Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Allowing trusted sites on Zone Alarm FireWall

by Ben / December 5, 2003 12:35 AM PST

Just got connected to Cable internet, and am getting popups from Zone Alarm that various attempts to access my computer were blocked.

How do I find out numbers for CNET and other "Trusted" sites so I can include them in Zone Alarm?

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Allowing trusted sites on Zone Alarm FireWall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Allowing trusted sites on Zone Alarm FireWall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ben, I may not fully understand your post...
by glenn30 / December 5, 2003 2:01 AM PST

But it appears ZoneAlarm is doing its job and blocking intrusions into your system. If it is the pop-ups that concerns you this can be changed in ZA's settings to automatically do its thing and not bother you.

Hope this helps,

Glenn

Collapse -
Re:Ben, I may not fully understand your post...
by Ben / December 5, 2003 6:01 AM PST

With ZA you can type in IP #'s for trusted site. Thought there might be a simple way to get the IP # and put it in ZA as trusted site.

Ben

Collapse -
Re:Re:Ben, I may not fully understand your post...
by Keithj / December 5, 2003 9:22 AM PST

Is there a reason why you *want* to allow access to your PC? Otherwise, I'd just turn off ZoneAlarm reporting, and leave it at that.

Much of it may be your ISP "pinging" you to keep the link alive - mine pings at about one a minute - but I still leave those blocked. Does no harm.

Collapse -
Re: Allowing trusted sites on Zone Alarm FireWall
by Styx / December 6, 2003 6:11 AM PST

Actually the Internet Connection Firewall(ICF) that comes with WinXP (must be enabled) is all you'll need. But if you want to use a freebie third-party firewall that doesn't report every stray packet of data flowing on the Internet as a potential security threat like Zone Alarm (I went with Sygate three years ago before recently moving to WinXP) and is just as good at blocking real hackers as anything out there, try getting Sygate personal firewall from http://download.com.com (enter, sygate, in the Search box and press Enter) then uninstalling Zone Alarm; Restarting your computer and installing Sygate 5.5. You've got to be on-line to register Sygate.

That will stop any worries you have about trusted IP's and whatever. Sygate only shows the actual rare attacks on your ports. Actually, I just use ICF and am very careful about what I download.

Collapse -
the xp built in firewal is penetrated to leak test every tim
by vhawk1951 / September 20, 2011 8:39 PM PDT

I'm using windows xp home and the xp built in firewall is penetrated by leak test every time, so it's obviously no good. i s there a version of zone alarm that I can tell to allow certain sites and remember my choice?

Collapse -
leaktest penetrating the xp firewall
by vhawk1951 / September 20, 2011 10:22 PM PDT

if leak test penetrates the xp firewall does that not mean that the xp firewall is ineffective?and clearly it is not all I need.

Collapse -
You're asking this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 20, 2011 10:28 PM PDT

in a discussion dating back 8 years. I hope you don't expect a reply from those posters after all this time.

For my part I know that XP's firewall is fully configurable, but you just have to know how to do that.

But I have used ZA's free version of their firewall before and it just does its job. I was happy with that.

You seem to be asking about blocking sites. That is not a firewall function. The problem is you view these sites in a browser and the firewall has already allowed the browser access to the internet.

You will need other solutions if you want to block web sites.

Mark

Collapse -
leaktest penetrating xp firewall
by vhawk1951 / September 21, 2011 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: You're asking this

ah, clearly I misunderstand firewalls I thought thither function was to keep out sneaky attacks on my computer,

thanks, I'm very dim when it comes to computers.

Collapse -
You're fully right.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 1:41 AM PDT

But now about what you want. You want to block all, but you want to allow certain sites (what's a site?) to do what nonetheless.

And what ports are reported as 'open' by the leak test?

Kees

Collapse -
Those popups probably aren't due to CNet...
by Keith Marcotte / December 6, 2003 1:26 PM PST

These days it is quite normal to have frequent port scans from script kiddies and infected PCs. It is just "background noise" now. Disable the popups in ZA as they are just telling you that it is doing its job. Check the firewall log occasionnally or send the info to mynetwatchman if you want.

The IPs for trusted computers feature is meant for PCs/routers on your internal network (in your house), not the external network.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

VIDEO

Do you have Google Home?

If you don't like the stock appearance of Google Home, here are two quick and easy ways to make it truly yours.