Linux forum

General discussion

allotting memory...

by dansar99 / November 29, 2009 1:05 AM PST

I am trying to figure out my problem with streaming radio on ubuntu forums with not much luck altho one poster asked if I have the latest flash ( I do ) and if I have allotted more memory. That completely confused me.Maybe someone here can help me with this problem. This is what I get when I put " free" in terminal. total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1026644 383012 643632 0 24320 176472
-/+ buffers/cache: 182220 844424
Swap: 1043240 0 1043240

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: allotting memory...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: allotting memory...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
this might be better info...
by dansar99 / November 29, 2009 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: allotting memory...

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1002 627 375 0 73 304
-/+ buffers/cache: 249 753
Swap: 1018 0 1018

Collapse -
Memory allotting is automatic on Linux
by GODhack / November 29, 2009 7:09 PM PST

Flash program itself automatically allocates memory as required, just like all programs on all modern operating systems.

Collapse -
by dansar99 / November 29, 2009 8:59 PM PST

If that's the case this buffering issue has me stumped. I have to use XP to listen to that station. I listened to another station thru an entire football game ( 3 hrs ) w/o interruption with Linux, so it has to be something with that particular player . Dan

Collapse -
Can you give address of that station here?
by GODhack / December 1, 2009 5:02 PM PST
In reply to: well...

Can you give address of that station here?

I want check that station myself others maybe too.

Collapse -
by dansar99 / December 1, 2009 9:25 PM PST

The website is WGR 550 Sports Radio. The " listen live ' link is at the top right corner. Dan

Collapse -
The only time I had allotting memory problem was...
by ahtoi / December 2, 2009 3:49 AM PST

when I try to install a virtual OS. I did go the radio station you posted and I have no problem with it (I am using PClinuxOS).

Collapse -
Thank you for replying..
by dansar99 / December 2, 2009 4:41 AM PST

After further research I figure that memory is not my problem. It has to be with the Ubuntu distro that I'm using. I can always listen on XP. Maybe I will change distro's when I'm up to the task. Thanks again. Dan

Collapse -
It works here too
by GODhack / December 3, 2009 4:22 PM PST

On Gentoo.
It should work on Ubuntu too.
What kind of flash version you have maybe old?

Collapse -
I have the latest...
by dansar99 / December 3, 2009 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: It works here too

flash in ubuntu. The same flash I have in XP. I downloaded the latest LINUX version of OPERA. The player worked a little better in that browser but the problem still exists. I'm sure a Linux techie could figure out my problem. Probably some conflict somewhere. I'm listening to that station right now on XP with no interruptions what so ever. Maybe my sound card doesn't play nice with Linux like it does with XP. Well, Linux is still okay for browsing and my printer also works which amazes me because Linux doesn't recognize my Kodak camera. I was going to buy a new computer with Windows 7 but now with this CHROME OS coming around I Think I'll wait to see what that is all about. Thank you for trying to help. Dan

Collapse -
if opera is better
by GODhack / December 4, 2009 8:29 PM PST
In reply to: I have the latest...

They I suggest to try other browsers (Linux have much more of them than XP).
It is really hard to find where problem is...maybe even buggy audio drivers for your card.

Collapse -
I think I will...
by dansar99 / December 5, 2009 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: if opera is better

stick with Windows. I will try Ubuntu again when the next version comes out. Maybe they will fix these bugs. I will keep Ubuntu as a backup OS in case something bad happens to Windows ( I lost my XP recovery CD's ). Windows works much better on this computer than Linux. Dan

Collapse -
Try Mandriva
by R_Head / December 6, 2009 9:13 PM PST

Just give it a shot. Download Mandriva One is a Live Distro, or the Mandriva OS which is a DVD. If you want to get the Power Pack, is about 60 Euros and has all the proprietary software and drivers.

Give it a shot.

Collapse -
what do you mean...
by dansar99 / December 6, 2009 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: Try Mandriva

It's a "live" distro? Dan

Collapse -
live means it can work from CD
by GODhack / December 8, 2009 4:21 PM PST
In reply to: what do you mean...

live means it can work from CD: without install.
But you can install it too.
Really if you do not like Ubuntu try other distro.
I am not big fan of Ubuntu too.

Collapse -
I tried Mandriva live cd..
by dansar99 / January 9, 2010 12:06 AM PST

but had the same issue with that radio station so I tried another. PCLinuxOS live cd works great and solved that issue. I think that distro uses an older kernel. I'm wondering if I could install it to my HD right over Ubuntu. I've noticed on the Linux forums users are having trouble with grub bootloader. I'm a little wary of messing with my setup because I lost my XP cd's. Dan

Collapse -
Lost XP CDs...
by R_Head / January 9, 2010 1:13 AM PST

You could get some like Ghost Walker and cut an image of your present drive, that will serve you as a backup. Even if you lost your XP CD. Used to do that when I worked as System Manager, now I build Airplaines (better carer change Wink ).

A small history lesson...

PCLOS is made by an exMandriva forum member called TexTar (Texas Star) and he uses the Mandriva spin off to create his Live Distro. He did a pretty good job on it when came out, as time went by, so the Kernel advanced, seems to be locked up behind. So that can explain why you said about the older Kernel.

He also uses Synaptic instead of URPMI and the Repositories are preloaded.

When the Repos are preloaded creates an advantage and disadvantage.

The Advantage is transparent to th User when want to install some, is configured already. The Disadvantage if th Repos are down or have a bad packet, you get a bad install.

The Advantage for the user to give them the power to set the repos is, the flexibility and if is having trouble with one, can use another (they are all over the world). Some repos are down or too busy, so you can change them at will.
The Disadvantage is when installed, there is nothing but the DVD data. If the user is not aware of it, will hate the distro since they majority think on the Microsoft way (Fetch, Download, Install, Use and pray that works as desired).

Collapse -
by dansar99 / January 9, 2010 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Lost XP CDs...

A few months ago I bought Acronis True Image 2009 but am afraid to use it because of all the bad reviews. I guess I could try to make a boot disk from it. I dont know. Maybe I'll just use this live cd when I want to listen. Thank you for replying. Dan

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: Well..

Since I use CLONEZILLA to make images I'm not sure if would need Acronis (ever.)

Collapse -
I wonder...
by R_Head / January 9, 2010 10:27 AM PST

"by dansar99 - 1/9/10 8:06 AM In reply to: live means it can work from CD by GODhack

but had the same issue with that radio station so I tried another. PCLinuxOS live cd works great and solved that issue. I think that distro uses an older kernel. I'm wondering if I could install it to my HD right over Ubuntu. I've noticed on the Linux forums users are having trouble with grub bootloader. I'm a little wary of messing with my setup because I lost my XP cd's. Dan"

What is the problem. I have been using Linux for about 9 years and I never had problem with LiLo or GRUB. I had problems with the install before, but never with the bootloader or dual booting.

Collapse -
by dansar99 / January 9, 2010 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: I wonder...

An experienced user like you would not have any problems, I'm sure. Being as I am a very inexperienced user I tend to hang out at "Absolute beginner forums". On these forums I have noticed that some people are experiencing trouble with Grub2. I still have grub because I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 instead of using a 9.10 install cd. I'm going to look at Clonezilla as Bob suggested. I've only skimmed thru a few tutorials and from what I gathered I had better study up on it. Dan

Collapse -
by R_Head / January 9, 2010 3:33 PM PST
In reply to: well..

My post gave the impression of arrogance, it was not intended. It was more of a surprise. To be quiet honest I did not know the existence of GRUB 2. So thanks for that, I will ask on the Mandriva Forum to see what is up with that.

One thing about Mandriva, they have the tendency to hold back a bit when new stuff comes out, kind of let other people experiment with it before trying to be the Bleeding Edge of Open Source.

Collapse -
by dansar99 / January 10, 2010 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: Perhaps...

I didn't take your post as arrogance at all. I gather from your posts you are light years ahead of me when it comes to technology and I value your input. I was just trying to convey that what seems easy to you is all greek to me. Thank you for replying to my posts. Dan

Collapse -
That is why...
by R_Head / January 10, 2010 7:07 PM PST
In reply to: OH...

I chose Mandriva (formerly known as Mandrake) since is all GUI most of it. I consider myself advance but not the Guru type, I dread the Command Console. Grin

Collapse -
by dansar99 / January 10, 2010 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: That is why...

I did the switch to PCLunixOS and deleted Ubuntu from my HD. I have the KDE desktop that is different from gnome. They have different desktops to download to cd. I might experiment. I like this distro so far. I have no problems with listening to WGR550 radio now. My printer works. Now if I could get my camera recognized I wouldn't need windows at all. Dan

Collapse -
by R_Head / January 11, 2010 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Well...

Is Mandriva Spin Off. You can try Mandriva One that is the Live Distro like PCLOS. One is GNOME other is KDE, so depends which one you want to download. The Mandriva Desktop Environment by default is KDE. But if you decide to install the Full Version that is the DVD, you can choose from KDE, GNOME, XFCE, Enlightenment and many others.

Anyway, what type cam are you trying to set?

Collapse -
I tried..
by dansar99 / January 11, 2010 12:28 AM PST
In reply to: PCLinuxOS

a Mandriva live cd. WGR 550 didn't stream well on it either. I have a Kodak LS443 which connects to a dock. The dock connects via USB. Thats where my problem is. If I could connect the camera w/o the dock I think it would work because this distro supports that model. I need a usb cable with the right connector. Dan

Collapse -
by R_Head / January 11, 2010 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: OH...

What you seems to need is the USB cable that has the small tip at the end. Most Cell Phones has a cable that way to download pics and stuff.

My PS3 has a cable to charge the controller, also works.

Collapse -
GRUB 2 too fast
by GODhack / January 15, 2010 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Perhaps...

Ubuntu made mistake pushing GRUB 2 so fast, even first.
Even "expert" distros still live with old GRUB so not much Linux ppl have good knowledge about it, only beta testers, at the same time new users encounter it and fail to get enough help from community.

Collapse -
Asked the same...
by R_Head / January 15, 2010 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: GRUB 2 too fast

On the Mandriva Forum and got the same response, is too early to even attempt to launch it. That could hurt the distro reputation. So these types of implementations Mandriva usually holds on for a bit longer. Is a good strategy.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?