TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Already have DISH and want to go to HD

I have had DISH for a couple of years and I am pleased. I am considering moving to the HD world and and looking at both DISH and DTV. With DISH, I will need to get a new receiver and have to pay 100 (go figure) What really gets me is if I want an HD receiver with DVR, I will need to buy it ($700+). I was wondering if I set up one TV with the HD receiver and a second on with the DVR, can the two receiver talk with each other of is the only way to get both HD and DVR to purchase the receiver? Neither company is giving me much of a reason to select them.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Already have DISH and want to go to HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Already have DISH and want to go to HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My Dish solution

In reply to: Already have DISH and want to go to HD

I had pretty much the same problem as you with my HD Plasma. I already had Dishnetwork with a PVR and did not want to give up the DVR capability. I had purchased all my equipment and did not want to buy an HD receiver because I was afraid I would be stuck with old technology.

My solution was to keep the PVR and lease a HD receiver. I called up Dish and they set it up. I leased the 811 receiver without DVR and paid the extra 5 bucks per month lease fee. They charged me 50 dollars hookup and gave me the HD package at 1/2 price for a year. I have both receivers hooked to different inputs on the TV. Of course I can only record in standard def, but I can watch one show and record another now. The 811 will decode off the air HD channels and put them right in your channel guide for easy access. When the HD DVR come down in price, I will buy one and return the leased receiver.

Collapse -
dish 811 hi-def heaven

In reply to: My Dish solution

I have 3 dishes, 40 ft. outside antenns and a f.m. antenna on my roof So for $45.00 I have basic+ h.d. + VOOM and 9 over the air hi-def loacl channels and I love my dish. The only problem I had was when DISH installed my 811 they used componit vidio cables So the next day I bought a DENON 2910 d.v.d. player and a Giffen d.v.i. switcher, Now my hi-def and d.v.d player look stunning good luck please reply to stewart norrie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.