PC Hardware forum

General discussion

AM2+ MOBO with PCIe 2.0 and SLI ?

I currently have an ASUS M2N-E SLI MOBO with an AMD 6000+, 4GB PC8500, and 2 MSI 9600GT 512MB video cards running SLI.

I am looking for a motherboard that will operate in PCIe 16x and 16x, in SLI and be PCIe 2.0 compliant so I can reap the maximum performance and benifits from the cards I currently have.

My current MOBO does SLI 8x + 8x.

I also want HT 3.0, for the memory, FSB speed and CPU perfomance improvements.

ASUS has a great board out:

It has DDR2, HT 3.0, SLI 16x + 16X, and PCIe 2.0, but it is Crossfire certified and warns about SLI video cards with NVIDIA chipsets.

When or if can we expect an AMD supporting MOBO that has these features.

Any ideas or recomendations would be appreciated.

AMD 6000+ AM2
4 GB (2x2048) PC8500 DDR2-800
4x 750 GB Hitachi Deststar 32mb, Raid 0+1
Asus M2N-E SLI
2x MSI 9600GT 512mbOC
Asus 20x multi format lightscribe DVD drive
Thermal take toughpower modular 750 W PSU
Thermaltake A1 CPU cooler
Coolermaster RC-1000 case
28" Hanns-G 282 LCD Monitor
Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Thanks for any help,
dunnman99@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AM2+ MOBO with PCIe 2.0 and SLI ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AM2+ MOBO with PCIe 2.0 and SLI ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
go for nForce 680

In reply to: AM2+ MOBO with PCIe 2.0 and SLI ?

if you want SLI and AM2, should provide you with 2 x16 slots and the appropriate bandwidth

HOWEVER
before I go any further into that thought
let me clarify some things:

A) you get ZERO performance benefit from PCIE 2.0 vs PCIE

B) you get about 4% performance benefit @ maximum operational resolution (only) with PCIE x16 x2 vs PCIE x8 x2

sorry to sound like a naysayer, but theres buckets of data to justify everything I've just said, so honestly I wouldn't be too worried about it (unless you're gaming at 2560x1600, and you'd see bigger changes if you changed your video cards or removed the SLI bridge, than if you went to 2x16 vs 2x8)

honestly I'd just stick with what you have, Phenom should actually work in your board, but it might require a BIOS update, as far as the Asus board you're eyeing (guessing its AMD 790FX based) it wont support SLI, it'll only support CrossFire

as far as AM2+ compatable mobos that run SLI, nVidia has their 7 series chipsets in the works (already released for Intel) and they should release soon-ish for the AM2+ platform, they'll provide good improvements over the 680, but not due to the extra PCIe bandwidth (more due to other features, like a refined storage controller, improved networking/audio controllers, etc)

Collapse -
Thank you for info

In reply to: go for nForce 680

Yes, I am only running at 1900x1200 for the resolutions.

And I game at the same resolutions.

I guess I'll stick to what I have for now.

Thank you

Collapse -
that is somewhat high res

In reply to: Thank you for info

to run at 1920x1200, however if your games are playable at this resolution I'd just stick to what you've got

as far as the performance "gains" of going to something like that Asus board, but with SLI support, you probably wouldn't see anything (if you ran some really specialized benchmarks on a few select features you might see a little bit of gain, but nothing that really translates to real world use)

now, if you want to kick your games into gear performance wise, consider upgrading your graphics cards or processor (not saying you need to, saying either of those would kick the performance up)

like a pair of 8800GT's or 8800GTS' (the G92 editions) would give you a dramatic improvement, just like upgrading to a 6400+ or Phenom 9600 (or the unreleased 9700/9900 series chips) would give a dramatic improvement as well, although if your games are running fine, why spend the money?

Collapse -
Interesting...

In reply to: AM2+ MOBO with PCIe 2.0 and SLI ?

I have two EVGA 9800GTX+ running SLI on a GIGABYTE GA-M59SLI-S5 mobo with 6000 chip. And I am curious if upgrading to a motherboard with PCI-E 2.0 will make a difference. I am looking at the XFX 750A SLI board but it is 16x8x8.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.