Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Android forum

Question

Alon Solomon: Problem in storage area

by alonsolomon / March 9, 2015 5:30 PM PDT

Hi all, myself Alon Solomon, I have a micromax android phone having almost all the features. I have the 4 gb of internal storage, and it is almost filled but, but I also have the 16 gb of external storage, where about 5 gb of storage space is left and default memory location is also to the external storage, but whenever I am downloading a new app from google play store, there are insufficient memory space showing. What to do to install the required apps into my phone?

Regards,
Alon Solomon

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Remember
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2015 12:25 AM PDT

You're asking a question with prior discussions so I'll keep it short.

To date Android has yet to offer a method to install apps to external memory directly.
Not only that but in newer versions the move to SD Card was removed.

There are folk that can't accept the thousands of prior posts on this question and get really upset. Not much you can do for them.

If you are unlikely to have such a phone then you know to keep it as clean as you can and learn that next time you want more internal storage.
Bob

Collapse -
Not the solution
by alonsolomon / March 11, 2015 7:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Remember

Thanks Bob, for your answer, that means you want to say that, instead of having external memory space, I still have to make my internal memory clear to install new app?

Alon Solomon

Collapse -
Not the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2015 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Not the solution

I noted you asked a question that has been asked many times. I kept it short but you guessed it.

I can't guess why folk are so put off by how this works. Or they flame on about how it works. Some really lose it and well, so far you need internal memory to install the app. If you use the Google Play Store, you need internal memory for the download as well.

Again, so well done a discussion that I may upset those that want to go over again.
Bob

Collapse -
Alon Solomon: Problem in storage area
by alonsolomon / March 29, 2015 7:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Not the answer.

Hi Bob,
I can't understand what you are trying to tell specifically Are you telling me to upgrade my internal storage? But how can I do it myself? Its a preinstalled feature which can't be changed again....

Thanks,
Alon Solomon

Collapse -
Re: problem in storage area
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 29, 2015 7:59 PM PDT

What Bob said that you can only install a limited amount of apps if your phone has a limited amount of internal storage. It's your choice what apps to remove and what apps to install. And it's your choice to buy a phone with more storage if you want to install more apps.

Kees

Collapse -
Understood
by alonsolomon / March 29, 2015 8:33 PM PDT

It is very problematic, sometimes you need many apps to fulfill your needs but just for the internal memory issue I can't!! So strange.

I think the option must be provided by phone to store an app in secondary storage directly. Anyways thanks to both of you.

Regards,
Alon Solomon

Collapse -
"must be provided to store an app in secondary storage"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2015 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Understood

That feature was removed in some versions of Android. So this may be the wrong OS for you.

Why did I write that? Read http://pocketnow.com/2013/08/23/google-hates-sdcards

There are folk that get really upset over that change and again, we can go over it but it won't change it.

As to your apps you can't uninstall, look around for a disable feature. I use that to disable and uninstall any updates to that app, clear it's cache and data and get back some space.
Bob

Collapse -
mapping
by James Denison / March 30, 2015 2:22 AM PDT

I don't use Android, prefer older cellphone I have for the little I use it. Check and see if Android allows you to map the external storage to a folder on the internal memory.

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/38263/mount-a-folder-from-external-sd-as-data

Unless the SD card is reformatted as an EXT type file system, you probably can't map it to a folder. If you reformat the SD card to an EXT type file system, then the Android system should see it, and you might be able to accomplish what you want, or at least be able to create a folder that symlinks to the partition on the external SD card.

Collapse -
Android 101?
by James Denison / March 30, 2015 2:43 AM PDT

Actually it's Linux 101, but aimed at Android users. Shows why an SC card with EXT(2,3,4) file systems might solve your problem. In fact I have several flash memory cards with EXT type file systems and anything from LIVE to FULL installations of linux on them. If the Android phone doesn't have the GParted type software to format SD card to an EXT file system, then you can download a free Linux which will allow you to do that.

The easiest and quickest to use would be a LIVE CD version of Lubuntu Linux.
almost everyone has at least a CD burner now, even if not a DVD burner. No need to use extra bandwith either if all you need is GParted, so could get just that alone. It's about 250 MB size download.

Information on Lubuntu.

32 bit version
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/14.10/release/lubuntu-14.10-desktop-i386.iso

64 bit version
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/14.10/release/lubuntu-14.10-desktop-amd64.iso

You burn the ISO as an "image" to a CD. You then reboot and choose to boot from the CD drive, usually available from a Function key.

You can then find the GParted program on it and use that to format the SD card to an EXT file system.

Collapse -
this pretty much does the same thing
by James Denison / March 30, 2015 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Android 101?
Collapse -
Thanks Very much
by alonsolomon / April 5, 2015 6:37 PM PDT

Hi James, I hope you are fine and thank you very much for helping me to sort out my problem.

Thanks,
Alon Solomon

Collapse -
welcome
by James Denison / April 5, 2015 6:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Very much

now we both are doing fine. Wink

Collapse -
Absolutely
by alonsolomon / April 16, 2015 3:59 PM PDT
In reply to: welcome

Hi James, you are right. Sorry for being late to reply.

Regards,
Alon Solomon

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!