General discussion

Almost makes me like HRC...

Rangel Blasts Clinton as 'a Redneck'

Rep. Charlie Rangel is blasting ex-President Bill Clinton as "a redneck" after New York Sen. Hillary Clinton refused for the second year in a row to support his bill to help the mother of police shooting victim Amadou Diallo stay in the country.

"I don't have the slightest clue who Hillary really is," the dismayed Harlem Democrat tells New York Magazine this week. "All I see is a gal who knew she was as good as anyone else, and she saw this guy she could make something of, so she forfeited Illinois and went to Arkansas."

Rangel then added, "That's a hell of a move to make for a redneck, which is all he was."

Asked if he really thought Clinton was a redneck Tuesday morning, Rangel told WWRL Radio's Steve Malzberg and Karen Hunter, "Of course he is. He's from Arkansas."

"You have to remember, you know, Lyndon Johnson was one of the best presidents we had and he was a redneck out of Texas," he explained.

Of course it should be noted that Rangel is NOT a racist and some of his best friends are "rednecks" (not to mention that the main media won't give it much coverage because one must not accuse a black of racism--it just isn't PC).

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Almost makes me like HRC...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Almost makes me like HRC...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
And they have another racist heading the DNC
During a meeting Friday with the Democratic black caucus, Dean praised black Democrats for their work for the party, then questioned Republicans' ability to rally support from minorities.

"You think the Republican National Committee could get this many people of color in a single room?," Dean asked to laughter. "Only if they had the hotel staff in here."
Howard "I had no blacks in my Administration in VT" Dean

Yeah ... just IMAGINE any Republican saying that, and to a black audience! No comment whether or not there was laughter after the hotel staff crack!

Evie Happy
- Collapse -
'racist': Another vicious, unsupported attack, Evie.

How many Blacks do you think there are in Vermont? (I'll help you out here -- take a look at Vermont information and you'll find that Vermont is 96.8% white; the largest "minority" group is Asian/Pacific islander, at 0.9%). So this is a typical unsupported ad hominem attack. OTOH, how close was Bush's State Government cabinet to the demographics of Texas do you think? Hint: Dean's was MUCH closer!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
Oh calm down Dave ...

... nothing vicious or ad hominem. I'm merely pointing out what the other Dems did during the primary.

He stuck his foot in it however. One begins to think that the only contact he has with people of color is when he encounters staff at a hotel.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Careful with those

scurrilous facts, Dave! You might inform someone.

Dan

- Collapse -
{sigh} I remember the good old days.....

....when Rangel actually mattered. But that was a long time ago.

- Collapse -
Rangel actually mattered?

He was on MTP for your side this week. Maybe Russert is trying to even things out Wink

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Might have been before your time, Evie

I'm a bit older than you, remember. But OTOH that illustrates how long it's been, LOL.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) First half of first term wasn't it?
- Collapse -
Charlie Rangel: Poster child for term limits?

The real shame here, Josh, is that the Clintons are in this case absolutely right; for the Democrats to appear to be veering to the far, far left (which they are) is to engage in the political equivalent of the Jonestown mass suicide - with Howard Dean passing out the Kool-Aid.

Whatever one may think of Bill and Hill, the one thing you can accurately say is that while they may have wanted to push further to the left, they at least had the good political judgement to appear to wish otherwise - a judgement that Howard Dean used to share.

The Dems have apparently decided to push Bill Clinton over the side; ir remains to be seen if they'll come to their senses in time for 2008...

- Collapse -
Update! In an ironic twist ...

... Rangel says Dean should apologize

"I think Dean may not have used the right language, which he has had problems with before."

Rangel went on to explain that what the DNC chief meant to say was that "the Republican Party finds it very, very difficult to attract blacks to become public officials."

Yeah right Charlie! Any white Republican made that comment and all hell would break loose!

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Don't you get it, Evie?

Rep. Rangel doesn't want to offend the help at the DNC - namely the 90+ percent of African-Americans who reflexively vote Democrat in any election... Devil

- Collapse -
But

When Hillary runs, he'll give 100% support.

CNET Forums

Forum Info