HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Am I getting the speed I should be?

by AndrewXtreme / September 6, 2008 12:19 PM PDT

I did an online speed test of my connection speed and wanted to know if I was getting what i'm paying for. We have 100.0 mbps.
Here's the results of the speed test
download 6504
upload 476

p.s. why is it i can download a song in under 30 seconds but searching online is still slow sometimes (pictures mostly, youtube vids slow). thanks guys

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Am I getting the speed I should be?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Am I getting the speed I should be?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the lag is
by mementh / September 6, 2008 2:58 PM PDT

the lag your getting is from the sites, your pipes big enough, i would not worry too much.. very few sites can saturate your bandwidth

Collapse -
Your 100 Mb/s is your LAN speed . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 6, 2008 10:51 PM PDT

What is your ISP's advertised speed? Just looking at your results, it looks like you have 6 Meg down and about 400K up. Does this track with what your ISP says you should get?

Collapse -
by AndrewXtreme / September 7, 2008 10:37 AM PDT

um, i dunno. how would do I found out the advertised speed? whats LAN speed? thanks

Collapse -
Who is your provider?
by Coryphaeus / September 7, 2008 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

Call and ask them.

LAN (Local Area Network) is the connection between the modem and the PC. Standard LAN speed is 100 Mb/s. This is what shows if you mouse over the connection icon in the System Tray.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.