HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

Question

AM I worth what I am making?

by 10yearitguy / February 22, 2014 10:57 PM PST

I have been in IT now for 10 years, I have a few certifications from Microsoft. I have worked with everything from desktop support from Windows 98 to Windows 8.1, server support, VMware, Citrix, networking, etc.

However, I can't seem to get a salary above $40K a year, I am in Canada, what am I doing wrong?

I feel that after 10 years and with my experience, I should be making more money...

Should I switch my career to Linux admin or rogramming, or stick with Microsoft administration.

I just started a new job at $38000 a year, after 3 months it goes up to $40, then after I get 2012 MS certifications as enterprise admin, it goes up to $43.

But I would like to be making closer to 60-70K a year, what do I have to do to geth there?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AM I worth what I am making?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AM I worth what I am making?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I feel nothing wrong here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 11:18 PM PST

It's a side effect of market forces. At our office we have no IT staff because we are a bunch of programmers that are well seasoned. We can step aside to let Joe, Jane or Robby to do what is needed and move forward. So in our size endeavor you would need to do more than the usual IT staffer.

There's also the issue of many folk that went for the IT career so a glut of folk to do that work. This will depress the wages. Fix? Do more than IT.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Its an employers world now
by Willy / February 23, 2014 1:08 AM PST

Excluding any high density area of IT or super needs, typical IT people do what is offered and hope for more. In other words make yourself as capable as possible and make it known that you're more than a certain level. If you're on the h/w side of things that's going as far as anyone can be, but once on the s/w side those weenies can use more of the grey matter to get the job done. It's not that any IT aren't capable, but overall IT has been pushed as the job area to be at. A glut of IT people is typical now and many do enter the market take less or offered less and as I posted, the employer has the say in much of this. You'll find more is being asked of less IT people than ever before maybe even outsourced, so take it all with a a grain of salt. Get what you can from some employer and use advanced certificates or learning you can recoup costs or garner from and use it for the next job or not. Understand from what I've learned, *ALL jobs are temporary* you can be let go anytime. You may find having a job and security is better than getting more $Can.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Interesting responses, Thank You...
by 10yearitguy / February 23, 2014 2:07 AM PST

Partly the reason I need to earn more than 38-45K / year is because I have a wife & 2 kids, soon to be 3, to support, my wife lost her job recently, and doing it on my salary alone is hard....

I would like more clarification on do more than IT...as I have been thinking of getting into programming.

Money means more to me than job security right now, for this reason I have been looking at contract work which seems to pay more.

But my wife prefers a more stable job for me, so I don't mind, but would like the salary to match.

SO I am thinking of rogramming.

Thanks for the great advice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.