Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Alternative to a weapon in the house

by JP Bill / March 15, 2005 10:30 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alternative to a weapon in the house
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alternative to a weapon in the house
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
and if you live in an apt i guess
by Mark5019 / March 15, 2005 10:34 PM PST

and i guess ots to heavy to carry concealed while im out at the store, or working at a customers home is it mobile?

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / March 15, 2005 10:44 PM PST
i guess ots to heavy to carry concealed while im out at the store

Yes it would be to heavy for a normal person to carry, and I don't think you could conceal it, as you are already trying to conceal your weapon. It's for when you are at home, and according to the article they can make secure closets, so I guess they could put one in an apartment.

working at a customers home is it mobile?

Are your customers in a war zone?

I guess you could get an armoured vehicle, and have the customer bring their computer to you when you park your armoured vehicle in their yard.
Collapse -
ok jp you have your closet ill stick to my rights
by Mark5019 / March 15, 2005 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: Response

to carry my lisenced gun.

Collapse -
Hey Bro,I just take the Trunk Monkey.............
by Tony Holmes / March 16, 2005 8:12 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol to much must work for bannanas huh?
by Mark5019 / March 16, 2005 8:36 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Now THAT's FUNNY. Thanks Tony.
by Ziks511 / March 17, 2005 11:34 PM PST
Collapse -
A safe room is indeed nice...
by Edward ODaniel / March 16, 2005 2:46 AM PST

but if I was a criminal and thought that you could identify me and was in a homicidal mood we would simply have a COOK OUT -- you in the "safe room" (AKA oven) could be the entree.

A fireproof "safe room" would be an impossibility for MOST homeowners and practically ALL appartment dwellers.

Like everything other form of security personal security is comprised of a wide assortment of variables. Many of us like the additional insurance of a mobile defense--a firearm offers this.

Collapse -
Also, if you wake up in the middle of the night
by EdH / March 16, 2005 3:10 AM PST

to your kid screaming because there's an intruder in his/her room, what good is the safe room gonna do you?

Collapse -
About as much good as....
by Josh K / March 16, 2005 3:14 AM PST

....that gun you have locked in a safe up in a closet somewhere. You wouldn't be able to get to either.

Collapse -
ok josh take your head out of the sand
by Mark5019 / March 16, 2005 3:17 AM PST

theres gun safes like i used with my kids 1 touch on the right combo it slide out.

you and dk, and jp go bore the intruder to death.

i just hope you never have to face an intruder i feel sorry for your famially.

Collapse -
you realize
by Egg Fu Young / March 16, 2005 9:31 AM PST

that you are the exception mark? most people in the industralisd world do not have guns. we are the normal people and you are the strange ones.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Egg Fu Young is NORMAL???? LOL
by Glenda / March 16, 2005 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: you realize
Collapse -
normal compared to what ?
by Mark5019 / March 16, 2005 9:36 AM PST

i personally think its names offensive to Orientals

im supprised the pc crowd hasnt said anything yet

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) diverting the attention?
by Egg Fu Young / March 16, 2005 9:38 AM PST
Collapse -
no
by Egg Fu Young / March 16, 2005 9:37 AM PST

but we dont talk about the names or nicknames. we talked about owning guns (hunters are an exeption) and in that i am normal.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ok and you can prove this?
by Mark5019 / March 16, 2005 9:42 AM PST
Collapse -
still waiting on your links
by Mark5019 / March 17, 2005 2:08 AM PST

as your unfounded stements are just that un founded

Collapse -
A suggestion Josh...
by Edward ODaniel / March 16, 2005 3:25 AM PST

Go to any reputable firearms dealer who also has some gun safes and take a look at some.

While the cheaper combination locks versions are what you seem to visualize you just might get a better understanding if confronted with the quick access versions. From locked container to firing position in less than 5 seconds is a capability that may surprise you.

Collapse -
Interesting
by Josh K / March 16, 2005 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: A suggestion Josh...

I didn't know about those. Other than them having a combination, how kiddie-proof are they?

Collapse -
Depends...
by Edward ODaniel / March 16, 2005 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting

they are mostly not only "kiddie proof" but adult proof too unless you opt for the types available that depend on either strength or digital length and dexterity. Some of those types are not suitable for adults with small hands or disabilities.

There are MANY options available.

I have a carry holster that requires a finger longer than 2 inches to release the revolver (and no, it can't be easily defeated with a stick).

Collapse -
Thanks
by Josh K / March 16, 2005 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: Depends...

We're planning a move to a "Red" state so I may find myself learning more about this stuff than I want to know, LOL.

Collapse -
Josh, you might consider a "wall" style safe.
by MarkatNite / March 16, 2005 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Mount a picture in front of it so that the child doesn't know the safe is there. If/when the child learns of it, s/he must still be able to reach it. Then once they are able to reach it, they must still be able to open it.

By the time they can do all of that, the child should've been taught gun safety.

And pulling a picture down won't cost you much time in an emergency.

Mark

Collapse -
We have one of those now
by Josh K / March 16, 2005 10:49 PM PST

But it's not in the bedroom. It would be hard to get to quickly in an emergency.

I've never owned a gun and so far, so good.

Collapse -
good to hear
by Egg Fu Young / March 17, 2005 1:45 AM PST

as long as most people around you dont have guns i would feel save.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you just feel victim
by Mark5019 / March 17, 2005 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: good to hear
Collapse -
i stil prefere to be around people.
by Egg Fu Young / March 17, 2005 11:18 AM PST

i still prefere to be around people without firearms. i simple feel safer with no arms around me. and you? you feel safer when people around you have firearms?

Collapse -
and when a stranger decides to rob you
by Mark5019 / March 17, 2005 11:37 AM PST

do you just hand over your money or when a bunch thugs on drugs try to hurt your friends what do you do?

and id rather have it and not need it than need it and be dead.

Collapse -
if they dont have gins
by Egg Fu Young / March 17, 2005 1:27 PM PST

if htey dont have guns, why would i need one? and how about fixing the real problem and not the symtom? you dont take aspirinie for tooth ache.

Collapse -
ok
by Mark5019 / March 17, 2005 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: if they dont have gins

they have weapons nm what if your atacking me im gonna do all i can to protect myself, and if that means useing leathal force so be it.

and till i get to a dentist yes people do you asperin.

and tell us how you would fix the problem now since you must be the person that can do it.

but till you do the law abideing people will carry there guns.

remember knock 1st and ask to come in never know whos on the other side of the door might just be me:D

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?