Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Amazon.com will not load?

by abstraqts / February 10, 2007 2:49 AM PST

A few days ago, I attempted to connect to Amazon.com and failed. It is still going on today. In Opera, it just keeps loading and I do not get an error page. In Internet Explorer 7, I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page" error message. Normally, I can fix most of my computers problems myself, but this is just really strange to me.

I tried:

1. Checking for viruses with NOD32;
2. Checking for adware/spyware with Ad-Aware SE Professional and Spybot.
3. Turning off my computer, disconnecting my Ethernet modem, disconnecting all wires from my Cable company's modem and from my router;
4. Checking for Windows updates and browser updates.

My brother's MacBook displays the website just fine.

Are there any settings that may be preventing me from accessing Amazon.com? Anything that I should be aware of?

I am running Windows XP Home w/ SP2.

Thank you for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Amazon.com will not load?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Amazon.com will not load?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by abstraqts / February 10, 2007 8:55 AM PST

I have also tried Firefox and I get the following error message about one or two seconds after hitting [Enter] to connect to Amazon.com.

"Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

What can cause a particular website to just not allow a computer to connect to it in this manner?

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it if you would share them with me.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Just wait....try later.
by Papa Echo / February 10, 2007 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: .

...could be server problems at Amazon.com. Have you tried a traceroute to the site ? (open up a command prompt and type in tracert www.amazon.com then press "Enter"). See where you are getting a "time out", which may indicate where the route to the site is stuck at. Are you having problems with other sites ? Otherwise, check your firewall to see whether amazon.com is blocked.

Collapse -
by abstraqts / February 10, 2007 1:02 PM PST

I am not having problems with any other sites, at least none of which I am aware of. I also tried a System Restore to last Friday (I know Amazon.com was working then since I ordered a book from them the following day), but it did not help. I also tried disabling my Firewall before I tried to access the site, but that did not work, either.

How do I read these "time-outs"? I have taken a screenshot of the window that you can see below.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c42/Sundu/Random/Tracert.jpg

Collapse -
trace route
by Papa Echo / February 10, 2007 6:11 PM PST

"Destination net unreachable" - You seem to have almost reached amazon.com, but was unable to enter the server. The usual remedy is to "try again later", which, I suppose, is not very helpful.

Try also the ping command (ping www.amazon.com) and see whether the site responds. You would probably get time outs and the "destination net unreachable" error too, or packets lost 100%.

You may also try clearing out the Temperory Internet Files and cookies.

As a last resort, Try lowering your browser's security level. BTW, are you able to reacxh the site with another computer ?

Collapse -
Missing the first IP address.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 9:33 PM PST

There was an issue when the HOST IP address ended in some number like 1 or 254. But I forget which. The tracert was incomplete so I'll just add this note and hope it rings a bell for someone else.

Bob

Collapse -
Try tracert 72.21.206.5 instead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 9:37 PM PST
Collapse -
Wow!
by abstraqts / February 10, 2007 11:18 PM PST

I was able to access the site through that address! How did you do that? And what is it, anyway?

Not only have I tried clearing out the cookies/history, I have also used various cleaning programs to get rid of anything that Opera/IE 7 did not delete.

I can access Amazon through my brother's MacBook (we share the same router, and therefor, the same Internet connection), and my girlfriend can access the site through her PC (we live around the same area, but I do not think that that has to do with anything).

Please keep in mind that this has been going on for nearly a whole week, so I doubt that these are server problems at Amazon.

My IP address does end with a 1, but I have had this IP address for a while, and Amazon worked perfectly fine when I bought a book from them last week.

Thank you for all of your help. Any more ideas?

Collapse -
And...
by abstraqts / February 10, 2007 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: Wow!

Through that link, I can search for products on Amazon and see their price and everything, but I cannot access the actual product page itself (when I click on a product, the same thing happens).

Collapse -
To finish this test, use NSLOOKUP on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: And...

www.amazon.com The number I supplied is both the result of ping and nslookup. If your DNS is not correct, we've found the issue.

Bob

Collapse -
by abstraqts / February 11, 2007 1:30 AM PST

This is the second TRACERT command:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c42/Sundu/Random/Tracert2-1.jpg

This is the NSLOOKUP command:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c42/Sundu/Random/NSLOOKUP.jpg

What is "my DNS," exactly? I remember that word from commands such as IPCONFIG and from setting up my two routers (over a year ago for the first and a few months ago for the second). How do I know if it is incorrect, and if it is incorrect, how do I find out what the correct DNS should be?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
That's one strange DNS. wareout infection.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2007 1:48 AM PST

That www.amazon.com ending in .belkin is a bad sign.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=inhoster&btnG=Google+Search finds other posts too quickly about this.

-> What antispyware and other tools do you use.

As to you obscuring your 192.168.0.1 address or 1.1 address, you should have obscured the real internet address of 10.27.96.1 That's what most would have wanted to hide.

Don't worry, it shows how much you've dug into this. Here's my thought. I'd look into why your DNS is inhoster and why it hands you the .belkin addon.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:yOFYPyqsoZ4J:forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D64727+inhoster+belkin&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us seems to note an infection.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by abstraqts / February 11, 2007 2:21 AM PST

Thank you. I will look into this.

Collapse -
But...
by abstraqts / February 11, 2007 2:34 AM PST

What is my "DNS," and how is it associated with this obscure company called Inhoster? What do you mean by my "DNS is Inhoster"?

Thank you.

Collapse -
According to your posts I'm guessing...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2007 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: But...

Inhoster or a piece of software has HIJACKED your DNS. It's a common issue and a dangerous one. Your DNS should be the one offered by your ISP. Since you don't give the full details (you can if you wish) I'm working with what you do reveal.

What I see is a possible trojan or other infection.

Please kill it fast since such is well known to pilfer information such as credit card information and more.

You'll see much advice in our Security Forum on what tools to use. If this was my machine I'd try Free AVG AntiSpyware and an online virus scan.

Bob

Collapse -
Got it!
by abstraqts / February 11, 2007 3:31 AM PST

I ran Spyware Doctor and it found 72 infections throughout two main groups, one of which was labeled a "DNS changer." It also had the highest possible threat rating as well. Ad-Aware, a few days ago during the infection, found zero threats.

So I ran Spyware Doctor, restarted my computer and connected to Amazon.

Thank you for all of your help. I will go run some other programs to see if they can pick up anything else.

By the way, how can it "collect" credit card information? I do not keep such records on my computer, and only certain sites such as Amazon store them. I also ordered over $200 worth of art supplies from DickBlick.com on Monday evening (during the infection, I think). I put in my credit card information into the site (the site does not store it). Do you think that I may be at risk?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2007 3:34 AM PST

I noted that in my reply that such can collect information. If not directly they hijack the DNS and you end up on a site that looks just like the real thing and they collect it there.

If you need further help in scanning and tools, try our Security Forum.

Bob

Collapse -
by abstraqts / February 11, 2007 4:09 AM PST

Well, I got my delivery yesterday, so at least I know that I put my information into the true site. I am just happy that I got rid of this stuff on my computer.

Thank you.

Collapse -
So am I.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2007 4:12 AM PST

I bet you're surprised at what on the surface looked to be an access problem was really something a bit more dangerous.

Please take my advice and try the Free AVG AntiSpwyare scan.

Bob

Collapse -
I tried it.
by abstraqts / February 11, 2007 5:22 AM PST

I tried the AVG scan, as well as SpySweeper, but it did not find anything else after Spyware Doctor.

Thank you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!