Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Amendment XIV

by C1ay / April 22, 2004 1:53 PM PDT

Section 2 of Amendment XIV reads, "

Representatives shall be apportioned among the several states according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each state, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the executive and judicial officers of a state, or the members of the legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such state, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such state."

Now, is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that the enumeration of representatives is related to the ratio of eligible males denied their right to vote to the whole number of males eligible to vote? What if females that are eligible to vote are denied their right to vote? Isn't this just a little politically incorrect by today's standards?

Does Section 2 of Amendment XIV violate the equal protection clause in Section 1 of the same amendment, ie "nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."? Section 2 doesn't exactly appear equal to me. What am I missing?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Amendment XIV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Amendment XIV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What am I missing?
by J. Vega / April 22, 2004 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Amendment XIV

Date of adoption, 1868.

Collapse -
Yes, but....
by C1ay / April 23, 2004 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: What am I missing?

2 things still seems out of sync. Although Amd. XIV was added in 1868 when only men were allowed to vote, Amd. XIX of 1920 gave women the right to vote and Amd. XXVI of 1971 lowered the voting age to 18.

Amd. XIV alters the basis on which representation is enumerated by a formula based on eligible voters which in 1868, were male citizens, 21 years or older. Eligible voters now start at 18 years and include women. This being the case it seems to me that the intent of Amd. XIV was not preserved when Amds. XIX and XXVI were added.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?