The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Amazons video store is live!

by 60warhawk / September 7, 2006 11:30 AM PDT

Finally...the long awaited amazon video Store is live. Guys check out www.unbox.com.

Its got a little bit of variety (definitely better than Vongo - Vongo sucks in terms of variety of movies)though.Prices vary greatly for both rental and to-keep videos.I think the rental prices are too hgh more than 3 bucks per recent release.I'd go with netflix then ha!Prices for to keep videos range from 7-15 bucks...again this depends on how recent the movie is.

Oh Steve...I hope you come up with a flat fee...ahem!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Amazons video store is live!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Amazons video store is live!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few notes to consider. Pay close attention TMV....
by jazzyj1 / September 7, 2006 1:51 PM PDT

Amazon notes followed by my own:

Can I make a DVD from my Amazon Unbox downloads?
"You can store your downloaded files on a DVD or other removable computer storage device for the purpose of backup in the same format as the original files. However, any DVDs that you burn with Amazon Unbox files will not be readable by a DVD player. You can only view the files using Amazon Unbox installed on the computer that originally received the downloads.."

Can I use Amazon Unbox on my Macintosh or iPod?

[duh, of course not. But what if you use Parallels with XP on a Mac?]

"Unfortunately, our Amazon Unbox video downloads are not compatible with Apple / MacIntosh hardware and computer systems."

File sizes:
30-minute TV episode=600MB, 1-hour TV episode=1.2GB,
-------------------------------------------------------
Well, at least we know that they are big enough to be better quality than anything that iTunes is selling RIGHT NOW.

However, I think Amazon MAY have won me over if I wasn't so interested in getting a Mac as my next computer.

Here is something to think about and debate:

Take a look at the approved media devices that you CAN transfer to. You see the Vision:M on there, right? The device that comes with a video out you can play on ANY tv you want. The device that works with the new WMP11. If MS adds this store or these titles to WMP11, and lets me load it on a Vision:M or W (widescreen), it'd be some serious competition.

For me, the big feature is watching TV programs I purchase online on my TV and having a good quality. That's it. Believe it or not, I want to choose whether I watch programs on my tv or portable device, but I want to be able to do both. Whether I use Apple's possible VideoPort replacement, or a Vision:M, that's the catch.

I still wanna see what Apple will do to counter this.

Collapse -
Not being able to burn to DVD is a showstopper for me
by jeffgoblue / September 8, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

The choice between watching on a 20" computer monitor or a 50" TV ain't no choice at all. Hopefully, providers will eventually figure out that consumers don't want DRM'd content that locks us in to a limited number of devices and platforms.

It will be interesting to see what Jobs et al has up their sleeves next week, but if it doesn't include burning to DVD, then I just don't even see the point.

Jeff

Collapse -
the Video Airport(?) might be a stopgap for me
by jazzyj1 / September 8, 2006 3:00 AM PDT

I was having the same thoughts, but I'm also willing to bend my ideals if he introduces a Video version of the Airport, as rumored. If they increase the quality/size of the vids, and provide the means to stream to my tv, I'll give it some serious consideration. Still, it'll mean more money in his pockets than me saving money, not buying that device, and burn it straight to a DVD.

Collapse -
Worst Pricing Ever! (In Comic-Book-Store-Guy voice)
by Dhalgren / September 7, 2006 4:14 PM PDT

Why oh why would I pay $20 for a DRM'd movie when I can go to the store and by the same movie for ~$15 or less with no DRM, Special Features, and a hard copy that can't accidentally be erased or go away if my HD crashes? In order to motivate me to buy a movie online in softcopy form it would have to be a non-DRM'd .ISO and cost about $2. There's just too many easier ways for me to get the same thing cheaper or for "free".

Waiting patiently for a reasonable reason...

(and not having to go to a physical store is not worth it.)

Collapse -
Okay, I was a little off
by Dhalgren / September 7, 2006 4:20 PM PDT

I went to the web page and apparently the pricing is better than I thought. However, even at $10 it's still DRM'd, I can't watch it at my TV using my DVD player, and I probably can't watch it on my TV using my MythTV system (The DRM probably doesn't support Linux). And I'm tech-savy. The rest of the world that just wants to watch a movie won't want to pay $10 to watch a movie by themselves on their computer...

Collapse -
no mac support?
by 60warhawk / September 8, 2006 12:30 AM PDT

Theres no support for mac...what the hell....only for windows...come on amazon..wake up...

Collapse -
Amazon beats iTunes, and loses
by Millennium Knight / September 8, 2006 2:08 AM PDT

I was pleased to see that Amazon launched its movie download service today, beating iTunes by a week.

I hopped over to the site and was thoroughly disappointed. This is not a movie download service. You can download a copy of a movie or TV show, which is supposed to include one "DVD" quality version and another "Transportable" version, supposedly appropriate for portable video players but NOT INCLUDING MY VIDEO iPOD!

The "DVD" quality file can be backed up to a DVD, but NOT PLAYED on a DVD player.

The file can be downloaded and backed up to any number of machines, but CAN ONLY BE PLAYED on the ORIGINAL PC that it was downloaded on.

BTW, the "DVD" quality version is compressed much more than a true DVD copy, and has numerous compression artifacts.

If this is what they think we want, then they still don't get it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?