General discussion

ALPS Touchpad Problem on Sony VAIO

Since acquiring my Sony Model VCPEB13FX Laptop I have had a series of issues with the touchpad. These including erradic cursor movements and mouse buttons (particularly the left) not working. Sony has advised me to reinstall the driver which I have on multiple occaisions and that may or may not give some temporary relief. What happens now is that I want to left click and I cannot. I can move the cursor. The item to be clicked on appears to be responsive but I cannpt click on it. Sometimes right clicking and then left clicking will work. Sony has replaced the motherboard once and this did not correct the issue. Anyone else had similar experiences? BTW have scanned for malware, viruses etc and nothing is found.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ALPS Touchpad Problem on Sony VAIO
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ALPS Touchpad Problem on Sony VAIO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Same problem

I just got a Sony VAIO VPCEB32FM and have the same issue: left click is completely unresponsive. When I check the driver options, it tells me that I have the most up to date driver. If I find a solution I will report it here!

- Collapse -
I gotta ask.

Since you just got it, wouldn't you run right back to the store and exchange it to avoid having to call it in for repair?

- Collapse -
Rather not...

First, I hate the hassle of running back to the store and making exchanges if I can fix them myself. Truth be told, I'm not too fond of touch pads and I keep a nano blue tooth mouse in hand. However, if there is something wrong with my lappy I like to fix it if I can. Second, I already spent a lot of time transferring files from my old computer, another deterrent to making an exchange.

- Collapse -
This can't end well.

If it goes back to the maker for repair they usually wipe the drive even when the owners plead for them to not wipe the drive.

Hope you have a good backup plan.
Bob

- Collapse -
Alps touchpad problem VGN-NW240F Sony Laptop

I have experienced the same problem. I have had the computer just over a year.

The first problem I had was with the keyboard. One day there were a few keys that just stopped working and Sony replaced the keyboard.

Now, I am having the same problem that you mention with the Alps touchpad. The left click button does not work. Sounds like some type of defect if this has happened on more than one laptop. I spoke to Sony customer service and they are telling me to spend $200.00 to fix it. I am very displeased with this laptop in terms of the problems with the hardware.

Thanks for posting your comments.

- Collapse -
If you don't replace your own parts.

Or keep it under warranty my suggestion is to get a mouse.

Buttons and switches do age and wear out.
Bob

- Collapse -
Buttons and switches do age and wear out

Exactly, especially with poor quality control and typically right after a warranty expires Wink

I find if I wait to buy something, after a year or so, I can make better judgments on what is stable, and (unfortunately) by the misfortunes of others.

Of course, looking up recalls is always good...

http://esupport.sony.com/US/f1cw2update

You never know when something you own will be listed.

I have had 3 Sony requests for me to look at, all the same issue, touch pad not working, two under warranty one not, either way, Sony needs chew on these defects a bit but unlikely they will.

- Collapse -
Have you found a fix

Hi I have the very same problem with my VCPEB. Touchpad goes erratically when trying to move the cursor to a certain icon. I had Sony send Technicians 3 different times and still a no go. The same Tech came out all 3 times and the 3rd time he mentioned something about my Power Supply Unit (PSU). He said the touchpad is very sensitive and if the PSU is next to it the magnetic levels get all whacked and messes up the Touchpad. Try keeping the PSU away from the laptop as far as possible. This actually did the trick for me but when I unplug my laptop then plug it back in when the batterys drained for some reason it still acts erratically no matter how far the PSU is. Still working on the issue. Sony wants me to send in my laptop now and I dont want to cause there going to wipe the hard drive and Im not for that at all. If you have a fix please let me know thanks.

- Collapse -
I see a danger sign.

Did you tell us that you don't have a backup of what you can't lose?

Time to fix that.

- Collapse -
fixed my issue

Just wanted to chime in and say that I was having an issue with a Sony Vaio VGN N325E, and didn't realize a magnet nearby was causing it to stop working. Thanks so much. Happy

- Collapse -
Power Suply AC adapter charger, erratic Touchpad Sony VAIO

My Sony Vaio VGN-FW160E workin on Windows Vista didn't have any problems with the touchpad, until I bought and extra AC Adapter (Replacement) for my office to avoid carrying with it... I thought my office was haunted because the Touchpad was erratic only in my office and not at home. So it was easy for me to realize that it was a problem with the Power supply of the replacement AC adapter. The best way to test is: With a fully charged battery (and the AC adapter not connected) try the using it to verify how it works....

- Collapse -
Same happened,have solution

Since the time I bought replacement sony vaio adapter,i got the same problem from two adapter i bought.
Have you found any solution for it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info