General discussion

AMD Athlon 64 ... which should I get?

I'm getting a new HP Pavilion and I'm customizing it now. I don't game, but the idea of making DVDs intrigues me. The default processor is the 64 3500 ... for 80 dollars more, i can upgrade to the 3800. Is it worth the price? Am I really going to see a difference in my everyday tasks?

I've always been of the mindset that the power is in the memory, and it's better to get more memory than a slightly better processor but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: AMD Athlon 64 ... which should I get?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AMD Athlon 64 ... which should I get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
More memory or higher speed CPU

This depends on how much memory you have now. If you have 128MB, 256MB or 512MB I would spend the money on more memory and to to 1 Gig. You are not going to get that much more speed at those lower amounts of Memory. After 1 Gig I would start to favour the higher processor Speed. With CPU pricing falling as we speek you should get a good price on faster CPU's. If you can hang on for a month or two you should be able to get great deals on CPU's at higher speeds

Regards

Gibson

- Collapse -
AMD Athlon 64

I have experience with many of the athlon 64's. I havn't noticed a difference worth $80.00 between the two you are comparing. However there is a huge difference if you were to move to the Athlon FX 64 line. Thats worth a couple hundred bucks to upgrade to.

As for memory, more memory is always a good thing to limit. 1 Gig ram is ideal for a desktop runinng XP, 2 Gigs for game playing. However going over 2 gigs can actually slow your system down. As now it has more RAM to refresh every clock cycle. As for the Vista OS it seems to need 2 gigs to run at peak performance and 4 gigs is the limit for performance gain verses loss at clock cycles.

So in conclusion for windows xp and video processing 1 gig is ideal 2 gigs is max recommended. You might be better off looking to your video card for a performance increase if you already have these specs. First get a E PCI card at 16x with 256 ram, make sure it uses either an Nvidia or ATI chipset and is direct x9 compatible.

Mitch
http://www.Garageaction.com

- Collapse -
Thanks

I'm definitely getting 1 gig of memory. Haven't thought much about the video card but will research that. Thanks!

I was shocked to read that visita is optimal w/ 2 gigs. Not many people have that amount.

- Collapse -
move up to an x2

you seem to be customizing an a1530e. consider moving up to an a1550e and get a x2 dual-core cpu. you'll definitely see better performance with multiple apps open.

CNET Forums