Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

American Immigration - Please help especially mods!

by Blackconverse / January 1, 2007 12:12 AM PST

Hello There,

I have decided i want to move to America to San Francisco,
and im currently in the UK i want to know where do i go to aplly for perm citizenship so i can become a legal resident of America. I know this is not really the place to ask, but i guess there are alot of american people who may be able to help me out

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: American Immigration - Please help especially mods!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: American Immigration - Please help especially mods!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this place...
by shawnlin / January 1, 2007 12:18 AM PST
http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/?NS_cid=1

beware, I have no idea what reputation this website has. You're probably best bet is discussing this with an immigration lawyer. There's probably a lot of basic info online regarding the process.

Best wishes,
S
Collapse -
start with USCIS
by ktreb / January 1, 2007 5:04 AM PST
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a?vgnextoid=4f719c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=4f719c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d

This is an official US government website, part of the Department of Homeland Security. You will probably have to consult an immigration attorney as well. Make sure he or she is a reputable one. On this end of the pond, immigration lawyers are sometimes sketchy and end up just stealing your money.

BTW, USCIS = US Citizenship and Immigration Services
Collapse -
(NT) thanks for that post - I couldn't remember the right organiz
by shawnlin / January 1, 2007 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: start with USCIS
Collapse -
used to be called INS
by ktreb / January 1, 2007 5:13 AM PST

but I think they changed the name after they became part of the Dept of Homeland Security.

Anyway, my first link is a bad one. The second link works.

Collapse -
I should have checked my link
by ktreb / January 1, 2007 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: start with USCIS

try this instead:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Then go to the "permanent residence" section. Before becoming a citizen you must become a permanent resident first. Then after a certain period of time, you can apply for citizenship.

Collapse -
Government PORTAL websites..
by castingRod47 / January 5, 2007 11:33 PM PST

Since you want to move to San Francisco..use your SEARCH Engine and type in San Francisco..look for the Official webite for Government..start w/the Mayor's Office..then the Governor's Office..
Check out the Dept. of Consumer Affairs..the Attorney General's Office..
..or type in United States of America..
Ports of Entry..Maryland-New York-Texas-California..maybe even New Jersey..
..Immigration and Naturalization Service..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!