Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

Question

AMD FX 8350 CPU Heatsink levers will not latch on!!??

by REF_Chris / July 9, 2013 3:45 AM PDT

Great, my thread was deleted for some reason? I don't know..

Anyway, the levers will not latch on to my
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 Motherboard

I have heard of people having to apply great pressure for it to latch on, but this makes no sense to me, should not be this way.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AMD FX 8350 CPU Heatsink levers will not latch on!!??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AMD FX 8350 CPU Heatsink levers will not latch on!!??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So what did you do?
by Brettyboop / January 20, 2014 4:26 PM PST

I'm having the same problem with the exactly the same cpu and motherboard. Argh...

Collapse -
test reply
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 2:57 AM PST
In reply to: So what did you do?

test test.

Collapse -
Thanks It worked this time...before it just didn't respond
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2014 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: test reply

to "Submit Reply" even with the box checked.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Must have needed a jiggle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 4:16 AM PST

Sort of what you do to the running toilet.

Collapse -
Unfortunatelly the original poster did not ever post
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2014 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: So what did you do?

the outcome to his/her dilemma.

So ....I'd double/triple check the orientation of the CPU in the CPU socket....if you're 100% sure it's right, I'd contact the vendor or mfg for additional verification and support. If that fails to resolve it...take it back to the retailer or get an RMA to return to the mfg.

VAPCMD

PS...I did not see a GA-970A-D3 motherboard but there are several others with "D3??" after the GA-970A plus some other characters.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
One.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2013 4:52 AM PDT

Return it as defective. It's clear the product or the product instructions are defective and both support and seller are not helping. Return it as a manufacturing defect.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Sure that product would work on an AM3+ socket ?
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2014 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: new brackets
Collapse -
why wouldn't it?
by James Denison / January 21, 2014 4:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Because it said AM3 and both the MB and the CPU are AM3+.
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2014 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: why wouldn't it?

Not all such products are 'compatible and interchangeable' between CPU platforms.

VAPCMD

PS....Further reading I was able to locate the reference MB...looks like it's been out for awhile. My first thought it was the CPU socket lever but obviously I misread that. Assuming the CPU is installed correctly and the HS is properly seated ....more force/pressure is required to lock the stock HS fan in place.

Collapse -
full bracket vs split bracket
by James Denison / January 21, 2014 3:26 PM PST

For some motherboards rated to run processors over 90-100W some manufacturers decided the full bracket didn't allow enough air flow under the edges of the heatsink which would allow a bit more cooling, so they basically cut the sides off the full bracket to accomplish that. Unfortunately it can mean some of the force of installing the heatsink ever so slightly warps the board during the install, making it a bit harder to install the heat sink. Personally I think that's pretty much a lot of malarkey, but if one isn't running a really hot CPU, a full bracket is better in my opinion.

Collapse -
more info on brackets
by James Denison / January 21, 2014 3:39 PM PST

but not much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3%2B

The AM3+ Socket specification contains a few noteworthy design changes over its AM3 predecessor. The 942-pin socket count for the AM3+ is an increase of one over the AM3 Socket's 941-pin socket layout.[2] The AM3+ Socket has larger pin socket diameter of 0.51 mm compared to 0.45 mm with the AM3 Socket. There is a faster serial link of 3400 kHz from the CPU to the power controller, compared to 400 kHz. The AM3+ Socket offers improved power regulation and power quality specifications, including an increased maximum current support of 145 A versus 110 A. There is also a redesigned CPU cooler retention harness allowing for slightly better airflow for CPU cooling, while retaining cooler backward compatibility.[3]

Some manufacturers have brought AM3+ support to some of their AM3 motherboards via a simple BIOS upgrade.[4] Mechanical compatibility has been confirmed and it's possible for AM3+ CPUs to fit in AM3 boards, provided they can supply enough peak current.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!