PC Hardware forum

General discussion

AMD SOCKET 939....

by Cluchetti / September 30, 2005 7:03 AM PDT

Hi everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please read the following:

(below) Will this be a good motherbord componation with the AMD Athlon 64 3500+?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530

I am building my first computer and I want to be sure everything will work properly. While I'm posting this review, is ASUS and good brand of motherboads?

Thank You very much.

CLuchetti

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AMD SOCKET 939....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AMD SOCKET 939....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You picked the correct chipset
by Ray Harinec / September 30, 2005 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: AMD SOCKET 939....

Asus does make good mobo's, been around forever.

I think that I would disregard the one review that said it was crap because it only lasted three months. Most likely the user did something wrong.

And of course the mobo would be replaced under warranty if he didn't do something drastic to it.

I do not understand the first review where it implied that the BIOS is in some other language. They, like all mobo mfr's sometimes use pidgen english, but don't really understand the comment.

The CPU is 90 NM so it should be good and also easy to cool.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have you ever used ASUS?
by Cluchetti / September 30, 2005 9:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, had a A7V133A
by Ray Harinec / September 30, 2005 11:07 AM PDT

[gave that to a friend] still running fine, still using an Asus P2L97 [yes that's as in 1997]. Still runs fine. Also have a Soyo Dragon running XP with a Barton core 2500+. Only bought the Soyo because it was cheap, and for me. I always use better mobos if for others. I do so little with a computer that I don't need anything great.

Built a socket 939 for my Granddaughter using a Gigabyte, and built another P4 3 GHz using an ABIT. I liked the ABIT best of all because one can read and understand their manual and tech support. Gigabyte mobos are great, but their manuals and email support is absolutely terrible.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Would you recommend ASUS OR GIGABYTE FOR SOCKET 939?
by Cluchetti / September 30, 2005 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, had a A7V133A
Collapse -
Either ABIT, Gigabyte, or Asus as long
by Ray Harinec / September 30, 2005 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: AMD SOCKET 939....

as it is the one with the nForce 4 chipset.

MSI mobos are probably pretty good, however, about two years ago, or so, they got a great writeup at tomshardware, so I ordered one from newegg, while waiting for it I read more at other sites and found that it had some really bad BIOS problems, it took four update versions before MSI got it working fully.[toms later changed the reviews on it to lower its rating to the lowest] And believe it or not, one of the BIOS updates caused the mobo to get fried in some of the peoples mobos. This was a P4 mobo with the 875P Intel chipset. That left a bad taste in my mouth about MSI, however, I'm certain that was an incident that is not too likely to happen again.

I returned it to newegg without ever opening it and got the gigabyte [more money]. Had to call newegg to explain why I didn't want it, but would take the Gigabyte. I had bought enough from them that they didn't argue.

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / September 30, 2005 5:18 PM PDT

This could've been because some processor manufacturers did not give the info to the motherboard manufactuers to the last minute so it ended up the manufacturer had to make counteless revisions to support everything.

ROger

Collapse -
But it did NOT happen to any
by Ray Harinec / September 30, 2005 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

other mobo's using that chipset and the Intel CPU's in that time frame.

However, if I weren't an Abit fan because of their better written manual, and a gigabyte fan, but thought that an MSI was the best deal, I would not hesitate to buy one, now.

The risk with Abit, is that they are in financial trouble and could go out. They lost the class action suit re the bad capacitors and were ordered to replace any board with the problem, replace it and give a multiyear warranty. [this was years after, and they no longer were making those mobo types.]

The capacitor problem was industry wide, but it seems that Abit had begun to use them very early and thus their mobos used virtually only the bad ones.

I like their mobos now because one can be sure that they use only the best capacitors. [and they write the manuals in pretty good English, LOL]

Collapse -
Do you prefer ASus over Gigbyte when it comes to bios and,
by Cluchetti / September 30, 2005 11:24 PM PDT

overall Reliability??

Collapse -
(NT) Personally I would choose Gigabyte.
by Ray Harinec / September 30, 2005 11:41 PM PDT

However they are usually a little more expensive.

As for reliability, it really is a moot point. Everything on the mobo are basically solid state devices. In order to make unreliable devices the manufacturer would have to intentionally do something wrong. Basically the manufacturing process that is required to make solid states devices is so thoroughly controlled and costly, that a manufacturer could not stay in business if the process created unreliable devices.

Basically, if the solid state device gets past the infant mortality period [maybe 150 hours or so], it could run virtually forever. There is only one naturally occurring failure mode for a perfectly made semiconductor, and that takes many years to happen.

Of course the user must provide adequate airflow and cooling.

The weakest areas are the large electrolytic capacitors around the area of the CPU, and the power supply, [which also uses such capacitors].

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?