PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Amd Stock Heat sync

by chris tall / May 2, 2006 11:22 PM PDT

Does anyone know the size of the fan for the Amd stock heat sync? I'm pretty sure it's either 80mm or 70mm.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Amd Stock Heat sync
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Amd Stock Heat sync
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The heat SINKs vary
by Ray Harinec / May 3, 2006 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Amd Stock Heat sync

with the power consumption of the specific CPU, there is no "stock". They design them to provide a specific thermal transfer to have the CPU cooled within spec for 40C within 1 inch of the hub of the fan.

They provide all the details in the thermal design documents available from their website.

Collapse -
Of course I am referring
by Ray Harinec / May 3, 2006 2:10 AM PDT

to the combination of the heat sink and the fan.

Collapse -
Didnt answer anything
by chris tall / May 3, 2006 10:13 PM PDT

You just presented me with a long pointless statement that means nothing. I didnt ask for the size of the heatsink, i want to know the size of the fan that goes with the 3700+/

Collapse -
by WhyFi / May 4, 2006 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Didnt answer anything

That's a good way to get help! And you didn't mention the processor in the OP.

Anyway, the answer to your question is... bah, go find it yourself.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Amen and I second the recommendation !
by VAPCMD / May 6, 2006 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:
Collapse -
Here's how to find out
by nathanpsz2 / May 4, 2006 8:34 AM PDT

1) Buy the CPU that you're wondering about, along with any other components you'd need to put together a system
2) Build the system
3) Install Windows
4) Download and run Prime95
5) Pull up the little levers that hold the heatsink onto the board
6) Take off the heatsink
7) Get a ruler
Cool Put the heatsink next to the open case
9) Use the ruler to measure the heatsink
10) Try not to get hit by the processor when it fries, you n00b.

Just some more helpful advice

Collapse -
Google is your friend
by linkit / May 4, 2006 10:00 AM PDT

The heatsink design and fan model that is packaged with retail versions of CPU's (AMD and Intel) varies with CPU family/model.

Select a particular CPU model and Google its heatsink and fan size.

I Googled: athlon 64 heatsink fan size
...and got a few hits with reviews that detail heatsink models and fan sizes for particular models.

Collapse -
Deleted posts...
by John.Wilkinson / May 6, 2006 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Google is your friend

lost_noob_182, I have deleted your post due to language and personal insults. Both are prohibited by the forum policies, and will not be tolerated. If you don't find an answer helpful, simply press on or restate the question with as much detail as possible. Posts such as that one are simply guiding lights showing you the door. (Consider that a warning.)

Now, nathanpsz2, WhyFi, chuckieu, and linkit: Your replies to lost_noob_182's post, while not offensive, have been deleted since they would have been misplaced orphans after the deletion of his post. Just so you know what happened.

Collapse -
Would that be the height or the altitude?
by brit0n / May 5, 2006 7:41 AM PDT

Or maybe you prefer the width? Of course, if you lie it down on its side, the height would become the width or vice versa.

Then again, size is an interesting concept especially for someone like you.....

Personally, I am not entirely innocent of posting without thinking and even guilty of posting without being too polite. But now that you have set the mark to aim at, I don't think too many people will be trying to beat your record.

Now for a real answer...

There is a small, but useful site which you may have heard of.... http://www.amd.com which has a useful search system. On the basis of your original question, you would get in excess of 1,000 links to references on that site. You could then search within those results. Fun huh?

Collapse -
I think he wants the longitude :-)
by nathanpsz2 / May 6, 2006 1:39 AM PDT

We've probably laughed him off of the forums.

Collapse -
Well it was more for less
by brit0n / May 7, 2006 1:16 PM PDT

You may be right. But it was certainly more fun for us and less fun for the mods to do it this way rather than report it.

Collapse -
"less WORK for the mods"
by brit0n / May 8, 2006 3:26 AM PDT

Oops! Just meant that it was less work for the mods although I see they have had to work anyway.

I wonder if the answer will ever appear if there really is ONE and only ONE answer.

Collapse -
Sorry ..no single answer to such a vague question..
by VAPCMD / May 8, 2006 1:42 PM PDT

Poster wrote:

TITLE: Amd Stock Heat sync

Does anyone know the size of the fan for the Amd stock heat sync? I'm pretty sure it's either 80mm or 70mm

Collapse -
Lost Password?
by WhyFi / May 16, 2006 7:02 AM PDT

His 'friend' must have gained access on his account again... where's the 'rolling eyes' emoticon when you need one?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You got it right and didn't even see the nasty messages !
by VAPCMD / May 16, 2006 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Lost Password?
Collapse -
80mm...i think
by rick550 / May 10, 2006 6:04 PM PDT

i think its 80mm. probably depends on which processor you get, but my Athlon 64 X2 came with an 80mm, and im not sure if its different from the single core heatsinks/fans. but im pretty sure its 80mm. a low profile one :\

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?