TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Am I the only one bummed by the demise of CRTs?

After experiencing the best that CRTs have to offer in black level, color accuracy, saturation etc., basically overall picture quality and realism, I'm disappointed with the take over of flat panel TVs.

Even flat panels that are $5K don't have the same picture quality as say a $2K Sony KD-34XBR960 CRT. And there is practically no choice if one wants to buy a 16:9 CRT. This forces one to look at flat panels and the prices are outrageous even for a small sized screen, and the picture quality isn't realistic looking like on a CRT.

This is a horrible time to need to buy a new television!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Am I the only one bummed by the demise of CRTs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Am I the only one bummed by the demise of CRTs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep...

In reply to: Am I the only one bummed by the demise of CRTs?

The problem is that HD is the motivation to have larger consumer TVs for HT rooms. There just isn't a way to make a 50" to 72" CRT. We'd need a crane to install the TV. As far as I'm concerned, I only miss my CRT when I'm watching SD material. When I'm watching HDNET, DiscoveryHD and the like, my flat panel is stunning. So, I'm embracing the new HDTV technology with the hope that crummy SD material will be a thing of the past soon. If we keep technology at a stand-still just allow SD material to be properly displayed, we'll never advance.

Collapse -
NO!!!!! Your NOT.

I have a CRT-RP and CRT direct view HDTVs. I got them before there were gone. I have 25 years of SD video(VHS and Laser Disk)to watch.
The HD is excellent on both and the SD looks VERY good.
This forum gets hundreds of posts complaining about SD picture quality on most of the HDTVs and asking what can be done about it.
Sadly if the HDTV set that was purchased dose a poor job of upscalling they are stuck and learn to live with it, get a stand alone upscaller, an upscaling DVD player and hope it dose a better job than HDTV or take it back and get a different HDTV. John

Collapse -
Flat panel HDTV is just sales hype

I must agree with you about the superior picture quality of the HD CRT which is above all that hype for flat panel junk. I have a Sony KD-34XRB960 which has 1400 horizontal lines of resolution with a display quality that is far better at 420p then what I see on many of the flat panel HDTVs. I am like Stewart Norrie and visit the electronic stores frequently in hopes of seeing some kind of improvement equal to or better then what my CRT displays. Haven?t seen any yet.

The only put down that the flat panel group use, is about the CRTs physical size and weight. That is no problem for me as I have no need to pick up my TV and walk around with it under my arm.

Marc

Collapse -
Flat Panel Junk needs time to improve

Have you noticed that there has been no replies to comprehend the quality of HD CRT TVs. Its no surprise to me if you take into account the problems of plasma & LCD HDTV. Such as lamps to increase luminance that burn out and need to be replace at a high price, or color wheels to give better display with motors that burn out, or the need for high priced calibration to get a better display. just to name a few. I guess if I dumped big bucks into the flat panel stuff it would be difficult for me to admit its just junk that needs a few more years to progress to better tech design.

Unfortunate as it may be big is better so the hype tells us.

Marc

Collapse -
MR JTO more on c.r.t.

I will agree small screen c.r.t s were awsome.. But I owned a 3 tube 65" rear projector Sony The picture was fair BUT you could never get it bright enough and it needed calibration all the time I truly love me old d.l.p. set razor sharp tons of brightness and I never have to adjut it always perfect steweeee

Collapse -
Stewee's 3-tube CRT

In reply to: MR JTO more on c.r.t.

Stewee,

Technically your old "CRT" is like my Toshiba 50" RPTV...it's not CRT, it's rear projection. CRT stands for Cathode Ray Tube. Your old Sony did not have a Cathode Ray Tube, it had a red, green and blue lamp inside. CRT is commonly used for anything that uses RGB color projection lamps.

Back to this issue...To me, size has been the determining factor for flat screens. Marc, I agree that your CRT has a superior picture with less problems associated with it, but many of us are doing the "Home Theater" thing where we sit 10 to 15 feet from our TV (like me) and a 32" or 36" screen looks like a postage stamp. Moving a TV is only part of the equation. Having a screen large enough to evoke a Home Theater experience is the more important part of the equation.

Collapse -
DAN THE MAN HAPPY NEW YEAR

In reply to: Stewee's 3-tube CRT

To me even a 60" display looks like a postage stamp ha ha My opinion only but when I view a small screen its like you have to squint your eyes to see the small detial, and the viewing experience is that you are watching a t.v. but with my 72" beast and 9 ft. from the screen you get the feeling of being in the sweet spot at the theater Anyway after a year of hard use the old Toshiba stiil looks awsome no problems and I really care less about the lamp hay you dont see 73" plasma sets that are affordable steweeeee

Collapse -
"it had a red, green and blue lamp inside"????????

In reply to: Stewee's 3-tube CRT

Just some FYI: CRT-RP TVs have 3 monochrome CRTs in them, one for each color RGB. There are true CRTs, not lamps!
Most of us have seen the big 3 CRT data projectors in conference rooms over the years, 3 CRTs RGB. A CRT-RP TV has one of those inside and mirror to reflect the image on to the screen. John

Collapse -
CRT info

In reply to: "it had a red, green and blue lamp inside"????????

John,

Thanks for the info on CRTs. I thought "CRT" stood for cathode ray tube, as is used in the tube TVs.

Collapse -
Well it dose!

In reply to: CRT info

CRTs can be monochrome(B&W) or any single color, can also be RGB as used in color TVs.
A direct view CRT color TV has a RGB tube with 3 cathode "guns" and 3 different colors (RGB) of phosphors. The trick is to get RED electron stream to hit only the RED phosphors, etc.
A RP-CRT has 3 CRT tubes for RGB. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.