HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

all of my photos are now "read only"

by donnav63 / January 30, 2006 4:22 AM PST

I thought I was being smart by trying to organize my photos into separate files. I took one large folder and moved the pictures into 8 smaller, more specific folders. I then moved the original large folder to the recycle bin, which I emptied twice. Now, when I try to access my pictures, I get the message "file could not be opened". When I check the properties of the photos, I see that they are now "read only" files. What did I do? And how can I fix it? I am running Windows XP Home. And using Nero 7 Ultra Edition for the photos. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: all of my photos are now "read only"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: all of my photos are now "read only"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Donna, Have You Tried??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 5:19 AM PST

RIGHT click on each folder that contains picture files, choose "Properties". When the properties window of the folders opens, then UNCHECK the box that says: "Read Only". Then click on "Apply", then OK. During this last process a small window will ask you about a couple of options. Choose the one that says: "Include all subfolders and files inside this folder", then click on OK.

All picture files inside the folders now should be editable and readable.

It might also be possible that you changed the permissions somehow..In that case, after RIGHT clicking on the folder, choose "Sharing and Security", then make sure the folder is shared for all users.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Still defaults to "read only"
by donnav63 / January 30, 2006 9:53 PM PST

Dear Grif,

I unchecked "read only", hit apply, and OK. But the file still defaults to "read only" again. When I try to drag the folder to the shared documents folder, it won't take. Somehow, though, I was able to find my photos and bring them back into the Kodak Easyshare program that came with my digital camera. Now I am able to edit them in that program. However, when I try to bring the pictures into the Nero Photo Snap program, it tells me that that file cannot be opened.

All I wanted to do was to move my photos from one hard drive to a new one and oraganize them. It was when I created new folders that I started the problems. There must be an easier way.

Thanks for your time.

Donna

Collapse -
Try using a USB portable drive
by glb613 / January 31, 2006 7:21 PM PST

If you still have the photos on the old drive, transfer them using a USB portable drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.