PC Hardware forum

General discussion

AMD Athlon 64 ... which should I get?

by braseth / August 18, 2006 10:36 PM PDT

I'm getting a new HP Pavilion and I'm customizing it now. I don't game, but the idea of making DVDs intrigues me. The default processor is the 64 3500 ... for 80 dollars more, i can upgrade to the 3800. Is it worth the price? Am I really going to see a difference in my everyday tasks?

I've always been of the mindset that the power is in the memory, and it's better to get more memory than a slightly better processor but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AMD Athlon 64 ... which should I get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AMD Athlon 64 ... which should I get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More memory or higher speed CPU
by gibson4342 / August 19, 2006 1:49 AM PDT

This depends on how much memory you have now. If you have 128MB, 256MB or 512MB I would spend the money on more memory and to to 1 Gig. You are not going to get that much more speed at those lower amounts of Memory. After 1 Gig I would start to favour the higher processor Speed. With CPU pricing falling as we speek you should get a good price on faster CPU's. If you can hang on for a month or two you should be able to get great deals on CPU's at higher speeds

Regards

Gibson

Collapse -
AMD Athlon 64
by mitch_stein / August 19, 2006 2:34 AM PDT

I have experience with many of the athlon 64's. I havn't noticed a difference worth $80.00 between the two you are comparing. However there is a huge difference if you were to move to the Athlon FX 64 line. Thats worth a couple hundred bucks to upgrade to.

As for memory, more memory is always a good thing to limit. 1 Gig ram is ideal for a desktop runinng XP, 2 Gigs for game playing. However going over 2 gigs can actually slow your system down. As now it has more RAM to refresh every clock cycle. As for the Vista OS it seems to need 2 gigs to run at peak performance and 4 gigs is the limit for performance gain verses loss at clock cycles.

So in conclusion for windows xp and video processing 1 gig is ideal 2 gigs is max recommended. You might be better off looking to your video card for a performance increase if you already have these specs. First get a E PCI card at 16x with 256 ram, make sure it uses either an Nvidia or ATI chipset and is direct x9 compatible.

Mitch
http://www.Garageaction.com

Collapse -
Thanks
by braseth / August 19, 2006 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: AMD Athlon 64

I'm definitely getting 1 gig of memory. Haven't thought much about the video card but will research that. Thanks!

I was shocked to read that visita is optimal w/ 2 gigs. Not many people have that amount.

Collapse -
move up to an x2
by ramarc / August 19, 2006 5:57 AM PDT

you seem to be customizing an a1530e. consider moving up to an a1550e and get a x2 dual-core cpu. you'll definitely see better performance with multiple apps open.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?