HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

American College of Physicians: primary care near collapse

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 30, 2006 4:14 AM PST
U.S. Primary care about to collapse, physicians warn.

>> "Primary care is on the verge of collapse," said the organization, a professional group which certifies internists, in a statement. "Very few young physicians are going into primary care and those already in practice are under such stress that they are looking for an exit strategy."

Dropping incomes coupled with difficulties in juggling patients, soaring bills and policies from insurers that encourage rushed office visits all mean that more primary care doctors are retiring than are graduating from medical school, the ACP said in its report. <<

"Finest health care system in the world" -- yeah, right. another reason why the WHO's #72 is closer to the sad truth.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: American College of Physicians: primary care near collapse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: American College of Physicians: primary care near collapse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you Democrat Party and your Liability Lawyer allies
by Kiddpeat / January 30, 2006 4:19 AM PST

that refuse to enact reasonable liability limits.

Collapse -
Blame soaring
by TONI H / January 30, 2006 4:32 AM PST

health care insurance prices, health care fraud by many health care providers themselves, and astronomical pricing for hospital, doctors, office visits, and prescriptions.

In 1980 I had a company paid insurance policy that paid 100% of doctor and hospital bills. Got disabled and had to pay for family coverage (no longer at group rates) until my personal Medicare kicked in two years later (still no insurance for the kids though at that point), and the cost for family care insurance from Blue Cross/Blue Shield was over $400 per month, and it only covered less than 80% now.

It was not possible to pay that insurance when I was only getting $320 per month from SSecurity...and if it wasn't for the kids collecting death benefits at the same time from when their father (my first husband) died, it would have never been a reality.

BC/BS was about the only choice for providers back then....but even now, costs for coverage no matter where you shop are outrageous, especially for people still out of work. If you're single with no dependents (kids) or married but no dependents, there is NO coverage from Social Services anymore.

When health care and hospitals and doctors became a 'business' rather than actual a care service, quality dropped, prices soared, and you are treated as a number rather than a person. The speed with which you are seen and sent on your way is unreal (I'm not talking the length of time you actually sit in a waiting room as that speed takes hours even with an appointment).

Doctors' offices make appointments like they are booking airflight seats....overbook to compensate for cancellations or no-shows and try somehow to fit them all in when nobody cancels and they all show up.

One of the reasons the primary care is near collapse is because nobody can afford to see a doctor anymore....let alone pay for prescriptions they dole out. I actually see in the future certified nurses taking over primary care and shipping patients out to actual doctors who 'specialize' instead...just like midwives took over for ob/gyn services.

TONI

Collapse -
Health care insurance costs probably don't turn potential
by Kiddpeat / January 30, 2006 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Blame soaring

doctors away, or cause existing doctors to give up the field. It's the cost of malpractice insurance that's driving the system. Doctor's have to pay a small fortune for malpractice insurance. That means their prices have to be higher which is what drives up the price of health care.

A local woman doctor attended a discussion group I am in last night. She said she is looking at the possibility of joining a low cost health care group. I think that means that they don't charge their patients a lot of money. The issue that had to be overcome was coming up with sufficient funds for malpractice premiums. Without that, she could not join the group. I'm reasonably certain that hospital's are in the same boat. Many obstetricians have left Illinois, or left practice, because of the large insurance premiums.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.