAware no longer work well with today's anti-virus scanners, especially if you have Spybot's TeaTimer resident scanner and AdAware's AdWatch always running.

A good test would be to uninstall both Spybot and Lavasoft, and see if performance improves.

Mark

- Collapse -
There's a clue.

Overlapping protection such as Mcafee and that teatimer can result in slow machines. Also, as the virus numbers increase there is more to do during scans so these do take a very long time. I'm telling folk to expect a scan to take hours since both the virus numbers are up as well as the size of hard drives.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info