Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

AMD vs. Intel, which processor to buy?

by dawn_swe / June 16, 2008 8:10 PM PDT

As some of you might know from previous posts I?m planning on buying a computer and I saw that the AMD processor is much cheaper than the Intel processor and I wonder if there is any bigger difference between these two computers:

AMD:

Cooler Master Centurion 5 Miditower Black/Silver without PSU

Chieftec CFT-500A-12S 500W ATX/DualX EPS-12V 120mm Fan 20/24-pin (AMD&P4 OK)

Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 AMD790FX 4DDR2-DIMM 2PCI 5PCIe SATA Raid Audio GB-LAN Firewire Socket AM2+ ATX

Samsung SH-S203D/BEBN DVD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AMD vs. Intel, which processor to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AMD vs. Intel, which processor to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the q9450 is much faster
by ramarc / June 17, 2008 2:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
consider C2Duo too
by squirtlewa / June 18, 2008 10:13 PM PDT

For gaming, you could consider an Intel dual core from the Core 2 line.

The E8400 would outperform the Phenom in most games and save some money (from your post I assumed the lower $$ for AMD was the motivator), and I see it around $200ish. There's others to choose from too, of course.

I'm afraid right now AMD just hasn't kept up with Intel for CPUs for gamers (I still really like the Phenoms for general office use). I know I'm not alone in hoping they catch up. But for now I really think Intel is the better way to go. As linked above, the data are pretty clear when you put em to the test.

Collapse -
A Prediction
by greybear70 / June 20, 2008 2:33 PM PDT

dawn_swe
Something to think about.
World's Fastest Supercomputers Employ AMD Opteron(TM) Processors to Reach Unprecedented Performance
3 of the Top 5 Systems and 7 of the Top 20 Systems Depend on AMD Innovation Top 20 Showing for AMD Opteron Processors Outpaces any other x86 Processor Architecture by Almost 2:1

DRESDEN, Germany, Jun 18, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- At the International Supercomputing Conference, AMD (AMD) today announced that its AMD Opteron(TM) processors have helped deliver many of the top performing supercomputers in the world. For the first time ever, AMD technology plays a role in the number one supercomputer in the world and this same processor technology that helps drive the number one supercomputer is also readily available for business and personal computing
My prediction? Someday, AMD will leave INTEL in the micro dust. This doesn't help you much with buying your computer today, but it's still something to think about. Good luck, Greybear70

Collapse -
dreams of the future vs today's reality
by squirtlewa / June 21, 2008 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: A Prediction

To some extent that's like saying a Chevy won the Daytona 500, so their cars must be the best mileage. Supercomputers != consumer computers.

I think it'd be great if AMD would catch up and pass, as we all benefit from the results of competition.

But for now doing main HQ in Dresden's euros vs Intel's devalued US$ and the sizable lead Intel has, I think it'll be after we get a new CPU slot (so new mobo) before a person would feel like they'd get categorically better performance from AMD than they can from Intel.

Collapse -
AMD versus Intel MAchine
by Ozzie / June 21, 2008 3:09 PM PDT

I agree the Intel would be much faster at playing games and I also fully agree that you should try and save some money and get a fast dual core rather then a quad core as there are not a whole lot of programs that can take advantage of 4 cores at the moment, or even in the foreseeable future, and not a single game is on the list, although a lot of posters claim that Crysis uses all four (NOT). But if it is just between those no two, go for the Intel. While AMD's beat out Intel's, that only applies to certain ranges of CPUs, and not higher mid-range to high end cpu's.

Thermaltake Tsumani
QX6850
Gigabyte X38 Based MB
Coolit Thermoelectric Chilled Water Cooling
Asus Radeon HD 3870 X2 1gb
4gb HyperX Overclocked Ram
16,820 to 17,000+ 3dMark06

Collapse -
AMD versus Intel MAchine
by mymanatee / June 22, 2008 10:54 PM PDT

AMD has always performed more executions per clock cycles than Intel and as others have stated I too wish AMD would get their stuff together, but currently Intel is kicking AMD?s butt in most categories.

Collapse -
What you should do...
by Forked_Tongue / June 25, 2008 12:48 PM PDT

Look at this comparison chart first http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php before making your decision. I would also recommend dropping your budget in the video card cpu area and get a much better power supply, a bad power supply when it craps out will take out the other peripherals.

I'll take you another direction as well, why not buy a premade quad core and add your own power supply and video card? Here's a pretty cheap option http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DDDADG4&s=dhs&dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=730577

Collapse -
overclock
by repete_smile / June 29, 2008 9:58 AM PDT

Athlon X2 is easy to overclock. Just unlock the multiplier. I think black edition AMDs are already unlocked, I can't afford to buy one to test out my theory though.

Collapse -
whoops
by repete_smile / June 29, 2008 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: overclock

Whoops. i was thinking about athlon xp, a long time ago. remember the pencil unlocking trick. unlocking an X2 is much harder. BEs do come unlocked, googled it.

Collapse -
The ULTIMATE Graphics Benchmark TEST
by bobbyhadley / September 7, 2011 2:26 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!