Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ambulances on alert

Aug. 18, 2004 ? The very lights and sirens that urge us to make way when we see and hear an ambulance approaching could be powerful tools in the hands of terrorists intent on using that very promise of help to camouflage a bomb.

On Aug. 1, U.S. officials warned that al Qaeda terrorists could be planning attacks on financial institutions in New York City, New Jersey and Washington, D.C.

ABC News has learned that in the wake of that alert, authorities in the Northeast are investigating at least four incidents where people asked suspicious, detailed questions of firefighters and emergency personnel about how ambulances are operated ? how fast they go, and when drivers should turn on the siren.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/US/ambulance_terror_040818-1.html

Another example of murderous minds.Sad

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ambulances on alert
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ambulances on alert
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought Angeline

In reply to: Ambulances on alert

Perhaps the authorities could fit an electronic tag to each ambulance, which cannot be removed without a red alert. Then security will be able to check at an instance if an ambulance is genuine, and not loaded with explosive.

Collapse -
Thanks, Steve

In reply to: Just a thought Angeline

The relevant authorities have come up with ways to insure identification of "the real thing". But, of course, they aren't saying what they are.

I suspect the same is true in the UK. These guys target everybody, even their own countrymen.

Appreciate your interest!

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: Thanks, Steve

In reply to: Thanks, Steve

The problem will also be that even if the vehicles are electronically "tagged", making sure any missing/stolen ones are known immediately to all authorities. And of course making sure none of the tags are misplaced or stolen.

RogerNC

Collapse -
Re: Ambulances on alert

In reply to: Ambulances on alert

Dear Angeline

As our roads are very narrow generally, we do get ourselves out of the way when the siren sounds. It seems to me that anyone reading that alert will get of the way an awful lot quicker in future, and perhaps that is no bad thing whether the ambulance is legitimate or otherwise!

It is such a depressing suggestion, in principle, though, that I will say no more.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: Ambulances on alert

In reply to: Re: Ambulances on alert

The "main" street closest to me has 2 lanes each way, with a turn lane in the middle. On each side are businesses.

If I am on the way to the grocer's, I will be in the lane closest to the turn one. There will be cars in the adjoining lane. No way to pull over. So I just stop so the emergency vehicle can use the turn lane to get by. I see no way that 2 lanes of traffic going the same way can pull over in time.

There is a lot of road work going on in the city. Folks are supposed to slow down when the see the signs. Most do, but we have had some workers killed.

Angeline

Collapse -
You say that ....

In reply to: Re: Ambulances on alert

folks should slow down for road works, and that is of course an absolute (not that that will be of much comfort to your roadworkers, regrettably), but with sirens it is difficult to know from which direction they are coming. It was easy when we were listening for bells, but they have given us a combination of "Wah Wahs" now and they are impossible to detect until the vehicle or its flashing lights is visible.

I think it must be something to do with the vibration pitch causing an echo/ricochet effect in a suburban environment (e.g. car and shop windows?), but this leads to "dithering" by motorists in all directions who don't know what to do until the last minute.

Not so good, IMO. Do you have this problem, or perhaps you have different "wah wahs", though I wonder, cos we seem to have copied the US for the sound?

Getting back to the point of your original post though, high profile is not exactly low profile for a discreet operation. But thanks to that article, it certainly ain't low profile now...

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: You say that ....

In reply to: You say that ....

That "which direction?" problem is the same here. Your theory as to "why" is most reasonable. I often wonder how those whose car interiors are filled wit noise hear them at all, as well.

As to the "wah wahs", the police, fire, and EMT-ambulance vehicles all have them. In my area the cadence and tone are different for police and fire. I have to admit that it takes me some moments to discern which is which. The police seem to have more of a "whoop" than a "wah".

I've been in your country, so have heard your sirens (don't recall if fire, police or ambulance). They are different from those here, also in tone and cadence.

Oh, yes - oftentimes in the mix is the always red "fire chief's" car.

Several years ago there was a bombing of an abortion clinic. A second bomb was timed to go off after emergency workers arrived. A home-grown terrorist.

Angeline

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.