Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Alleged 'other woman' denies Kerry affair

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 16, 2004 2:41 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alleged 'other woman' denies Kerry affair
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alleged 'other woman' denies Kerry affair
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) So much for the latest pile of trash from the Sludge Report
by Josh K / February 16, 2004 2:46 AM PST

Collapse -
That, of course, is what she could be expected to say, but
by Kiddpeat / February 16, 2004 2:59 AM PST

it does put the ball into the other court to come up with evidence supporting the allegation. BTW, the political pundits are saying the charges came from Clark's camp. Comments?

Collapse -
Didn't Monica deny it at first too? A denial is worth about ` (nt)
by James Denison / February 16, 2004 11:31 PM PST

Collapse -
Let's see now, her simple denial is good enough for you but...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2004 3:18 AM PST

ALL the women's claims against Clinton were not.

All I see is the expected denial--I see nothing supporting its truthfullnes nor its fabrication.

Personally, based on his wife's constantly reminding him that it is HER HOUSE and HER MONEY, I find HIS AFFAIR pretty believable.

Kerry had been unhappily single for most of his time in Washington. His election to the Senate in 1984 came two years after his separation from his wife, Julia Thorne. They were separated six years and divorced in 1988.

His separation and divorce were "awful in every regard," Kerry says. He had two young daughters, Alex and Vanessa. He spent hours on the phone helping them with homework. He spent every weekend in Boston. "Trying to make it all work, trying to be a senator, trying to be a father, trying to hold those pieces together, I found challenging."

Kerry had been a prodigious but reluctant dater, linked in gossip columns to many women, often much younger. He hated the scrutiny. "If you have one date, and you go to a restaurant, and somebody sees you, boom, you're going out," Kerry says. "There's no early test." He became a "Senate hermit."

"This isn't your house, John," she said, according to a former staffer who heard the discussion. "This is my house."

Isn't it Dave who is always talking about smoke and fire?

Collapse -
Re: Let's see now, her simple denial is good enough for you but...

Hi, Ed.

This issue was discussed on the McLauglin report, and it was mentioned that Kerry's reputation is entirely based on the time when he was one of "Washington's most eligible bachelors" -- that this was the first hint of scandal since he was married. Bush was quite the playboy before he married Laura -- maybe you should apply the same criteria to him?

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I do Dave...
Bush was quite the playboy before he married Laura -- maybe you should apply the same criteria to him?

and one thing worth noting is that he hasn't appeared to have influenced anyone to leave the country (someone who was a former intern by the way despite what the article makes of her claims).

Kerry on the other hand appears to have done so and his home life appears to have been a bit "rocky" about the time in question too. "This isn't your house, John," she said, according to a former staffer who heard the discussion. "This is my house."

As YOU are so fond of saying, "where there is smoke there is fire".
Collapse -
Re:I do Dave...
by Josh K / February 16, 2004 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: I do Dave...

Kerry influenced her to leave the country?

Polier's statement was released to the AP in Nairobi, where the 27-year-old freelance journalist is visiting the parents of her fiance, Yaron Schwartzman, an Israeli who was raised in Kenya. She previously worked as an editorial assistant for the AP in New York.

Nice try though. And as for the intern thing, the article doesn't "make" anything of any "claims." She flat-out denies ever having interned for Kerry:

Polier also took issue with reports that referred to her as a former Kerry intern.

"I never interned or worked for John Kerry," she told AP over the phone.

If you have links/evidence to the contrary, please post them.

Collapse -
Re:Re:I do Dave...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2004 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Re:I do Dave...
http://www.eastandard.net/headlines/news17020445.htm

Seems to indicate that there might just be something to that--timing you know.

http://www.timesherald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10968211&BRD=1672&PAG=461&dept_id=33380&rfi=6

Her intern friend doesn't help her story. Last heard from Alex Polier in an e-mail from Israel where she was "honeymooning"--Alex Polier says that Yaron is her fiancee.

Plenty of smoke to go around and the point here (something Dave likes to point out) is that although she "flatly denies" Dave believes every word while another young woman swore something about Clinton and it wasn't good enough (how much did Clinton end up paying?).
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:I do Dave...
by Josh K / February 16, 2004 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:I do Dave...

From your own link:

According to The Sun, there is no evidence of an affair between the two. However, The Sun reported, the woman's parents said Kerry invited their daughter to Washington and asked her to work for his re-election campaign two or three years ago. She declined, they said.

I know how badly you want this story to be true, but it just isn't shaping up that way.

Collapse -
And it was also the Sun...
by Edward ODaniel / February 17, 2004 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Re:I do Dave...

who her father referred to Kerry as a "sleazeball" to but wouldn't amplify it.

So, was the fella her fiancee as she claims or already her husband as her friend claimed--someone's story isn't quite right there.

Plenty of smoke Josh, plenty of smoke.

I am only pointing out what many would prefer not to see because they don't want to have to consider these things but something else that should be reflected on is Kerry's circle of friends "including all the Kennedys--especially the Kennedys) and their hidden but well documented flings as well as those of another man (BC) who strived to emulate JFK.

Collapse -
Re:And it was also the Sun...
by Josh K / February 17, 2004 12:18 AM PST

Or her friend might simply have been wrong, or used the word "honeymoon" by mistake.

You're seeing what you want to see. I have yet to see one iota of proof that she ever even worked for Kerry, never mind anything more.

Collapse -
Then again...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2004 6:12 AM PST
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004072203,00.html

Unsubstantiated (just like what you posted) but rather in conflict.

Journalist Alex Polier taped a talk with a US TV network at Christmas.

The former Washington intern, 27, told all about an alleged fling with the 60-year-old super-rich senator in spring 2001.

Let's hope that US station gets the rest of the evidence.
Collapse -
What hits me, Edward...
by J. Vega / February 17, 2004 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Then again...

Edward, the story said, "Journalist Alex Polier taped a talk with a US TV network at Christmas.".
I don't know if such a tape was done, but if it was, I wonder what U.S. TV network it was. Or even more important, if it was, why are they sitting on it? The question "until when" is in the back of my mind.
An even more chilling thought for some people possibly: If a Producer or other such brass gave the order to erase it, how do they know that some crew dog didn't make a copy? Ted Turner once came down and ordered that all the CNN blooper reels in the building were to be erased (something got out). Yeah, sure.

Collapse -
Re:Alleged 'other woman' denies Kerry affair
by Paul C / February 16, 2004 8:33 AM PST
In a separate statement, Polier's parents, Terry and Donna Polier of Malvern, Pa., dismissed the "completely false and unsubstantiated" allegations about their daughter.

"We love and support her 100 percent and these unfounded rumors are hurtful to our entire family," the statement said. "We appreciate the way Senator Kerry has handled the situation, and intend on voting for him for president of the United States."

The statement did not address purported quotes by Polier's parents in the British tabloid The Sun that were harshly critical of Kerry.
(emphasis mine)

The specific statement from Mr. Polier was that Sen. Kerry was a "slimebag". I wonder why he felt necessitated to address everything except what he said? Surely he had to know that he'd been quoted as saying that.

Why do I keep thinking that somewhere there's a large cash payment involved here?
Collapse -
Well, at least she's on record.
by Roger NC / February 16, 2004 12:41 PM PST

There were 3 choices regardless of truth.

Ignore it. Unfortunately with election politics, news storm can exist with nothing to support it.

Sell her story to big expose article in some journel or other for money and 15 minutes of fame. And a life of being the butt of jokes perhaps.

Deny it, as she's done. And at the moment, it's at least equal if not slightly in her favor in a she said they said contest. At least to me, since she would definately know anyway.

At least she should be able to support her story with the one fact that should be easy to verify, that she wasn't an intern for Kerry.

It would have been even better if her parents statement had reference or denied the alleged statements they made to British tabloids.

But till someone can believably contradict her, guess she deserves the benefit of doubt.

Collapse -
Re: Well, at least she's on record.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 16, 2004 12:44 PM PST

Hi, Roger.

>>It would have been even better if her parents statement had reference or denied the alleged statements they made to British tabloids.<<
Give me a break -- the British tabloids are even lower on the veracity pool than our own "Star," "Enquirer," etc.!

Collapse -
So just a blanket denial they had given any previous statements to press
by Roger NC / February 16, 2004 1:36 PM PST

if that was the case.

I just thought if they and her were going to make statements at all that if the quotes were wrong, they should have refuted them while they were at it.

I had the idea that the organization in question was on the order of the Enquirer etc even if I had never read them. And of little concrete value, even if occasionally breaking news may turn up, it would be hard to sort form the chaff.

As I did say, at the moment, I'd have to give the benefit of doubt to her side of the story unless something new came along to reasonably raise doubts or contradictions.

I'm sure we'll hear more from both sides, allegations, statements, denials, foaming at the mouth from political spinners and party faithfuls.

Collapse -
Re: the Tabloid press

Hi, Roger.

BTW, I wonder if that space alien will be making endorsements in this year's election!

Collapse -
Charlie already has...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2004 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Re: the Tabloid press

woops, I thought you said SPACED alien.

Collapse -
Knew you wouldn't like that link BUT...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2004 11:33 PM PST

you might try this one A top source tells Sneed Gore was talking about Kerry's sexual baggage "with a young woman" as recently as late last week!

The allegation has been made by Drudge Report, the conservative website which was the first to report former President Bill Clinton's affair with another intern -- Monica Lewinsky.

"The last time I talked to her she'd sent me an e-mail from Israel where she was honeymooning," she said. - doesn't sound right since Polier herself says "I am in Kenya with my fiance visiting his family,..."

The East African Standard mentions interesting things too such as "But at Film Studios, where Yaron was reported to be working, the managing director, Mr Charles Simpson denied any knowledge of the man." (Yaron is the "fiancee")

Plenty of smoke Dave, plenty of smoke.

Collapse -
First link.
by Roger NC / February 16, 2004 11:45 PM PST

While interesting reading, the first link is hints, reports, unnamed sources, allegations, all normal in politics and government reporting I admit. Many times true information is passed by someone that doesn't want to be named for fear of reprisals. But often information is slanted or even altered by someone with an ax to grind also. Guess further time will tell about some of these allegations.

And the bit about Gore backing Dean so he could have Dean's supporters when Gore runs again and against Hillary was either funny for wild speculation or depressing that it is true that such disregard for expectations that anyone in Gore's position would make a sincere recommendation on belief in the candidate and policies. Not surprising maybe, but depressing.

And the paragraph speculating about did he talk too long to a woman in a pub a few years ago weakens any credence I might give to the rest of the article. Talking, even a little flirting, isn't cheating, even if we shouldn't do it sometimes.

Further developments will tell I guess.

roger

Collapse -
You are right and as I have often said...
by Edward ODaniel / February 17, 2004 12:28 AM PST
In reply to: First link.

failure to link to or mention sources by name lessen credibility but should still get one to doing some checking rather than blind acceptance.

The bit about Gore rings pretty true when one considers it as politics and is something that all politicians (regardless of party) consider when they back someone if they have any future aspirations. I find nothing unusual or even questionable about Gore wanting Dean's supporters--it was his worry about supporting a womanizer that draws one's attention.

Don't accept any of it at face value but don't hesitate to counter with it when others who have claimed fire in the past can't even see smoke in the present.

I do wish that ALL reporters had to cite sources--would eliminate a lot of the trash one reads in the papers and would assign blame names in the event of slanders.

Collapse -
The big new in that column...
by Dan McC / February 16, 2004 11:46 PM PST

is that Russle Crowe might play Moe in a movie about the three stooges.

Dan

Collapse -
So you were already aware of allegations that Gore supported Dean...
by Edward ODaniel / February 17, 2004 12:30 AM PST

because of Kerry's womanizing?

Collapse -
Unsourced allegations are news. Glad you think so. nt
by Dan McC / February 17, 2004 3:13 AM PST

Collapse -
Remember that next time you cite a newspaper...
by Edward ODaniel / February 17, 2004 5:26 AM PST

most use the same "unnamed sources".

Yes, Dan, it is news. Just as "troops are 'bogged down' outside Bagdad" was when you were raving back then.

It may cease to be "news" when all the facts are in or it may become news of greater import.

Collapse -
Further links
by Roger NC / February 16, 2004 11:59 PM PST

One point about the Drudge report, has anyone seen any of the other news sources it names as investigation confirm they are interested even?

"A serious investigation of the woman and the nature of her relationship with Senator John Kerry has been underway at Time magazine, ABC News, the Washington Post, the Hill and the Associated Press, where the woman in question once worked," the Drudge website said.

Oh well, if all the reporters are outside the house of the parents of the fiance, there must be enough interest at the companies to print more as they investigate.

The honeymoon quote does conflict with the fiance statement.

Interestingly, so far different stories have named her as (at some time or the other) an intern for Kerry, an intern for Associated Press, an intern in the house of Parliament. Not impossible perhaps, but sounds like someone might have a bit of fact checking to do.

Well the campaigning has begun in earnest, and any possible bad news will be dug up, and mud will fly in plenty.

Guess just stay tune folks is all we can really do regarding the actual facts, if they're not so buried we never recognize them if they do appear.

Collapse -
Re:Further links
by Edward ODaniel / February 17, 2004 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: Further links

Hi Roger,

First, one has to accept that it was The Drudge Report that first came out with the Monica/Bill story. He is an admitted muchraker but what he brings to the surface is most often amply verified afterwards.

I had another link but can't find it now that mentioned something about a Time magazine source and an AP source saying they had info that wasn't yet reported but they were working on it.

Regarding her internship, I have no doubt that she was NOT Kerry's intern (don't read into that Wink ) but she was an intern who likely worked with although not for him. Her intern friend's comments seem to indicate that.

Collapse -
intern point makes sense in a way
by Roger NC / February 17, 2004 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Further links

The idea she was an intern with someone else, even assoicated press, but had dealings with Kerry would make the confusion about that point understandable.

What is the news alerts always say? Stayed tuned for full story at 11.

Guess we'll have to wait till "11". Wink

roger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?