HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

ALL Norton Antivirus Viruses... HELP please!!

by masikisticangel / June 4, 2008 7:44 AM PDT

I installed Norton Antivirus 2008, and soon after did a full scan with ClamWin. When the scan was done, it came up with these virus results (all related, and found in Norton Antivirus folders, like Symantec Shared, etc. I have had continuing problems with them, because they seem to come back soon after being safely deleted in safe mode.

I have Windows XP Home, and I really don't know what more to do from here, so I am asking for all the help, and suggestions I can get here. Thanks so much in advance!

Here are the virus's:

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Application Data\Symantec\Layouts\Norton AntiVirus\15.0.0.58\SymAllLanguages\NAVCD_RETAIL\90100\NAV\External\NORTON\symlctnk.dll: Trojan.Clicker-1535 FOUND

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Application Data\Symantec\Layouts\Norton AntiVirus\15.0.0.58\SymAllLanguages\NAVCD_RETAIL\90100\Setup.exe: Trojan.Killav-152 FOUND

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\Downloads\sdsetup.exe: Trojan.Dropper-7556 FOUND

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\Downloads\spybotsd152.exe: Trojan.Dropper-7556 FOUND

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymSetup\{77FFBA7E-0973-4F39-BBDB-AC2F537578D2}_15_5_0_23\Setup.exe: Trojan.Killav-152 FOUND

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ALL Norton Antivirus Viruses... HELP please!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ALL Norton Antivirus Viruses... HELP please!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Run an on-line scan......
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 4, 2008 11:12 AM PDT

Please perform a BitDefender Online Virus and Malware Scan

# Click on I Agree.
# An ActiveX warning box will appear, click on Install.
# Under Select What You Want To Check For Viruses.
# Please Check My Computer and Click Ok
# Now Click On Click Here To Scan

Please perform this online scan: F-Secure Online Scanner

The online scanner is on the bottom right of the page.
Follow the directions in the F-Secure page for proper Installation.

* You may receive an alert on the address bar at this point to install the ActiveX control.
* Click on that alert and then click "Install ActiveX component".
* Read the license agreement and click "Accept".
* Click "Custom Scan" and be sure the following are checked:

* Scan whole System
* Scan all files
* Scan whole system for rootkits
* Scan whole system for spyware
* Scan inside archives
* Use advanced heuristics

* When the scan completes, click the "I want to decide item by item" button.
* For each item found, Select "Disinfect" and click "Next".

Collapse -
Uninstall ClamWin and scan with Norton AntiVirus
by Michael_York / June 10, 2008 9:45 AM PDT

Hi masikisticangel,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your post.

Your computer appears to be infected with various Trojan infections. You mention that you installed Norton AntiVirus and then installed ClamWin and ran a scan with that application. The problem here is that you most likely are experiencing a software conflict and therefore your system has been compromised. I would strongly suggest that you remove ClamWin and any other antivirus applications from your system so that Norton AntiVirus operates properly. The rule of thumb is that you should never have more than one antivirus application installed and running in the background at the same time.

Next, open Norton AntiVirus and run LiveUpdate, which will download and install the latest program and definition files available. You may want to run LiveUpdate multiple times, until it informs you that there are no more updates available.

Since your computer appears to be infected with Trojans, which can sometimes infect system files, please restart your computer in Windows Safe Mode, launch Norton AntiVirus and then perform a "Full System Scan." If any infections are found you should choose to remove them and then perform a Full System Scan again until it reports no infections are present.

Thank you,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.