PC Hardware forum

General discussion

AMD 3200+ vs. P4 3.2?

by clutch / October 22, 2003 4:49 AM PDT

I'm building a new PC. I've always been pro-AMD since they have always been just as fast or faster than Intel processors and at a much lower cost. However, it looks as now the AMD 3200+ and the Intel P4 3.2 is almsot neck and neck. Prices are just about the same. In the long run I'm not sure which to get...which will benifit me for a longer period of time. Typical use of my PC would include ripping MP3s, burning DVD's, gaming, some word processing. That's about it.

I've done searches on the web for ratings of these processors only to find that the results vary. Intel seems to always win, sometimes by a lot...sometimes by little.

www.pricewatch.com has the AMD 3200+ 400 at $425 and the P4 3.2 800 at $409. So the P4 is cheaper.

Should I stay loyal to AMD or bail on it for the always talked about

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AMD 3200+ vs. P4 3.2?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AMD 3200+ vs. P4 3.2?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:AMD 3200+ vs. P4 3.2?
by cartmanken / October 22, 2003 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: AMD 3200+ vs. P4 3.2?

Your choice as both are good and fast. Newegg.com has AMD64 for $404. Gotta have a new motherboard, 'though.

Collapse -
by Mark G / October 22, 2003 1:55 PM PDT

ill stand with amd all the way

Collapse -
by Willy / October 23, 2003 12:06 AM PDT

I don't want this to be a pissing contest, but I've always build AMD more than Intel. I rarely found one to fail beause of the cpu I picked. However, in the long run Intel is a better choice due to compatibility that some pgms. are more prone to work with, but that's hardly an issue with the new AMDs. Usually, the more business ordinated the s/w, it really is a better choice to pick, Intel. If you get into a server situation, then Intel definetly. Overall, AMD does quite well and I use them all the time. There's hardly any noticable output difference once all the cares of the systems are taken care of such as cooling and power. So, if copst is the driving factor, pick AMD. -----Willy

Collapse -
NT - I wonder if clutch was helped...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / November 8, 2003 8:00 PM PST

`?

Collapse -
by wgrayson / November 9, 2003 12:04 AM PST

While I'm note pricing at the 3+ level, I am pricing and comparing name brand Pentium vs Athlon chips at 2.8 Pentium / 2800 AMDs. Are they comparable? The price difference between name brand models is about $150, in Athlon's favor.

I plan a little DVD burning, and very basic video editing in the years to come. That would be the fullest extent to which I would push my system. Most of my applications are standard business apps.

Collapse -
by Ross / November 9, 2003 1:30 AM PST

Hi I've given a little thought to such also. Once thing to concider is an operating system. With the 64 there is only one os which supports this now SUSe. Which I have a copy coming. M$ is starting work on one now newer version of xp. I am guessing this will be the new trend for processors. So In time I will go with the new athlon.

Collapse -
by Art / November 9, 2003 3:11 AM PST

Hey Willy, no P contest intended here..

It seem somewhere in back of my mind I remember something about the more RAM the better the P4 will work; so if you intend to load up on RAM to the max. the board allow, then go with the P4.

But hey what do I know, I haven't touch a new computer in 3 years. However I will gladly accept either one, hehe.

Collapse -
they're really not that even
by stephenlk / July 22, 2005 5:08 AM PDT

The AMD 3200+ is not rated at 3.2 Ghz unless you do overclocking and then you need to add alot of cooling to get 3.2 Ghz out of it.
The P4 3.2 is the better choice for someone not doing overclocking.
Quote from Extremetech.com; "The raw clock rate of the 3200+ is only 2.2GHz... "

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / July 22, 2005 10:43 AM PDT

Clock speed is not important in this comparison.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.