Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Am I just getting old and cranky or does Florida,

by Ziks511 / July 11, 2005 5:52 AM PDT

currently the Hurricane capitol of the US, need a new building code. It's not as if these storms are a surprise or anything, they've been happening for a number of years now with no sign of letting up. Why allow building in low areas, and lightweight construction when it's a certainty that it's going to be blown away, that the Federal government is going to have to bail things out and that insurers are going to pass the costs on to the rest of us? Same thing on the Mississipi flood plain. The damn river isn't going to dry up, it's just going to go anywhere it damn well pleases. If necessary create a small rise on which to re-build, but don't keep putting the house where grandpa put it if it's been flooded 3 times already. Surely there's enough concrete rubble from demolition to help with the change in elevation.

Just my opinion.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Am I just getting old and cranky or does Florida,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Am I just getting old and cranky or does Florida,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In answer to your question
by MKay / July 11, 2005 6:01 AM PDT

Yes!!! :-)But actually you have a good point...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL, The truth hurts.
by Ziks511 / July 11, 2005 8:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
As far as I know, Florida does not allow light weight
by Kiddpeat / July 11, 2005 6:13 AM PDT

construction. It is far more reinforced than construction in Chicago.

As far as flood plains are concerned, I think there are restrictions in place. You do need special insurance if you live on a flood plain. I've heard more about things like building on the beach over and over again. Lots of areas in California repeatedly build in risky areas like beaches and hills.

Collapse -
Yeah, I'm incredibly grateful not to have to live in an area
by Ziks511 / July 11, 2005 8:19 AM PDT

at risk like that. Didn't know that about building codes though, I remember seeing mobile home parks on the news (not this time) that were ravaged by hurricane Andrew and wondering who would put a trailer park in an area prone to hurricanes.

Rob

Collapse -
If mobile homes are still allowed, I'ld guess there's not
by Kiddpeat / July 11, 2005 8:44 AM PDT

much you can do with them. They are more like sails than structures.

Collapse -
I've wondered the same thing.....
by Josh K / July 11, 2005 6:19 AM PDT

....when seeing those houses on stilts off the Outer Banks of NC, or on a cliffside in California. Um....hello.....EARTHQUAKES.

I'd be afraid to be in my own home.

Collapse -
How about downtown San Francisco? I've heard the
by Kiddpeat / July 11, 2005 8:46 AM PDT

next 'big one' there will have a tremendous casualty count on top of huge damages.

Collapse -
Mine.
by Angeline Booher / July 11, 2005 6:27 AM PDT

When Andrew hit, the houses that survived were the ones built by Habitital for Humanity, all built to more current codes.

In my area there are houses built before codes were even a glimmer in the eyes of the city fathers. I reckon the earlier people were a hardy group who were used to hardships, as well. I'm not even sure if there was such a thing as homeowners insurance.

I get a little grumpy about people who build on a flood plain by a river, and keep getting flooded.

However, that is not true of all who live near a river. There was a flood here in the early 70's- the first since records had been kept for a hundred years or more.

One thing that happens is construction, roads, and tree-cutting upstream. Those change the flood plain through no fault of those downstream.

On the other hand, if someone builds on a flood plain, that is the fault of the city or county government that grants the permit. In my area there are places where no building is permitted.

Coast-lines are beautiful places to live , wherever they are. Until more recently, chances were fairly slim they would be hit by devastating storms very often. But the weather patterns seem to be changing. Perhaps it is from increased construction and industry in Africa, from where the hurricanes come to our East and Gulf Coasts. If memory serves, northeastern Canada suffers from storms as those low pressures spin all the way up the coastlines.

To be fair to the Floridians, what causes the most damage are the tornados that are spawned. Now, tornados occur in many areas of the US, including mine. There was one here in about 1998. Our mid-West is famous for them, but recently there was one in California.

A hurricane does not come as a surprise. Tornados do.

California and Alaska are known for earthquakes. Yet I live near a major fault line. What got Anchorage on that Easter Sunday was the earth liquefying.

I guess we all take a chance with something down here below the border.

A good homeowners policy here covers all hazards except for flood, war, and intentional damage. Flood insurance is bought through the federal government, the costs based on the risks, and the value of the home.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Speaking of major fault lines....
by Josh K / July 11, 2005 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine.

....lots of people don't know that there's a biggun running across Manhattan at around 125th Street. There's a steep hill going down towards 125th and another going back up a few blocks further up. The #1 train comes out from underground, the 125th Street station is elevated, and then the train goes back underground. But the train is going in a straight line; the ground is going down and then up.

Question about tornadoes: How exactly do they know precisely where all the trailer parks are?

Devil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Must be some magnetic properties involved. ;-)
by Cindi Haynes / July 11, 2005 7:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's why they call them "mobile homes"
by Lit'l Sasquatch / July 11, 2005 8:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Reply to your question:
by Paul C / July 12, 2005 10:36 AM PDT
Question about tornadoes: How exactly do they know precisely where all the trailer parks are?

Answer: Manufactured housing is apparently not part of God's plan for humanity... Devil
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Neither were clothes.
by James Denison / July 12, 2005 10:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Tornadoes and Trailer Parks
by James Denison / July 12, 2005 10:58 AM PDT

They are attracted it seems to cheap beer and loud music, and it gives them a place to flex their muscles and look more macho than they might by hitting the brick and mortar constructions.

Collapse -
My understanding ...
by Evie / July 12, 2005 10:07 PM PDT

... is that areas that have been REBUILT HAVE been done so under a much stricter building code. I don't see any way to update existing structures unless you're going to condemn a whole lot of homes and devastate the economy more than any hurricane ever could! Most of Fla hurricane damage seems to be from things flying around and not as much from flooding.

However FEMA shouldn't be a welfare program to subsidize living in Florida. Property owners ought to fund their own disaster insurance. Upgrades would be incentivized by the insurance companies, and the Fed would do better to incentivise them with tax breaks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.