Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Aluminum PowerBook G4 Keyboard Fault

by foxyboy / December 3, 2007 2:23 AM PST

Not sure what happened as its not my powerbook I think it may have been dropped a few times but the OS is fine. Anyway from the front to where they keyboard starts (including the touch pad) has kind of bent upward. I can see all the orange wires and they look all connected (mite not be) but when the laptop is on they keyboard will no longer work, (having to use a USB keyboard
Any ideas what it could be? Loose connection? hardware fault or software fault, but all other hardware and osx are fine.

Thanks
MF

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aluminum PowerBook G4 Keyboard Fault
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aluminum PowerBook G4 Keyboard Fault
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Others
by foxyboy / December 3, 2007 2:28 AM PST

Just a few other things I should mention
OSX Tiger
15"
80GB

Thanks
MF

Collapse -
"not my powerbook" = why is this your problem?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 2:28 AM PST

While it likely can be fixed since there are all of two parts involved (keyboard and mainboard) the weird thing is that since it's not yours why would you fix it?

Just wondering.

Bob

Collapse -
For a freind
by foxyboy / December 3, 2007 2:31 AM PST

Just helping out a friend who isn?t to good when it comes to computers.

Also wondering if there is anything I should know or do before taking the casing off.

MF

Collapse -
Will they still be your friend?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: For a freind

I don't like fixing my friend's computers that have suffered such damage since the unit could decide to turn into a brick just by removing the case. It's suffered some hard times but still works. Until you are sure they are OK with getting a brick back I'd leave it alone.

Plus if you do, why open it unless you have the spare parts to put in?

Bob

Collapse -
Good point
by foxyboy / December 3, 2007 2:47 AM PST

Really just to check if anything was loose, but if its risky,I'l leave it, unless he decides he is going to buy a new one. He is holding the front together with tape at the moment, any ideas how to bend the front panel back into place? When I had a look there were lots of small round marks round the edge but could not see any screws missing.

Thanks
MF

Collapse -
Metal work is metal work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 2:57 AM PST
In reply to: Good point

There is no magic there but I use a body shop down the road and they do amazing work. I'm not so good at that.

-> For me I would be hitting Ebay to see if I could scrounge up a not so bent up case.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by foxyboy / December 3, 2007 3:03 AM PST

I will have to get him on ebay befor he gets the old hammer out,
Thanks for all your help.

MF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.