mso-style-parent:"";
font-size:10.0pt;"Times New Roman";}

Hi,
I am doing an IT Diploma Level 3, and am doing the installing and upgrading
software unit. My teacher says that the Microsoft website is wrong because it
doesn't specify the processor family (AMD or INTEL), it only specifies the
speed. However, it is my opinion that so long as the AMD processor is 233MHz
(The minimum XP requirements) It will run. Can anyone shed any light as to if
the minimum requirements are different for AMD processors. It is an argument that
we have had for a while now, and I (We) would like this clearing up.

Many Thanks,

Bryn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AMD XP Minimum Requirements
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AMD XP Minimum Requirements
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Couple of things RIGHT with this question.

In reply to: There are a couple of things wrong here

#1: There wouldn't be much point studying if I knew everything already. And yes, I have installed XP onto an AMD pc, but what are the MINIMUM specifications?
#3: Well, it isn't a homework question, it was just something I thought somebody on this forum may be able to clear up.

Well, If I'm honest, I did do a search or two. The Microsoft website only gives information on clock speed for "Pentium" processors (I assumed the clock speed would be the same for AMD), however, my teacher says that it is only for Intel. If this is the case, and the minimum clock speed for AMD processors is different... What is it?

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865 (XP Minimum Specs)

Collapse -
I think the spec is a lie (much like the cake.)Video at link

In reply to: Couple of things RIGHT with this question.

Collapse -
Answer
The practice will be the proof here.

In reply to: AMD XP Minimum Requirements

Find PC's with the latest AMD and Intel processors with a speed as large as possible but <= 232 MHz and with a speed exactly equal to 233 Mhz. Then see what happens if you install XP on those 4 PC's.

If the experiment can't be done for some reasons (such as the non-availability of such VERY outdated PC's) consider the question as undecidable and continue with more important things (such as studying Windows 7).

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.