Computer Help forum

General discussion

Almost dead computer

In April, I refurbished a not too old computer with new guts. A P4x400 Soyo light MB, Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz w/128cache 400fsb chip set, Ultra 256 MB memory PC2100 266Mhz, new fan, larger powersupply, Nvidea video card, and also a larger Hard Drive. Last Sunday everything quit. Turning on the computer, it checks both CD Rom drives, beeps.....................beepbeep, communicates with the floppy drive, and that is it. Power LED remains on and HD LED soon goes out, but nothing else.

In the meantime the monitor remains in limbo. The monitor LED starts up green and then switches to amber. Computer will not boot from a startup disk, nor can I access the BIOS. I have checked both 5volt and 12 volt and they are ok. I had indications of pending trouble earlier as sound waves were distorted and video went bonkers a couple times, also some times I could move the mouse pointer and it would be several seconds before the image on the screen followed. I don't think that high temperature was a problem as I could place my fingers on the CPU heat sink and it was only midly warm. (after powering down, of course)

I have tried Bob Proffit's suggestion to "Boot Problems", removing power from both CD's, HD, and Floppy. Also connecting to another monitor. Results were negative.

As previously, I really appreciate your support. Thanks
Chaz.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Almost dead computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Almost dead computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you checked your video card???

In reply to: Almost dead computer

Symptoms of many beeps is frequently video problem. The AGP slot has a lot of friction for inserting the Video card. [many contacts]. Try reseating the card.

If you followed Robert's instructions you would isconnect power and signal, all cards and get to bare bones.

Collapse -
Re: Almost dead computer

Try bare minimum parts.

CPU/HSF, one memory stick, video card, power supply. If it goes beep beep beep, and no video, then you are down to a smaller list of parts.

The video could be tested in another machine, same for RAM. Change the motherboard and retest.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Almost dead computer

In reply to: Re: Almost dead computer

My mind is in a fuzz. I know what CPU is but can't figure our HSF. I have a spare video card, I'll try, after reseating the current card. Have only one memory stick, anyway, so that is easy. Power supply has a "everything is ok" LeD, costs more but I wanted something better. Be back later. Thanks. Chaz

Collapse -
HSF = HeatSink + FAN

In reply to: Re: Almost dead computer

The power supply can't be discounted. Many go into denial "it can't be the Power Supply." PSUs age and degrade so startup can become problematic, or outright fail and LED's mean nothing. I use a voltmeter and in extreme cases, I use an oscilloscope to show the voltage dips that coincide with lockups.

It's much cheaper to fit a proper size power supply and be sure.

As it stands, I can't write it's the power, but you need to go with least number of parts for now.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: HSF = HeatSink + FAN

In reply to: HSF = HeatSink + FAN

Thanks to everybody, I am now looking at a functioning computer. Disconnecting EVERYTHING and reseating the video card restored computer to (1) beep. (About HSF)In another computer adventure, where things got hairy, I found that I could fry an egg on the top of the computer, totally because the cooling fan froze up. It was replaced with a PS of greater wattage also and now I do occasionally check for air flow out the back of the computer. Also can check the operating temperatures in the BIOS, at least on the computer in question. Again, thanks, thanks, thanks.

Collapse -
''Beeps''

The BIOS performs a power-on self-test (POST) (a built-in diagnostic program that checks system hardware to ensure that everything is present and functioning properly, before the BIOS begins the actual boot), a test which is used to ensure a system is functioning properly. When a problem is identified, the BIOS will normally produce an error message. In some cases, since a problem may be detected so early that the BIOS cannot even access the video card to print the message, a series of beeping pattern will be produced on the speaker to tell a user what the problem is. The exact meaning of the beep codes depends on the type and version of BIOS. A site to check for BIOS Post Codes is "BIOS Central" -- please note the box upper right-hand side identifiying the system BIOS used on the system -- this you must know.

Note: A single beep during the boot process -- usually right before the BIOS startup screen is displayed, is normal and does not indicate a failure as long as the boot process continues.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.