Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

All .NET Framework Windows XP Updates failing

by dramaartwriting / March 10, 2012 11:01 AM PST

Dell Dimension 3000

I downloaded and installed most of the Dell drivers and Windows Updates are succeeding except for the ones pertaining to .NET Framework, which simply say "failed" then lists them in Updates Not Installed. When I tried installing the .NET Framework from CD instead it gave me a message saying that newer versions of the install were already in place. Do I have to uninstall the newer version of .NET Framework in order to go through Windows Updates in order and proceed, and if so how do I uninstall it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All .NET Framework Windows XP Updates failing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All .NET Framework Windows XP Updates failing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Do you use .Net Framework at all?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 10, 2012 10:04 PM PST

If not, uninstall them all then after a reboot see if Windows Update offers them again.

Any software that needs .Net Framework will tell you what it needs.

Mark

Collapse -
use and how
by dramaartwriting / March 11, 2012 7:30 AM PDT

I'm not sure whether anything I do uses the .Net Framework... I'm unfamiliar with what kinds of programs use it, except for one program called PAINT.NET which I might have to uninstall too.

So to uninstall the .Net Framework, would they show up under obvious names in Windows Components in Add and Remove Programs? Or do I have to do something more techie that I'm unfamiliar with to uninstall them?

Collapse -
Re: uninstalling .Net framework
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: use and how

You'll find them under Microsoft .Net. Just uninstall and see what happens. They are totally unrelated to PAINT.NET so I expect that to run just as well as it did before.

Kees

Collapse -
PAINT.NET
by dramaartwriting / March 11, 2012 12:25 PM PDT

I actually think the reason I ended up with a newer version of the .Net Framework before I had installed the Windows Updates for it was because PAINT.NET would not run without it for some reason and I had looked for it on Microsoft.com first separately because of the message requesting that .Net 3.5 be installed. It's called PAINT.NET on download.com, but their website is NOT www.paint.net ironically.

Collapse -
Uninstalling also not working
by dramaartwriting / March 14, 2012 5:20 AM PDT

The .Net Frameworks on the Add/Remove program list that would not uninstall were:

2.0 Service Pack 2

It evidently can't find the files to uninstall though it's on the program list.

I tried doing a search on the computer but no results for the query.

In despair I googled for a download of the files and the ones I download if I attempt to use them to uninstall it, simply give a message that "The file 'c:\(long series of letters and numbers)\dotnetfx20\' is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2. Try to find the installation package 'netfx20a_x86.msi' in a folder from which you can install Microsoft .NET Framework Service Pack 2."

Same for my attempt at finding a file for 3.0. And I couldn't even find a "netfx.msi" download to attempt it on 1.1.

Collapse -
Paint.NET = MSPaint + steroids
by gordon451 / March 11, 2012 7:49 PM PDT
In reply to: use and how

Hi - First, Paint.NET is a beefed-up version of the old and unmissed MS Paint. If you're not into graphics apps, you don't need it.

Ummm... the URL paint.net has nothing to do with MS Paint...

Second, the .NET Framework is Microsoft's current imitation of Java. Like Java, it is alleged to be cross-platform -- but somehow I don't see Apple or the *nix people implementing it any time soon.

You don't need .NET, as there are many indie apps which won't ever use it until MS makes Windows itself fully dependent on it as they did with IE. That is unlikely to happen.

Just uninstall it.

Gordon.

Collapse -
Oops... Forgot...
by gordon451 / March 11, 2012 9:42 PM PDT

...that Paint.NET does absolutely require the .NET Framework...

Gordon.

Collapse -
Re: Paint.net
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Oops... Forgot...

Thanks for the addition. In a post above I mentioned it wasn't necessary, but now I see it is using .Net.

Our description on http://download.cnet.com/Paint-NET/3000-2192_4-10338146.html says the setup will install the latest version if none is present. So indeed, it won't function if you just uninstall all .Net versions. But that's easy to correct by either installing the latest version yourself or by running the Paint.net setup again.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Just another thought
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 10, 2012 10:07 PM PST

I saw where you said you downloaded and installed most of the Dell drivers and Windows Updates.

Why was this? If you have reinstalled XP recently how did you do that, and did you install all the necessary drivers from Dells website?

Mark

Collapse -
reinstall
by dramaartwriting / March 11, 2012 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Just another thought

The computer was previously owned, and the previous owner had reinstalled XP but at least some of the Dell drivers were either installed out of order or else were not installed at all, because the sound would not work until I installed drivers for it.

I installed from the "All Files for Dimension 3000" list in the order they were listed on the support drivers page, except for the Removable Storage part of the list. I am unsure whether they listed them in proper order, and unsure whether I would need the Removable Storage drivers and downloads, and unsure where I would find the list of the proper order for installing if they weren't in the proper order, and unsure whether just installing everything over again in the order once I am sure of the order whether that would fix or or whether I'd have to find some way of uninstalling them all first, and I don't know whether the Dell drivers and downloads would be relevant to the .Net Framework... if it's not, then I don't see any urgent need to try and figure all that out.

It is "possible" that the previous owner had more than one XP disk and used the wrong one as well.

Collapse -
I would
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: reinstall

install all available drivers, then upgrade to SP3 as soon as possible if you haven't already done that.

Mark

Collapse -
SP3
by dramaartwriting / March 14, 2012 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: I would

Under My Computer properties it says Service Pack 3 so it must have that part completed already.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?