HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

All user profiles corrputed except for Administrator

by Darkskeleton / May 27, 2008 9:50 AM PDT

My problem is that at the windows logon screen, whenever I try to load up a user profile (any that is not the Default administrator account) it gives a message along the lines of User profile may be corrupted, contact your adminstrator right after the screen turns black for a moment.

After that it gives another message saying that the user profile cannot be loaded and it instead will load a temporary profile, no changes will be made to the profile while logged in on the temp profile. Then it stalls for a few seconds, and gives the same two messages except that in the second time for the temporary profile message it has additional text at the bottom "DETAIL - Operation has completed succesfully."

Also whenever I do log in with the administrative account I have to click on it twice, the first time it just gives me the same black screen then goes back to the base logon screen as if I had no clicked anything.

The first (and only thing really) that I tried to get rid of the problem was to delete the user accounts then create new ones, but this did absolutely nothing.

If anyone could give me some advice on how to solve this, it'd be greatly aprreciated =) Thx in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All user profiles corrputed except for Administrator
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All user profiles corrputed except for Administrator
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Without Much More Info....Left Field W.A.G....
by tobeach / May 27, 2008 4:35 PM PDT

Have you recently installed a new program or done so via an existing programs auto update (even without knowing it)? Spybot 1.52? Happy

Collapse -
More Info?
by Darkskeleton / May 27, 2008 8:41 PM PDT

I used system restore for another problem (not the Windows XP one but the one that comes with the HP Software when buying a HP Pavillion a1560n computer, the problem was that some system file got corrupted and it required it to be REPAIRED but I failed at remembering that Repair =/= System Restore, however it did solve that issue), which messed up the installations of a lot of programs. I did install programs but only the ones that were already on the computer and had been working fine since 4ever. (Ex. COMODO Firewall Pro, AVG Free Edition, Microsoft Office, Printer Driver)

Collapse -
Don't Know What to Offer....
by tobeach / May 28, 2008 4:54 PM PDT
In reply to: More Info?

Reason I made previous ?? was that I had similar result (old profiles corrupted & unable to use, New Default, new user desktops auto created & displayed) upon trying install of Spybot S&D 1.52 after removal of old S&D 1.4. New desktop had nothing except My Comp, Recycle Bin, & My Docs completely EMPTY of ALL old documents previously contained. Only My Music & My Pictures folders inside BOTH empty. Not sure how I fixed but copy & pasted previous desktop into current profile helped. Ran
SFC as well. Lucked out!

Another user had same result after "accidentally" updating to 1.52 via usual weekly update online, not realizing that update included new version. In his case a system restore (XP one) brought up "old" desktop w/ all files intact & new 1.52 working as well. Go figure!

Apparently NOT your situation... Perhaps someone else has better ideas to offer? I hope so...Good Luck! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.