Speakeasy forum

General discussion

All those celebrities ...

by Evie / September 9, 2005 11:58 PM PDT

... I keep hearing ''I want to do what I can'' so they do concerts and solicit donations. How about just ponying up directly or get involved w/o having a camera crew in tow!

Anyone who hasn't heard about Katrina is living under a rock. And anyone that wants to donate has no end of ways to do so. This is just simply NOT a situation where there is any lack of awareness. I was chatting with someone on MSN Messenger last night and it now has ''Donate to the Red Cross'' across the bottom of the message window. My personal inclination is towards other organizations and everyone knows about the ARC so I don't see the need to keep pushing that.

What irks me the most is celebs with family that lost homes and everything, yet they have the means to help those close ''home'' where charity is supposed to begin.

Watching scenes from the Katrina consert in the background and the celebs yucking it up in the phone banks. It is just making me ill. JMO of course. How many have second, third, fourth homes they could offer up? Or would that be too much to ask?

Evie Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All those celebrities ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All those celebrities ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At least it seemed to be about helping
by Cindi Haynes / September 10, 2005 1:35 AM PDT

Except for Chris Rock, who managed to inexplicably state that "George Bush hates midgets" and delivered his lines with...I'll nicely say anger and bitterness.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
I just can't stomach watching these things ...
by Evie / September 10, 2005 1:48 AM PDT

... even the good messages are scripted and even the actors can't sound genuine. I just keep thinking please stop asking little old me to reach deeper in my pocket, pony up the money from your own, and STOP already! GIVE out FREE CD's of your music to people that donate at WalMart and be done with it. I always am reminded of Sarah Jessica Parker lamenting that she would have family members forced onto food stamps when welfare reform went through. And they are supposedly ''in touch''???

That said I don't question that most of these celebs really are good intentioned. I guess maybe they are as conditioned as some of the rest of us to go straight to some fundraising operation rather than just DOING of themselves.

All these celebs with family in the area confound me that they didn't help and urge them to get out. For folks so tied to that city in what often seems to be a less-than-logical emotional way, they sure seem quite far removed from the reality of actually living there. Just my observations.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Of course there was Sean Penn who became personally
by Kiddpeat / September 10, 2005 1:42 AM PDT

involved with photographer in tow. Did he ever rescue anyone, or did he need rescuing?

I do agree with your point. How many families could Barbra or Ophra take in? How many have they taken in?

Devil

Collapse -
He's still there ...
by Evie / September 10, 2005 1:50 AM PDT

... trying to save his image if you ask me. He would do far more to personally fund a competant rescue team like Al Gore did to little fanfair (to his credit I might add).

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I didn't hear about Al Gore
by Cindi Haynes / September 10, 2005 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: He's still there ...

Good on him if he did some good instead of just whining about it like the other politicos!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
From ''conservative'' Newsmax no less
by Evie / September 10, 2005 2:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Kudos to Al Gore!
by Cindi Haynes / September 10, 2005 2:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Speaking of Sean Penn and...
by Edward ODaniel / September 10, 2005 11:27 PM PDT

alGore, Gore is to be commended and Penn has probably limited his future acting roles to comedy.

Here is an account of Sean Penn's rescue "efforts".

http://federalistpatriot.us/news/Penn.asp

Captain Sean Penn to the rescue...er...uh...HELP!

a quotable quote form it - "One bystander queried Penn and all his golden boys, "How are you going to get any people in that thing?" Of course, that was never the objective. "

Collapse -
It doesn't bother me
by EdH / September 10, 2005 2:26 AM PDT

As long as they are doing SOMETHING and not getting in the way (which Sean Penn did a little). I'm glad that people are doing what they can even if it's my little sketch auction or a big celeb donating a lot of money, time or talent. Besides, you don't necessarily know what else they might be doing.

I heard that Spielberg gave $750 grand. Hard to complain about that. Doesn't bother me if he gets a little publicity. If he didn't people might be askig his why he didn't do anything.

Of course they're silly and vain and obtuse. What can you expect? That's how they are. Money and talent do not confer intellect. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I never watch the concerts and charity specials. I find them irritating, but some people like that kind of thing.

Collapse -
I guess I agree mostly ...
by Evie / September 10, 2005 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: It doesn't bother me

... I never watch the concerts and charity specials. I find them irritating...

Guess I was coming off being irritated myself as I didn't watch them but they were discussing them and showing clips.

Yes, as long as they aren't getting in the way, doing something is better than nothing. I'm not big on demanding folks divulge what they are doing, but when (understandably for the venue) they are basically silent about what they are doing and essentially using celebrity to beg others to give it just irks me. I don't see your auction as exploiting the tragedy to boost sketch sales. But quite often celebs use such to boost sagging careers and record sales (a portion of the proceeds goes to ...) and I especially dislike this. Given how much Ray Romano made in his last season, when I hear him interviewed and he exclaims that he is doing "anything he can do", I find it hard to believe that SOMEONE hasn't gotten wind of whatever his behind-the-scenes contribution might be. Therefore I'm doubtful that given most of the means of celebs they are doing all they really can do personally -- which is fine, so long as they aren't urging me to "give give give".

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Nor I
by Angeline Booher / September 10, 2005 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: It doesn't bother me

Celebrities sold War Bonds in WWII. Jerry Lewis started the MS Telethons. Celebrities have traveled overseas to entertain our troops in several wars, including Iraq.

Stars afflicted with conditions like Parkinson's Disease, spinal cord injuries, depression, bipolar disorder, hearing loss, cancer, and substance abuse have been activists, and did help push them into the public eye.

Members of our TN Titans football team have been active in fund raising (as well as their other civic contributions), as are other teams. Our quarterback worked to fill 3 semi-trailer trucks with supplies, and quickly ended up with 17.

Let's face it - some people won't give unless their celebrities of choice make appeals, with or without some entertainment thrown in. Though not applicable here, why have charity balls, charity tournaments, etc. when folks could contribute without them.

Also, we do not know which celebrities have or have not made monetary contributions. After all, they are tax deductible, if not out of the goodness of the heart. I reckon some may be just as moved by the suffering and devastation as we are, and they can phone those like Larry King at will.

Regardless, anybody who so chooses can make contributions to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. at any time with no need to wait for disasters.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: "Celebrities have traveled overseas
by John Robie / September 10, 2005 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Nor I

to entertain our troops...."

And that I have great respect for many celebrities. During the Korean War as well as WWII Bob Hope & company spent a lot of time with the military overseas entertaining. I did see him once briefly but was on duty and couldn't attend his show. During the Nam War I was assigned to an area in the Far East that was off the beaten trail for celebrities entertainment. We occasionally got some USO entertainment from StateSide, but big name entertainment avoided coming our way. Somehow Tony Bennet (the guy who sang that San Francisco song later) found out about us and flew in spending 3 days & night entertaining. He was just like one of the boys & even drank and socialized with all ranks. No one will ever forget his thoughts about us way out there.

Collapse -
This donation of entertainment ...
by Evie / September 10, 2005 7:50 AM PDT

... is in an WHOLE 'nuther class vs. givning a concert at home to beg for donations from the audience, IMHO.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
That is a very nice story!
by Angeline Booher / September 10, 2005 7:51 AM PDT

I have Bob Hope's book, "I Never Left Home" (about WWII). It is not in hardcover, and is about the soze of a Time magazine. Lots of wonderful photos and tales.

(One of my Tony Bennett favorites is "Stranger In Paradise".)

Some of the Country music stars around here have quietly gone to Afganistan and Iraq, Charlie Daniels being one.

Celebrities usually have plenty of money to donate, but some of them just want to do more on a personal basis.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!