Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Alternate Configuration?

by tbfoster1 / March 14, 2008 11:45 PM PDT

Hi,

I have a home network with 3 laptops, 2 desktops and a PS3. I've been using the DHCP from the router for some time now but I want to configure Static IPs for my network and get rid of the DHCP pool in case someone makes it through my security.

My question is that 2 of my laptops are used at work and I want to set up an Alternate configuration for home. 1st. If I set up an Alternate Configuration with a static IP will the user be able to connect to my router seemlessly or would the user have to do some clicking to connect? (The user on this machine is not computer savvy, so the easier the better)

2nd. One of the laptops is a MAC. Does that have the option for an alternate configuration? If it doesn't then I'm won't bother. I ask this instead of clicking around myself because the less clicking I have to do on a MAC the better chance my sanity will remain in tact.
(If it does have this option question 1 applies here as well. Will it automatically connect without clicking?)

Also both laptops use Dynamic IPs at work.

While I want to do this for added security, I can't imagine someone spending the time to go through the security I do have to get into a home network, especially since Network Stumbler shows a couple of unsecured networks around me. I guess this is more for fun than anything but it certainly can't hurt.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alternate Configuration?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alternate Configuration?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just so you know
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 11:46 PM PDT

There is no ready exploit for WPA. There are big reasons to leave SSID broadcasting. Why work so hard when you can be secure?

Collapse -
re: just so you know
by tbfoster1 / March 14, 2008 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know

I have WEP right now, which I know can be cracked easily, but I plan to upgrade that as well. I've been lazy because I'm not sure if the MAC supports it and as I said above MACs pretty much drive me to the brink of insanity so I kind of avoid it like the plague. (It took me an hour to add a shared printer from the network to the MAC)

What are the big reasons to leave the SSID broadcasting? I always thought you were supposed to disable that.

The reason I'm working so hard is more for the learning experience than anything.

Collapse -
WEP is dead and even with assigning IPs, WEP is dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: re: just so you know

Let's say you assign IPs, disable broadcast, use WEP and filter MAC addresses.

The kiddy exploit will still let that person use your network.

What more needs to be written?

In regards to SSID broadcasting. Some devices can't join plus given the new exploit tools they don't rely on this.
Bob

Collapse -
re: WEP is dead
by tbfoster1 / March 15, 2008 12:09 AM PDT

Yeah I have all those things you mentioned as security. When you say "kiddy exploit" that leads me to believe my security is easier to crack than I thought. I knew it was crackable but I figured it might be too much of a pain to bother with. It sounds like its not a pain at all I guess.

I'll fix that today...Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!