Speakeasy forum

General discussion

America?s Has-Been Economy

by Asian American / April 14, 2005 5:46 PM PDT

An article I like:

March 15, 2005

America?s Has-Been Economy

By Paul Craig Roberts

A country cannot be a superpower without a high tech economy, and America?s high tech economy is eroding as I write.

The erosion began when US corporations outsourced manufacturing. Today many US companies are little more than a brand name selling goods made in Asia.

[ . . . ]

Complete article is at http://www.vdare.com/roberts/050315_economy.htm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: America?s Has-Been Economy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: America?s Has-Been Economy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The stuff that is being
by Jerry562 / April 14, 2005 6:54 PM PDT

made in China isn't being invented there. Isn't a moon landing high tech? Does anyone else claim the bragging rights.

Try to get a grip on reality, slave labor in Korea or China doesn't mean we are being passed. It would be simple to arrest innocent citizens and force them to make engines as cheap as China. The point is, should we.

No that you.

Collapse -
have you read some of the other
by Jerry562 / April 14, 2005 7:08 PM PDT

nonsense this man wrote? He is a real piece of 'work'.

I'm laughing at the titles, the articles are worse.

http://www.vdare.com/roberts/all_columns.htm

Asian American, you might be better off going back to Pat Buchanon who you couldn't defend or state if you agreed with his policies and statements. Happy

Collapse -
Paul Roberts states it's you
by Jerry562 / April 14, 2005 7:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Asian American / April 14, 2005 10:10 PM PDT

Roberts sees a lot of problems with continued mass immigration. I agree.

Collapse -
Have you posted anywhare else in CNet besides....
by Jack Ammann / April 14, 2005 8:15 PM PDT

...here in Speakeasy since you came on board here yesterday? If so, please let us know. I for one would like to read some more of your work.

Collapse -
Posting
by Asian American / April 14, 2005 8:41 PM PDT

I've only posted in this section so far.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And you bring up very interesting topics AA! Welcome!
by Sancho Panza / April 15, 2005 8:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Posting
Collapse -
Can I ask you why you would like to read more
by Sancho Panza / April 15, 2005 8:42 PM PDT

from Asian-American? Maybe if you tell him/her what you find interesting, (s)he may as well give you a link to articles or webpages where the specific topic that interest you is dealt with.

Just a suggesiton.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Sancho Panza / April 15, 2005 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

Many good links that I have added to my bookmarks. But you didn't have to post them. You could have posted them after Jack told you what he found so interesting with your posts. However I am glad that it is more than me who find your posts very interesting!

Keep posting AA!

Happy

Collapse -
Sure, go ahead and "ask". But if or when...
by Jack Ammann / April 16, 2005 12:44 AM PDT

..."AA" asks, I'll gladly tell him/her. In the meantime, since I was born and raised down here in South Texas and have a working knowledge of the Spanish/Texmex language, do you know what "Sancho" is in English??? And being part of your adopted name certainly begs the expression, "WHOA"...is that really an appropriate adopted given name among a moral civilized audience???

Collapse -
do you know what "Sancho" is in English???
by JP Bill / April 16, 2005 12:52 AM PDT

Do you know what (who) "Sancho Panza" is in the Cigar business?

But then, what's in a name?

Collapse -
Sancho Panza was Don Quixote's squire
by EdH / April 16, 2005 4:20 AM PDT

Hmm, Quixote. keyhoti? Hmmm?

Collapse -
Did you read the book?
by Sancho Panza / April 16, 2005 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Sancho Panza

It's really good and can be applied to many,many moments of life.It's actually one of the best books ever written I think.If you didn't read it,please do so!And if you did,what do you think about it?

SPOUS

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Didn't everyone?
by Glenda / April 16, 2005 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you read the book?
Collapse -
I don't know.
by Sancho Panza / April 16, 2005 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Didn't everyone?

Jack Amman seems to imply that there is a second meaning to the name which I don't know about.What did you think about the book?Personally I liked it but I don't like the way the Spanish King and Queen treated the author Cervantez at the time.And you?

Collapse -
A little quiz.
by Sancho Panza / April 16, 2005 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Didn't everyone?

This shouldn't be a google quiz,ok?

What was it that Quijote did?

What made the book so unique at the time it came out?

Just for fun! Wink

Collapse -
By the way.
by Sancho Panza / April 16, 2005 5:46 AM PDT

The correct spelling of the original title which is Castillian Spanish is Quijote.You learn something every day.;-)

Collapse -
Enlighten me!
by Sancho Panza / April 16, 2005 11:36 AM PDT

"do you know what "Sancho" is in English???

I don't know what it means where you live. Please enlighten me.

Collapse -
Darwin
by kmarchal / April 15, 2005 3:18 AM PDT

natural selection, survival is the only essential ingredient in order to have any organisms,
in existence, anywhere, at all. No special characteristic of the genome is required, other
than the ability to ?ADAPT? to the extant conditions.
(if you cannot adapt to the changing world you will become extinct)

Pre Industrial ???
Industrial Revolutions I Europe 1800?
Industrial Revolutions II USA 1900?
Industrial Revolutions III China / India 2000?
Industrial Revolutions IV "TBA"

take a tour of Ellis Island and see the outsourced manufacturing from Europe to the US and just read some of the propaganda bulletins of that time period.

Is Europe a has-been? NO

Collapse -
Natural Selection
by Asian American / April 15, 2005 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Darwin

Regarding natural selection, the environment selects for those organisms that have the genes that allow for reproduction in the specific environment in question. With some animals, rape is the norm because it is very reproductively advantageous in their given environment. So, I would not believe some evolved trait is positive just because it allows for the highest number of offspring production. Another example is how in today's modern culture, the environment allows for higher fertility among the lower intelligent: the least intelligent people are having the most children, causing a world decine in IQ, see "Dysgenics: Genetic Deterioration
in Modern Populations" http://www.eugenics.net/papers/lynnrev.html

Collapse -
Does it follow that Europe is more modern or
by Dragon / April 15, 2005 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Natural Selection

that Europeans are more intelligent, re their low fertility rates?

Collapse -
by Asian American / April 15, 2005 7:38 PM PDT

There is an overall trend between IQ and number of offspring: the higher the IQ, the less children they have. Here in America, the welfare class, criminals, and minimum wage earners have more children than the upper class such as doctors, engineers, scientists, lawyers, and the like. The same trend exists everywhere in the world. Professor Lynn says that genotypic intelligence is decreasing each generation as a result of this. But, if you want to compare national IQ averages of the countries around the world, here is the chart: http://www.rlynn.co.uk/pages/article_intelligence/t4.htm

Collapse -
Correlation may be close, but I think wrong
by Roger NC / April 15, 2005 8:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply
...the higher the IQ, the less children they have.

There are two other correlations that are more accurate, IMO, as long as you recognize certain beliefs also affect the number of offspring. And this may apply more in the US than in other cultures, of that I'm not certain.

One, the higher the overall education, of parents and children, the lower number of offspring those children have.

Two, the higher the average income, across two or more generations, the lower the number of offspring.

I think you'll find those correlate better than an attempt to correlate native intelligence to number of offspring, which has a ring of elitism and criticism of those than have more offspring, since according to the quote......

..., and minimum wage earners have more children than the upper class...

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
Collapse -
by Asian American / April 15, 2005 8:42 PM PDT

Education status and socio-economic is positively correlated to innate intelligence (IQ). Two articles on IQ research and how it affect life success are:

http://www.psych.utoronto.ca/~reingold/courses/intelligence/cache/1198gottfred.html

and

http://www.lrainc.com/swtaboo/taboos/wsj_main.html

What is your definition of "elitist" and how does me being an "elitist" affect the validity of my claims?

Collapse -
But is inate intelligence hereditary?
by Evie / April 16, 2005 3:42 AM PDT

It shouldn't come as any surprise that getting ahead and being successful in life correlates well with IQ. That appears to be why many high school dropouts from the lower classes go on to become millionaires ...

Collapse -
A yes but reply
by Roger NC / April 16, 2005 5:39 AM PDT
Education status and socio-economic is positively correlated to innate intelligence (IQ).

Quite probably BUT

Innate intteligence does not always correlate to education status and socio-economic positions.

Intelligent individuals born in a society, or just in a personal family situation even, that gives no opportunity for education do not correlate as proposed, but are still intelligent.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
Collapse -
I remember several years ago,
by Dragon / April 16, 2005 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: A yes but reply

reading about a study in which a number of genius level people were tracked. I dont remember it well, but it seems they were 'all over the map' in their jobs. There was quite a bit of variation in income.

Collapse -
"Professor Lynn says that genotypic intelligence is
by Dragon / April 16, 2005 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!