Laptops forum

General discussion

AMD APU A10 or Intel i5 processor ?

by ari1719 / March 12, 2014 10:39 PM PDT

Hi Guys,

My Lenovo G530 is currently falling apart, and I've been saving up to get myself a new notebook. I live in India, and in terms of Indian rupees my budget is Rs.40000. Two laptops which I've zeroed in on are mentioned in the thread title. Their specs are -

Dell Inspiron - http://www.flipkart.com/dell-inspiron-15-laptop-4th-gen-ci5-6gb-750gb-ubuntu/p/itmdpzjmnj6pgynz
HP Pavilion 15 - http://www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-15-e026ax-laptop-apu-quad-core-a10-8gb-1tb-dos-1-5gb-graph/p/itmdp2awh5hdhndg

As you will see, the primary difference between the two is that one gives an APU A10 Quad Core and the other a Intel Core i5. Otherwise I think the HP laptop beats the Dell one by a fair margin (HDD, Graphics, RAM).

The G530 I have uses a Intel Pentium Dual Core T3400 with Intel integrated graphics, and though I can't complain of processing power, I've had to suffer the ignominy of running Black Ops at 640x480 resolution, even when I upgraded to 3GB from the default 1GB. I can't say I'm a gamer (not with a laptop like the G530), but I do like playing games in my spare time. Otherwise I have about 15-20 browser windows open and 5-7 Office docs, hammering away at the keyboard.

Now I want good processing (like the Dual Core gives me), but I want the ability to play the latest games as well (not on best settings, but not at smartphone resolutions either). A decent battery backup would be an added advantage, as would be less heating. Finally, I know this sounds very "noob" but I'd like real dual layer support (which my G530 vendor claimed it had but actually lacked, forcing me to use a Buffalo external drive) so I can actually make use of game and HD movie DVDs.

Please advise me as to which one I should choose. I'm not at all doctrinaire regarding the choice, so if you have a better candidate in this price bracket ($600 approx. I guess) , I'd be more than happy to consider it.

Thanks in advance for your help guys (and girls Wink )

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AMD APU A10 or Intel i5 processor ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AMD APU A10 or Intel i5 processor ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have a few at the office.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2014 12:21 AM PDT

We have some i5 and AMD A10 machine. The i5 is a better choice if we exclude games. The AMD A10 is picked if the person insists on playing games.
Bob

Collapse -
Office work plus a little gaming in long run
by ari1719 / March 13, 2014 1:03 AM PDT

Thanks. Actually the laptop will mostly be used for general work but I don't want to be stranded with it in a year's time when trying to play the latest games. I know this will likely be impossible given the speed at which games are improving, but I'd still like to get the best my budget has to offer.

Also, is there any APU better than A10 for the laptops ?

Collapse -
Then even the A10 is not for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2014 1:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Awesome laptop, but available in India ?
by ari1719 / March 13, 2014 2:18 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion it is really an awesome laptop. Dual discrete GPUs and core i7 will simply rock any game I guess. I don't know if I could afford it ATM though. I guess I could take the EMI route but I don't know if they will ship it to India on EMI. I don't want to be borrowing money from friends for the laptop. Grin I'll check out the Indian version of Amazon though to see if it's available and at what price.

On a side note, would you go for Lenovo over HP and Dell ? I zeroed in on the two latter companies because my friends suggested that anything above $500 should be from these companies. Otherwise I'm rather happy with the service my own Lenovo gave me before it began collapsing (non responsive HDD, crashes and freezes, etc) earlier this year. I've also used the Nexus devices from Asus but I don't know what to think of them when considering laptops.

Collapse -
Keep in mind HP burned me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2014 2:38 AM PDT

Since HP burned me at 3 months on a laptop I can't suggest that brand. For me, they are no longer a maker I will consider since they walked on the warranty.

The AMD A10 is again as good as gaming gets for the price and can do the usual other work just fine. However those that want gaming really need to think desktop if the price is an issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Then no HP I guess
by ari1719 / March 13, 2014 3:21 AM PDT

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep a safe distance from HP then. I guess I'll have to look for other A10 devices then. Could you comment on this one from lenovo ?
http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-essential-g505s-59-380131-laptop-apu-quad-core-10-4gb-1tb-win8-2gb-graph/p/itmdpfd9fgjbcrwd

The RAM is halved, but the processor seems to be a different model from the HP one. Also, it gives ATI Sunpro, is it good ?

I wanted a desktop but I'll be living in a paying guest accommodation soon and I'm not sure a desktop would be allowed. Sad

Collapse -
Link, comment
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2014 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Then no HP I guess
Collapse -
Thanks, I'm planning to go for the Lenovo, but how is Sony ?
by ari1719 / March 15, 2014 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment

Thanks it seems I should go with the Lenovo G505s. Bit above my budget but doesn't poke a hole in the pocket either. Before going with it is though, I wanted your opinion on Sony's VAIO s. It seems the folks in my city have finally started stocking VAIO s in my price range. I've never used Sony but it seems really hyped.

Also, overall will a Intel/Nvidia or AMD/AMD processor/GPU combo be better ? I know it is stupid asking for a comparison without citing products, but even a general idea would do.

Collapse -
Sorry, can't answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2014 3:24 AM PDT

Unless we get a specific model I can't check it out. Hope you understand.
Bob

Collapse -
Can't find a A10 model, but found this
by ari1719 / March 15, 2014 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, can't answer.
Collapse -
Given what you wanted
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 3:13 AM PDT

I would not go down a notch to the A8. I hope you understand that if I agreed and you found the gaming to be less than what you get on the A10 you might be upset with me for years.
Bob

Collapse -
I wouldn't be upset with you for anything :D
by ari1719 / March 16, 2014 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Given what you wanted

You've been helping out a total newbie with his stupid questions. I have no right to be upset with you for anything. Happy

That said, yes I guess there's a reason AMD calls one A8 and the other A10. I guess that pretty much sends Sony out of the window. I've listed two options in a post below, which I think are the only ones left now.

Collapse -
My final comparison
by ari1719 / March 16, 2014 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, can't answer.

I've done a little more research, and have come up with a competitor for the G505S, theG500. Here is a comparison between those two and the HP Pavilion 15 (just for reference).

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://www.flipkart.com/computer/compare?ids=COMDPFD94YGXAY4X,COMDP2AWH5HDHNDG,COMDMKF9TZJG6JAZ

<span>In case of problems accessing the link, I've also attached the PDF scan of the page -
<span>

<div><span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8kQzpdDTVEDLWRMQmJ6d194b2M/edit?usp=sharing
<span>
</div><span>

<span>

Collapse -
The Lenovo A10 looks nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: My final comparison

Sorry but the burn marks from HP are too deep for me to advise any HP product today.
Bob

Collapse -
I understand, but what about the other Lenovo ?
by ari1719 / March 16, 2014 6:54 AM PDT

Yes I'm not considering HP, since it would be a story of fools going where angels fear to tread (I can be hyperbolic at times). What about the i5 Lenovo model though, it seems to be placed at almost the same price as the G505s. Wonder why Lenovo would put out two laptops with such similar specs ? Or am I missing something ?

Collapse -
That other Lenovo with the i5
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 9:18 AM PDT

Nice hardware but no Windows OS so you would be paying a lot more and learning why I don't suggest folk install Windows if they need it to go to work today. It's a fine skill to develop but if you want a working, ready to use laptop, it would not be that one.
Bob

Collapse -
I have a Windows 7 Home Edition key
by ari1719 / March 17, 2014 12:03 AM PDT

Yes I know the OS installation is a mighty pain. Have to go through those blue-screen BIOS settings and then wait for the CD/pendrive to boot up. I have a pirated Windows 7 Home DVD with a genuine key I got from a friend. I know this is a grey area, but I'll go with Ubuntu if I have to stay strictly legal. Anyhow I'll be heading into those blue screens to format and change the partitions (though Windows 7 does allow for this feature during installation).

I'd prefer a working laptop from day one no doubt, but I'm not averse to getting my hands dirty with some time-consuming installation either. At any rate I have to format my G530 every four months or so. *sigh*

I know I'm dragging the discussion away from the A10, but I really would like to focus on the hardware, since, as they say, that's what's permanent. Grin

Collapse -
You may have that but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2014 2:12 AM PDT

I rarely find folk that can pull it off. Good luck!
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks I followed your advice
by ari1719 / March 25, 2014 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: You may have that but

Thanks I followed your advice and went with the Lenovo G505s with Windows 8. It says 4GB of GRAM which I can't exactly make sense of, but the performance is great. Heating is a bit of an issue when playing games but overall it is a great buy.

Thanks a million. HappyHappy

Collapse -
What is this heating issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2014 6:23 AM PDT

Today's systems do heat up. Laptops are very much unlike a desktop where the keyboard is detached from the case.

Why I ask is that I'm encountering a new bunch of buyers that feel any heat production is bad.

Maybe in a decade we'll get there where the surface temps will be just a degree or two above ambient, but not today.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.