Desktops forum

General discussion

AMD processor query

Hi guys.

I bought my first PC in 1998 that I?m still using but with the processor being an Intel Pentium 3, 500 mhz, I simply cannot put up with it any longer. I had saved a bit of money now and wish to buy a new processor, motherboard and RAM and may be a graphics card. I am basically looking for some advice and get some questions answered.

After doing a lot of research as I did not want to waste my money as this new rig will have to last me a good few years I decided upon going with an AMD processor rather than an Intel. The reason being I am mostly using my PC for word processing and such tasks and not for gaming.

Initially I chose one of AMD?s Athlons 64 processors but I have come to the decision that it will be better of for me to go with the following processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ AM2 2.5GHz. Now the questions I have are?

1) I understand the figure 4800 but some times I see it with a plus (+) and some times not. Could you clear up the meaning of this for me?

2) This processor is available in both 65 and 90 nanometre versions, what?s the difference?

3) This processor is available in two different power ratings: 89W or 65W, again what does this mean?

4) I will have to get a new motherboard so what do you recommend?

5) Finally, just out of personal interest because there is no way I could afford to even if I wanted to, is there a motherboard that can take two of these AMD cpu?s? I know there are motherboards that can take several AMD opteron processors but what about the X2 processors?

Thanks for taking a look. Cheers!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AMD processor query
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AMD processor query
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My humble opinion

In reply to: AMD processor query

I personally would not try to update an 1998 computer as it would cost you more for the Power supply,,ram,,MOBO,,graphics card,,CPU and Operating system (They may not fit the case)than what you could by a new one for.Plus you are still stuck with the older slower optical drives. If you are not into completely building your own some of the major Manf,s have deals.

Collapse -
My recommendation

change to an Intel CPU platform ... like the Core 2 Duo (C2D) - two CPU cores in one chip, 65nm technology .... most of the rest about the CPU is irrelevant unless you want to play engineer. And depending on how soon you buy...there are MBs for the Core 2 Duo and the newer Quad Core CPU. So you could go with a dual core CPU now and later, drop in a Quad Core if you really have the need for speed...again very expensive for very little performance over the dual core CPUs.

Do some reading over at http://www.tomshardware.com or http://www.anandtech.com there's a lot of good info there.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
To answer the questions...

1) I don't think I've seen it without the +. My guess would be that some program may take it out in displaying text or to save room.

2) From Wikipedia about that: "As of 2005, 65 nm technology has started to replace 90 nm technology in leading-edge chip products. However, some products, notably chipsets, have moved from older 130 nm technology to the 90 nm process."

3) That one is more energy efficient than the other. The 65W one will use less electricity and likely generate less heat than the 89W one.

4) Go look on various sites like Extremetech.com that list parts for assembling a system.

5) Yes there likely are such motherboards though I would caution that under Windows XP these aren't a good idea as AMD's QuadFX which uses 2 CPU sockets didn't fare well under XP according to various review sites.

Collapse -
difference between two processors...

In reply to: To answer the questions...

thanks for all your thoughts and opinions. the following processor costs roughly

Collapse -
AM2 vs. 939...

In reply to: difference between two processors...

Well, some of Intel's latest CPUs have 4 MB of cache so things are increasing a bit there in some respects though I'm not sure how well to measure how useful this is in terms of overall performance.

I would note that Socket 939 is being discontinued now and so getting parts may be an issue if there are problems while the AM2 socket is newer and will be supported for a while though I'm not sure how long that is.

Actually, you can't use a 939 in an AM2 or an AM2 in a 939 as there is a difference in the pin configuration where one has an extra pin. AM2 supports DDR2 memory while the 939 socket supports DDR is the major difference between the sockets is one other thing to consider.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
understanding things a little better...

In reply to: AM2 vs. 939...

hi. thanks for your input JB, your answers are straight to the point and are making a lot of sense to me. so ive decided to go with a AM2 processor and not a socket 939. i think the AMD Athlon? 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+ would be the right one for me. however, this comes in speeds of 2.4ghz and 2.5ghz. i think there is a difference with the L2 cache too...

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/SideBySide.aspx?&opn=ADO4800IAA6CS&opn=ADO4800IAA5DD

what do you guys recommend out the two. i think the 2.4Ghz would suit me well. ok, here is where i will need some input...motherboard! i really cant get my head round these as there are so many options. after doing some research and with finding it difficult to understand certain features i picked a few. but narrowed it down to the following...

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=24493118429&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=112170&spec_type=ZXh0ZW5kZWQ=

but i dont understand the graphics situation. i assume i will have to get a graphics card right? so what would do a decent job considering i will not be using this for gaming. i really dont get this graphics business, the terminology, please help!

Collapse -
I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ socket 939...

In reply to: understanding things a little better...

But the ONLY reason I didn't go Intel Core 2 Duo was because I already had a high end Socket 939 motherboard and 2GBs of high speed DDR 400. Before the Core 2 Duo I would have definitely recommended AMD...but the Core 2 Duo is such a cool, powerful CPU ... you're just shortchanging yourself by not buying it.

Do yourself a favor and take the time to read some the reveiws at Tomshardware.com or Anandtech.com. If after that you're not convinced by all means by whatever you want.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.